Junk Food cheap and Healthy food expensive?

Options
124»

Replies

• Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Staceygram wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head: Lentils, frozen broccoli, oats, potatoes, squash, cabbage, black beans, canned tomatoes, rice, carrots, tofu, and apples are all super-affordable (at least where I live).

Do some people spend more when they change their diet? Absolutely -- there is a lot of tempting stuff out there.

But generally if you buy in season, pay attention to sales, avoid trendy foods, and build meals around staples, you can keep your budget under control.

And EGGS! The power of EGGS! So cheap, so fatty and protien-tastic! So versatile!

ETA: It's a worthwhile investment to learn how to cook your own dried rice, beans, and lentils (among other things) from scratch. Super cheap and an easy way to stock up for the week, and they can all be flavored with cheap ingredients like garlic, onion, and bay leaf.

Like the Canadian above, I agree the US pricing often makes me want to cry. I travel through the US a lot and when I see things like a dozen eggs for 74 cents (usually 2.99 and up in my town) or giant chicken breasts at $2/lb when we pay $2.99/lb on sale for much smaller pieces. I lucked out this week when a local butcher had lean ground beef on for $2.99/lb but you had to buy $10 lbs to get that price. The average price right now in grocery stores on sale is $4/lb and up for regular ground beef.

I haven't seen eggs for .79 for decades. Usually where I live they are $3-4. Where I work they can be $2 on rare sales.

I've seen them in Michigan, Ohio and Illinois at that price. When we're camping I also stock up at that price.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I saved $700 a month between the wife and I moving from garbage food + fast food to home cooked and healthy. YMMV.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Here the "junk" food is often less expensive than the food that's marketed as being healthier for you.

I've been spending a lot more money on things like fruit and produce than I used to but I try to look at it like this: I'm eating out less, which includes fast food and going out for dinners so really, I'm just using that extra money that I'm saving and applying it to something else.
    Steer away from foods that are marketed as being healthier for you. You are paying for the advertising. Buy simple, cheap foods most of the time, and splurge on some luxury items now and then.

I more meant things like fruits and vegetables and whole grains, blah blah blah. When people say, "eat healthier foods" that's what they mean and that's what I meant.

Marketed was probably the wrong word. Maybe I should've said something like, "food that people are told is healthy." Or something.
    I like to comment on this version as well. The idea of "superfoods" can lead to both restrictive eating (and thus risk of malnutrition), lots of stress, loss of taste, and a more expensive shopping cart. Something really bad happened when apples and potatoes, pasta and ground beef wasn't "good enough" anymore.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I think that the big difference is that the less expensive healthier foods tend to involve more prep time. Not all, but many.
    That's usually true. There are some that are pretty quick and easy, but many require washing, peeling, and cooking rather than just opening a package. They also tend to require some planning and waiting, instead of being ready almost immediately after you decide you want them. I think a lot of what people identify as high prices for healthy food is actually high prices for convenient healthy food.

That is so interesting. I call that "perceived convenience". I have found from real life experience that with just a little planning and thinking ahead, "real", cheap foods are both more versatile and easy than "convenience food", and doesn't take more net preparation time. And it's more rewarding to feel that I'm creating something myself. I was brought up on home cooked food and knew the basics of cooking. What tipped the scales for me was when I stopped demonizing "fat, sugar and salt" and allowed myself to add enough to make tasty meals. My home cooking beats any restaurant meal and every readymeal now.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I spend about $300/month on groceries - including a once monthly stock up of meat and essentials at Costco. I don't buy everything at Costco because I am single and if it's fresh I just can't eat it fast enough. I do buy the frozen veggies though and things like egg whites and yogurt because I eat a crap ton of them and it's way better to buy them in bulk than at the grocery store.

I live in South Western Ontario so during certain times of the year we have a HUGE variety of fresh, local foods. There's a farmers market that opens around mid-May in the city I live in and I got there every weekend and purchase my produce only from there. I love it there.

I also agree that as people have said you can do this on a budget but you need to prepare for it. I do my whole meal planning for an entire month ahead of time. I eat a lot of tuna, chicken and other lean meats like ground turkey and I am NEVER hungry or without food. I also, though, eat the same thing for a week - like all my breakfasts are the same, all my lunches, etc because it makes it easier as a single person to do this but you don't have to I think you just have to prepare for what you're going to buy. Make a plan - meal plan if you will - and you should be good to go. I have found purchasing the staples, or things you'll use in multiple meals like rice or frozen veggies helps to cut back on the budget issues. Good luck!
  • acorsaut89
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    I always want to cry when I see Americans share their meat and produce costs. Where I live in Canada the cheapest boneless skinless breast is like 10 dollars for 5 breasts at Walmart. SOMETIMES they go on mega sale for like 7 dollars for 5 breasts but not often.
    Ironically its the produce that costs waaaay more than anything for us. We spend around 800 dollars a month for a family of three (Im also pregnant.) and MOST of that is fresh produce thats on sale.

