Do not know how to pick myself up...

Options
Hi everyone! First post here. Facing a little dilemma here - I recently lost just under 2 stone via the help of a personal trainer and the MFP app. All was going great until a small getaway with some friends, practically eating/drinking whenever and wherever. I attempted to get back on track when I returned home, however work then sent me away to set up a new store providing us with a free English breakfast and 30 pound eating tab during the evening. This is where I went even more wild. I weighed this morning and I've gained 6 pounds which has made me feel really depressed and out of it.
The silly thing is during the midst of today, because I'm feeling quite depressed I gave into binging. I really am finding myself stuck! I have a history with binge eating and I thought this time I'd escaped it, but I think because of these recents events my brain has got used to the high calorie intake and I'm finding it hard to cut back. Work are now sending me away again tomorrow with the exact same food tab and I'm scared I'm going to think 'screw it' like I usually do and go all out stuffing my face.
Can anyone offer any advice to help me get back on track? I just feel like I need to get my addiction to food under control again. Now I've had a taste of endless carbs for the first time in half a year it's very hard to cut back!

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,104 Member
    Options
    6lbs isn't too bad, I know it looks a lot but that can be easily shifted within a few weeks/couple of months

The best thing I've found is logging before I eat
    Because then I'll know if I'm going to go over or not. And it helps me portion myself better!

You can get there and you will! Like you say you've had your fun but you are in control of this!

Even if you set a goal of eating less than you did last time! That's still progress and it's a good way to start
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I've been in that position before. I lost 20lbs and went on a vacation and drank and ate my food in weight. Upon returning back I maintained the same frame of mind and ended up gaining 10lbs. It took me a LONG time to get back to the frame of mind where I had lost the 20 lbs. You just gotta put in the work, unfortunately I don't think it ever really goes away, I'm still struggling but I'm doing a lot better. Are you maintaining your workouts? I think once you start seeing results again it gets easier. I understand the binge eating as I used to be a binge eater as a child. Sometimes it comes back and I end up feeling so sick and wonder why I did it in the first place. Just try and think of your goals and what it'll take to get there. I know it's easier said then done. The main point is you cannot give up, you can fail a hundred times but don't give up.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm in a cycle right now where I'm not home on weekends. 3-4 days every week for the better part of the last month with a couple more before it ends for a little while. All I eat is restaurant or bar food on the road and the healthy choices aren't stellar.

It's difficult. At least in my case I'm home during the week so I can get my food intake back on track as well as working out. On the road I'm barely in the hotel so even if there is a workout facility, I'm not there long enough nor have the energy to workout.

The biggest obstacle to any fitness is oneself. We need to find balance and we need to do what we can. Saying "screw it," feels good but doesn't feel good days later. At some point one will want to feel good later more than one does at present. Cut back on the beer and grab some water. Pass on the grease and at least try and eat healthy once a day. It won't be ideal but the more one can cut into the bad eating the easier it gets.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Well this probably won't really help but as you can see you are not alone with this issue. I too went on vacation, didn't want to be 'the picky one' so I ate and drank outside of my comfort zone and honestly a year later I don't think I've been able to get back where I was. I figure as long as I manage not to need a new wardrobe (I've managed small goals) it will come in time - of course I would be happy with sooner than later but I figure I am treading water and not drowning. Hang in there and try not stress about it and set some small goals to work towards.