exercising while sick

Options
2»

Replies

• sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you can't make the gym, there is always a way to do some type of exercising at home. I understand you were taking care of your sick daughter, but you also could have done something for yourself at home....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    I am really beating myself up this week with the gym. I missed Sunday thru Yesterday because my daughter has been really sick since Saturday which meant no sleep for mommy those nights... Anyways fast forward to today and now I'm at work with a fever, back ache, chest pain, and coughing. should I force myself to go to the gym and just do some light cardio? Or should I take ANOTHER day off from the gym to recover? I haven't lost any weight for over a week now and I don't want to get out of the habit of the gym.

So please help me out with some advise as I cannot make up my mind.

do not go to the gym when you have a fever, as this means you are contagious and will spread what you have.

when you are sick, you need rest.
  • moira1968
    moira1968 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Having a fever has nothing to do with being contagious. It is just the body's way of fighting off the virus or bacterial infection.

As everyone else says- rest, rest and rest
  • ndj1979
    Options
    moira1968 wrote: »
    Having a fever has nothing to do with being contagious. It is just the body's way of fighting off the virus or bacterial infection.

really, so when you have the flu and are running a fever one is not contagious???
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Having a fever is one of the ways that you can tell if you are likely contagious. Thick coloured mucous and skin rashes are the other common ways.

If you must exercise then do it at home.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yo don't do it until you're completely well. I made the mistake of trying to power thru when I thought I was getting better and ended up be really sick for another two weeks. Check you resting heart rate to see how much your body is trying to fight off illness. Mine jumped into the 100's
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Working out when you're sick or truly fatigued (not 'just woke up' fog) is not good for you. It does more harm than good - releasing cortisol, the stress hormone, which perpetuates body fat storage.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to your body. Worst thing you could do is force yourself into the gym and make the situation worse. Instead of being out for a day or two extra you could wind up being out for a couple weeks.

Get the rest plus if you're sick you could hurt yourself in the gym too
  • moira1968
    moira1968 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

really, so when you have the flu and are running a fever one is not contagious???

You're only contagious if you have a infectious disease. Fever has nothing to do with it. Either that or my 25 years experience as a nurse and two bachelor degrees aren't worth *kitten*.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

You're only contagious if you have a infectious disease. Fever has nothing to do with it. Either that or my 25 years experience as a nurse and two bachelor degrees aren't worth *kitten*.

you did not answer the question ..

one can have a fever and be contagious...so not sure what you are arguing about..

• PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In general you can do light excercise, the rule of thumb is if you've symptoms above the neck, like sore throat, runny nose and you've to listent to your body if it is not fatigued and don't have any muscle aches or fever, then you can do some light cardio like 30 min walking or elliptical. But any strenous excercise will affect your inmune system because your body will also need to recover for it, I did it once and I ended more sick the next day.

Having said that if you've something contagious you should never go to the gym, like in your case OP, better rest and try to walk around more.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    No definitely don't go work out! Your body is under enough stress and you need to rest. Plus, you're just going to spread it around the gym and that's not cool.