• rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    BootCampC wrote: »
    e2hizh7hhxan.jpg

only 1 a week

Lol
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Not really. I find that if I allow myself free access to every single thing I will be eating bagels for breakfast, grilled cheese for lunch and pizza for dinner. And feeling completely miserable.

Eating low-carb makes me eat healthier. Carbs/sugar are now special treats for special occasions.
  • KrystlexLee
    KrystlexLee Posts: 9 Member
    Sometimes, yes.

Nowhere near as often as I used to, and in much smaller portions, like the suggested serving size (which I used to triple or quadruple probably.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    On the whole, yes. Just different amounts and/or frequency. There are a few things (Pop-Tarts come to mind, thanks to a recent thread) that I cut back on enough that I really don't eat them - or, at least, very rarely eat - anymore.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Yes I eat what I want every day. I like lots of different foods and I do not actually eat food I don't like.

Typically I eat things like this:
    Breakfast- low prep foods like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. Soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, dark chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

Things I have planned and had for dinner in recent months include:
    chili, tomato, fassolatha, cheese, potato soup, black bean soup, lentil soup, beans & rice, broccoli cheese casserole, tator tot casserole, chicken noodle casserole, breakfast casserole, French toast, breakfast sandwiches, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, chicken gyro, batsaria, Greek potatoes & chicken, falafel, fish & mac & cheese, spaghetti with meatballs, chicken yakisoba, hot dogs, veggie burgers, grilled cheese, chicken, quesadilla, tacos, burritos, salsa chicken rice casserole, fried rice, black bean potato nachos, Mexican manicotti, tandoori chicken, chicken legs, burgers, stuffed bread, French dip sandwiches, pizza, ravioli, stuffed cabbage

I prelog my food and adjust portion sizes to fit my goals. I look at calories first then meeting my protein goal. I try to eat several servings of vegetables or fruits a day. I generally have 100-300 calories for snacks.
    I pair higher calorie foods with more lower calorie vegetables. I reduce calories in foods by using less cheese, less oil, lower fat milk, thinner crust for pizza. I might skip rice or bread if it doesn't fit well that day. I don't try to have doughnuts, stuffed crust pizza, fried chicken, bacon cheeseburger and a peanut butter shake all in one day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Curious how somebody eats what they don't want...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

This is a good point. I always think the question basically means "do you cut out foods entirely?" or else "do you eat foods you don't really enjoy vs. those you do?" (In both cases, my answer is no.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes.

*Nutrition is important!
    ** I eat healthy foods too!

I like how you made sure to tell the whole story...Lol
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Lol I know this thread is probably a dig at those who decide to cut certain things out of their diet, and by "eat what you want" you probably mean junk food, ice-cream, pizza etc (judging by the responses above) - but yes, I absolutely eat what I want. And what I want is meat, green vegetables, avocado, eggs, cream, cheese, bacon, olive oil, pate, oysters and seafood and other such terrific healthy food.

So you are assuming we only eat meat, green vegetables, avocado, eggs, cream, cheese, bacon, olive oil, pate, oysters and seafood and other such terrific healthy food because it's necessary rather than what we want?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2017
    Prelogging my days helps a lot too. There are some days where my protein is too low, calories too high or there's not enough fibre or fat etc etc That's when i begin my tweaking mission until i get the numbers where i want them.

I also do my own versions of things, particularly dessert which i have every night.

Regular cheescake gets subbed for my own homemade protein cheesecake which has better macros and half the calories, and still tastes delicious.

Chocolate pudding/mousse, i sub that for homemade choc/peanut butter sludge.

Regular ice cream, i now get Halotop or a no sugar added icecream, both taste just as good as regular ice cream.

I add a tin of high fibre and protein Black beans in a lot of dishes, they have no taste and go with many things.

Regular pasta- I now buy a high protein/fibre version.

I can't remember the last time we went out to eat or had take away, all my meals are made at home from scratch. I make an effort to have veggies and fruit everyday, which means i can afford the occasional splurge here and there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    I eat what I want...what I want is pretty varied and includes many healthy foods. I don't eat things because I feel some kind of dietary obligation to do so...I enjoy eating well and generally crave healthy foods...I also like having my pizza on Friday nights and having desert a few nights per week and craft beer.

At this moment I'm eating exactly what I want which is a nice salmon filet with lemon, dill, and capers with quinoa and some steamed broccoli and 1/2 an avocado...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I just had two Gardein chicken strips in a flour tortilla with light mayo and relish and a piece of cornbread on the side. Earlier, I snacked on Tam Tam crackers with low-fat veggie pate. (Basically, a lot of green beans, mushroom, and onion sauted in 1 tsp of oil and then pureed with 1/4 cup of walnuts, water, salt, and pepper). Assuming I work out as usual, I'll have some oranges with brandy and marmalade sauce later. (95 calories to the half-cup serving; there are a lot of low-cal desserts you can make that are basically fruit in syrup/sauce, with or without booze.) If I don't, then I'll skip dessert. Having a vegan version of jambalya tonight, using red kidney beans instead of meat.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member

It is very likely the fact that so many people start eating a whole selection of foods they don't really like, that explains why dieting so often fails.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Well I'm diabetic so naturally I have to cut carbs alot, but I'm not saying I dont eat cakes or cookies or chips or fries, etc. Just moderation and if I know I have an event that has food that I need to limit, I will be strict about what I eat the rest of that day. Moderation and not deprivation is the key.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Come on, surely you've been to a potluck where a friend who'd never cooked before brought their mother's 'famous casserole' that turned out to be '*kitten* on a shingle' and eagerly talked up how much they've looked forward to you trying it and giving your opinion, then would not leave you alone so you could discretely toss it and lie about having taken a bite ...

Oh. Just me, huh?

OP, yes. I fit things like cookies into my diet. Pretty frequently, actually. I'm one of those that does better planning on a small cookie every night instead of a plate of cookies every month.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    My goals are to continue to lose weight for a few more pounds, and to eat in a manner that gives me enough protein, carbs and other nutrients to enable me to live the life I want to live. With those parameters in mind, yes - I eat what I want every day.
  • Charlene_1985
    Charlene_1985 Posts: 122 Member
    I eat anything that gets me within -200 to 50+ per day. Candy is fine. Alcohol is fine (not before long run day). Veggies are fine. Can't stomach deep fried food though.