I agree that the government wants us to be fat honestly. I also think thats why theres SO much misinformation out there as well. And yes I can load up my cart full of junk for way less money but it won't make me feel good so the higher cost of eating well for me is worth it albeit annoying.

Your produce might cost more because you're in Northern Ontario and there's shipping/transportation costs involved. I'm not saying it's fair but when a lot of farms are in South Western Ontario, to get the food to you costs them money and if they sold it for the same as if you came to the farm to buy it then they wouldn't be able to earn a living . . . and then no more farming for them. It's a drastic example, yes, but they also have to earn a living.

Also, something to consider, portion sizes?? So I buy 9 chicken breasts from Costco for about $25 give or take. Those 9 chicken breasts are easily double the size of what you should be eating as a serving, so right there I get 18 pieces of chicken out of it. I get 5 meals out of 1 lb of ground beef/turkey . . . 5! When I've seen couples (as in 2 people) use 2lbs for one meal of spaghetti/pasta. When you are willing to do the work to prepare the food - as someone said the inconvenience of having to prepare the real food can be a huge deterrent - I think you might just find it isn't that bad. Purchasing things like rice and beans that will be used for more than once meal really, really helps. There's also nothing wrong with frozen veggies - they are typically flash frozen at their peak of ripeness/freshness so they will be just as nutritious as the fresh variety and if you're cooking them or steaming them anyways . . . what's the difference? It takes some work and some prep time to figure out how to use all of the food but if you're willing to put in the work I think you'll find it isn't that bad at all.
  • acorsaut89
    Options
    ashjongfit wrote: »
    I always want to cry when I see Americans share their meat and produce costs. Where I live in Canada the cheapest boneless skinless breast is like 10 dollars for 5 breasts at Walmart. SOMETIMES they go on mega sale for like 7 dollars for 5 breasts but not often.
    Ironically its the produce that costs waaaay more than anything for us. We spend around 800 dollars a month for a family of three (Im also pregnant.) and MOST of that is fresh produce thats on sale.

I agree that the government wants us to be fat honestly. I also think thats why theres SO much misinformation out there as well. And yes I can load up my cart full of junk for way less money but it won't make me feel good so the higher cost of eating well for me is worth it albeit annoying.

Don't you think that it might have more to do with the climate in Canada versus warmer areas? Shorter growing seasons means more food has to be shipped in from warmer areas, especially if want 'fresh' (not canned or frozen) produce.

Doesn't Canada have nationalized health care? If so, why would the government want people to be fat? I could see if they were profiting from it somehow but a fatter population will likely just mean higher medical costs.

This poster lives in a remote town in Northern Ontario. Also the amount she posted for chicken at Walmart is less than I pay and I live in South Western Ontario where our cost of living is astronomical compared to rural Ontario.

Yes we do have universal health care, and access to almost unlimited sources of information re: diet and nutrition so if she doesn't take advantage of that then it's completely on her. The only thing our Ontario government doesn't cover anymore is gastric bypass - except EXTREME EXTREME circumstances, I believe - but everything else is available if people want to take the time to research and look for information.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it looks like the frozen tundra outside your door, don't try to eat like you live in the Mediterranean! - that IS going to be expensive. There is a reason Northerners traditionally eat soup in the winter instead of salad (and more than just wanting something hot). Beans & root vegetables (stuff like carrots, beets, turnips, cabbage, potatoes, onions) = cheap up here right now; leafy salad greens not so much. Canned & frozen is typically cheap too (but watch for added salt on canned)(added bonus of not having to chop the canned & frozen produce). Add some crackers and ~50 grams or so of chicken or sausage, and you have a good healthy meal with a good amount of protein and fiber.

Someone else commented on meat portions. Yes, some people overdo it a bit. I normally get ~11 servings off a little rotisserie chicken, and am getting more than enough protein in (though I do also have beans in my soup and rice dishes, and have greek yogurt and a granola w/ protein added or a Clif bar which has a bit of protein in the morning). If allotting an entire chicken breast per person per meal, then you are spending more than you need to (even for a larger male). Also- chicken breasts are a fairly expensive cut of chicken.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    And I absolutely agree with avoiding organic produce. There is no health or environmental benefit to it at all. Its basically there to make money for a luxury food industry.
    Oddly enough, I sometimes find that organic versions of the same produce are cheaper. There are also a few vegetables and fruits I buy organic because I like the taste better (celery, baby carrots, and strawberries). Not sure why they taste better, but they do.

Any chance those things are grown locally?

