Help needed working out number of servings

Options
ellefox70
ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
I have just followed a recipe for Granola which doesn't state how many servings it makes. If I add up all the weights involved and then divide by 40 (which is how many grams is in a serving of my previous packaged Granola) then will I get the correct number of servings? I know I could weigh the whole lot but I've just put it all in the storage jar which took ages, meant I spilt loads and also tempted me to eat some (it was delicious!) Thank u in advance.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Well, you can take the final weight of the product and use the number of grams as number of servings so you can break off however much you want. So if you measure out 100g, you log it as 100 servings.

If taking it out of the storage jar is tedious, do you have another one of that jar you can weigh? Then you can take that jar's weigh out from the total weight of homemade granola + jar.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to do next time is to weigh the whole batch when it's finished and put the number of grams as the number of servings. That way, if you want to eat 34 grams you can put in 34 servings and if you want to eat 42 grams you can put 42 servings.

For this time, I'd suggest that you use 80% of the added-together starting weights of the ingredients for the number of servings to try to account for the water that baked out.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Ok so I calculate it assuming that 1 serving is 1 gram? I'm not sure I do have another jar the same, will check as really good idea. If not might ask my husband to do it when he gets home as 1. he is far less likely to get tempted and 2. has no weight to lose due to lucky metabolism and running marathons! Thank u for your help.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    Ok, thank you both