Young one and calisthenics

Options
Tylerman35
Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
So I'm new here. 18 year old (male if you can't tell from my pic, lmao). I'm into doing bodyweight exercises and avoiding gyms (never really like using weights. I like a challenge bodyweight most days).

My point of this post is sometimes I get run down and think to myself, "Man I need to look better. More muscle, nutrition, etc..."

So I decided to change 2 weeks ago. I have a personal trainer (I somehow got talking to him as a friend before all this and he's sending me programs and diet and cool stuff like that) and I'm seeing progress just in those two weeks.

As an 18 year old, it's hard to eat healthy and drink water. I've been drinking 8-10 cups of water and 2 protein shakes everyday. It's mentally hard choosing to eat healthy. I work at a Tavern and can get free food if I want. But I choose to eat healthy club sandwich if I eat there. I used to drink equal to or less than 3 cups a day.

I pass so many fast food stores on my way home and always tell myself, "No, I need to eat healthy and do better"

MFP has helped me so much in the 9 days so far. And I'm looking pretty decent. Muscle in arms, slightly bigger chest so far, and abs are getting defined.

So if there's anybody that wants to add me as a friend9au6al15mkj0.jpg
Please do and I'll add you back!!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't look overweight, so I'm assuming you want to gain muscle. Hopefully you have a calorie goal set to 10-20% over your maintenance calories, otherwise I see nothing at all wrong with bodyweight exercises. That's what I do exclusively because I have spinal damage and can't lift weights over about 30 lbs above my own body weight. I make my workouts into circuit training, so sets of push ups, pull ups, squats, dips, crunches, planks, leg raises, then repeat a circuit for up to 90 minutes a workout. I mix in some cardio to keep my calories even (I don't want to gain weight), but if you're in a healthy weight range you can easily just use the bodyweight training as your cardio. At your age your body is going to crave the calories and laugh off bad foods, so just don't go overboard and you should be fine. I stay away from fast food as well, but I love me some Subway and the occasional double or triple burger or roast beef sandwich for the protein punch. If you have the calories, nothing wrong with it.

Good luck!
  • Tylerman35
    Tylerman35 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't look overweight, so I'm assuming you want to gain muscle. Hopefully you have a calorie goal set to 10-20% over your maintenance calories, otherwise I see nothing at all wrong with bodyweight exercises. That's what I do exclusively because I have spinal damage and can't lift weights over about 30 lbs above my own body weight. I make my workouts into circuit training, so sets of push ups, pull ups, squats, dips, crunches, planks, leg raises, then repeat a circuit for up to 90 minutes a workout. I mix in some cardio to keep my calories even (I don't want to gain weight), but if you're in a healthy weight range you can easily just use the bodyweight training as your cardio. At your age your body is going to crave the calories and laugh off bad foods, so just don't go overboard and you should be fine. I stay away from fast food as well, but I love me some Subway and the occasional double or triple burger or roast beef sandwich for the protein punch. If you have the calories, nothing wrong with it.

Good luck!

Thanks bro! Yeah my calorie intake according to trainer and MFP is 3100, I am at 2,200 right now. So I should hit that easy today. I didn't realize if you drank a couple protein shakes how they can help your calorie goal.

For the bodyweight - I love it! I sometimes still hit the gym just for something different and it's free (school gym). But I prefer bodyweight. It's more of a challenge and I like that.

As for weight - I am currently 162 and aiming for 175. Then add another 10. Once I hit that, another 10 (DJ Khalid, lolol). My goal is eventually 195ish. I don't want to be lower than 190 though. That's my ultimate goal. Stay above 190