I'll buy organic blueberries, blackberries and raspberries because they're often cheaper than typical Driscoll's here. They're grown here, so I'm not paying for shipping and more expensive packaging. Plus, being local, they typically are more ripe.

Downside, they also spoil at the drop of a hat so I only buy what I'm going to eat that day.

Exactly this.. The local berries (and the organic ones are likely local) taste much better than Driscoll's. Of course, Driscoll will have probably bred the berries for their ability to last longer and probably to be firmer for transport without damage at the expense of taste. They will also likely be picked before their prime due to long shipping times cross country.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Staceygram wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head: Lentils, frozen broccoli, oats, potatoes, squash, cabbage, black beans, canned tomatoes, rice, carrots, tofu, and apples are all super-affordable (at least where I live).

Do some people spend more when they change their diet? Absolutely -- there is a lot of tempting stuff out there.

But generally if you buy in season, pay attention to sales, avoid trendy foods, and build meals around staples, you can keep your budget under control.

And EGGS! The power of EGGS! So cheap, so fatty and protien-tastic! So versatile!

ETA: It's a worthwhile investment to learn how to cook your own dried rice, beans, and lentils (among other things) from scratch. Super cheap and an easy way to stock up for the week, and they can all be flavored with cheap ingredients like garlic, onion, and bay leaf.

Like the Canadian above, I agree the US pricing often makes me want to cry. I travel through the US a lot and when I see things like a dozen eggs for 74 cents (usually 2.99 and up in my town) or giant chicken breasts at $2/lb when we pay $2.99/lb on sale for much smaller pieces. I lucked out this week when a local butcher had lean ground beef on for $2.99/lb but you had to buy $10 lbs to get that price. The average price right now in grocery stores on sale is $4/lb and up for regular ground beef.

I haven't seen eggs for .79 for decades. Usually where I live they are $3-4. Where I work they can be $2 on rare sales.

Eggs are regularly less than .75/dzn at my local Aldi. Milk is also cheaper there than anywhere else!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Another disgruntled Canadian lol Even on super sale I spend 100-130/week. I'm a pretty smart shopper as in if it's not on sale this week I'll buy it when it is and pick something else but I spend 25$ on a 2kg bag of FROZEN chicken breast at Costco. I buy my pork at No Frills for about 15$ for 6 loins, not sure the weight I can't remember but it's a single meal worth of protein for one person. It's not cheap here even when it's "in season" They charge astronomical amounts for Ontario fruit because it's "local" even when it's in season... wtf It's actually cheaper for me to buy my fruit from other countries.
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Another disgruntled Canadian lol Even on super sale I spend 100-130/week. I'm a pretty smart shopper as in if it's not on sale this week I'll buy it when it is and pick something else but I spend 25$ on a 2kg bag of FROZEN chicken breast at Costco. I buy my pork at No Frills for about 15$ for 6 loins, not sure the weight I can't remember but it's a single meal worth of protein for one person. It's not cheap here even when it's "in season" They charge astronomical amounts for Ontario fruit because it's "local" even when it's in season... wtf It's actually cheaper for me to buy my fruit from other countries.

And pork is our cheap one right now
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    So I am convinced that the country wants us to be fat. You can by a high calorie/salt/sugar item for under $2.00 but trying to find whole, nutritious, food seems to cost a fortune. When I changed my lifestyle , I started spending an extra $100.00 every two weeks on groceries. I think that junk food would be less to try and prevent obesity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/05/eating-healthy-vs-unhealthy_n_4383633.html

From the article-
    "The study authors caution that the $1.50 per day conclusion is based on comparing a very healthy diet — such as one replete with fruits, vegetables and fish — with a diet full of processed foods, meats and grains. The price difference is thus based on a relatively extreme contrast."

They throw around healthy and unhealthy but don't define what they mean by those terms and neither do you. You may define it as only organic foods, grass fed beef, salmon, only fresh produce year round and those are things that can drive up your cost more than someone eating lentils and frozen vegetables.

To me a healthy diet is one that meets my nutritional needs. My cost of food has not changed or has been slightly less. I don't choose to eat some foods because they are poor value calorie wise or money wise.

It doesn't have to increase your costs that much to eat a nutritious diet if you make different choices.
    I clicked down into the data, and it's fake news

The research doesn't compare buying processed or fast food vs healthy food, it compares low end vs high end substitutes that were deemed 'more healthy' by the researchers, bought from the same grocery
    - sugar vs no-cal sweetener
    - milk: whole vs low fat
    - low vs high sat fat chips/biscuits/etc
    - bread: low vs high fiber
    - drumsticks vs chicken breast
    - cheese: low vs high sat fat
    - beef: lean vs high fat
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I only spend about $10 more in groceries a week...so $40/month. And usually only because I'm buying an extra pack of meat.