Calorie Reading: Fitness Tracker vs Machine

Options
I recently got a fitness tracker and decided to test it to examine how many calories do I burn during my regular 60 min spinning class.

I normally get a reading somewhere in between 380-450 during each class and during my last workout with the tracker, the machine displayed 435. I was keen to see how close that number was compared to the reading from my tracker and it calculated calories burnt to be 763.

I understand that tracker uses my age, weight, height, etc to calculate that number while my bike at my local gym does not have that information during calculation. But, those two numbers are not even close and makes me wonder if my tracker is giving me WAY for credit than I deserve or if I have been low-balled by the machine.

I can't decide which displayed number will be closest to the real optimal number (which I don't have means to calculate).

Any suggestions or comments?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How did the bike at the gym come up with that number? Was it guess work, or was it equipped with a power meter?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I understand that tracker uses my age, weight, height, etc to calculate that number while my bike at my local gym does not have that information during calculation.

None of those data are relevant to the calorie estimation in this case.

• sweatin4160
    sweatin4160 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How did the bike at the gym come up with that number? Was it guess work, or was it equipped with a power meter?

It has power meter.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If it has a power meter, it's not more than 5% off from god's honest truth.