Hello, everyone! I'M HERE!

Options
Hey, all!

I'm Diana, 24 yrs old from Miami, Florida. I'm currently doing the Power 90 series, and hoping to gradually move up to Power 90 Masters, and finally, P90X!

I'm really confused about diet, what I should eat, etc. Truth is, I don't know how to cook--AT ALL. This is my achilles heel!

Other than that, it'd be great to talk and make new friends! I'm friendly!

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Awesome and welcome!

Cooking will be your greatest tool but don't let it scare you it doesn't have to be complex.

You'll find little things that make for some pretty good food. Cooking a chicken breast on the stove in a covered pan with water and Mrs. Dash until its not pink anymore is pretty easy and tasty. Good luck and check out the recipes section!
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Hi Diana! I'm a 19 year old college student from the Ocala and Tampa area--and I don't know to cook at all either! We can both be in this boat together. It's great to have you with us and it's always nice to have another friend to share this experience with. There's a lot to learn about dieting and exercising, but this is a great community with such a great support system, and I'm sure you'll catch on much sooner than you think!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Cooking is a cinch - does not need to be a complicated recipe. Look at the Recipe section of Message Boards. You can always steam in a microwave - fish, minute rice, veggies all at once with a little lemon - of course and inch of water - for 9 mins (covered). For extra flare, sprinkle some herbs on it! Grilled chicken is easy or Turkey Burgers (on Oroweat Sandwich Thins). You will do fine and you will find it is much tastier too! Welcome aboard!
  • GeishaDi
    GeishaDi Posts: 9
    Options
    Aww, thanks you guys! Hey, Nikki, I was in Tampa this past weekend at Clearwater Beach! Man, it's SO HUMID! My hair doesn't last at all in that weather!

But yeah, I really need to learn how to cook my own meals. I'm kinda stuck eating left overs (my Mom cooks healthy enough as is) but sometimes she won't cook at night cause she's so tired--and I resort to eating a hotdog or something. Which is no-no with the healthy eating I wanna do.

This will be interesting .... and sorta terrifying. How will I live without my white rice?!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The only way to learn is to dive right in! I love to cook and own dozens of cookbooks. For healthy eating some of my favorites are in the South Beach and Weight Watchers cookbooks. SB Quick and Easy and WW Make It In MInutes are good for simple, fresh, healthy meals in very little time. I highly recommend them.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Not to discourage the cooking but...

If you must zap something easy I like the spa lean cuisines. Those are the real foods ones that list like "chicken, carrots, herbs" and nothing I can't pronounce on the label.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks you guys! Hey, Nikki, I was in Tampa this past weekend at Clearwater Beach! Man, it's SO HUMID! My hair doesn't last at all in that weather!

But yeah, I really need to learn how to cook my own meals. I'm kinda stuck eating left overs (my Mom cooks healthy enough as is) but sometimes she won't cook at night cause she's so tired--and I resort to eating a hotdog or something. Which is no-no with the healthy eating I wanna do.

This will be interesting .... and sorta terrifying. How will I live without my white rice?!

Oooh! Brown rice! Follow the directions on the box, but substitute the water for chicken broth. Sooooo good!

Also, Hungry Girl has some of the best recipes ever. They are all reallllyyy simply. She even has things like making scrambled eggs in a mig, IN THE MICROWAVE (lol, sorry, I was completely and utterly excited by that thought).

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you ever have questions or need someone to talk to. :)