What was your final straw?

Options

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When my doctor put me on Metformin for pre-diabetes. There are no diabetics in my family. It isn't in my genes - it's in my jeans. I ate my way to this, pure and simple.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aderlay wrote: »
    It's amazing how much I can see myself in these responses. I took my 'Before' pics this morning. I didn't cry, but I did get really angry. How the blue hell did I NOT see myself getting bigger again, like what kind of rose-colored blinders was I wearing?!

I appreciate you all sharing.

Hun, I lost 100 lbs. ONE HUNDRED. I gained back 85. :( I SWORE I'd never be this big again. I understand completely.
  • 5_10diaries
    5_10diaries Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My "breaking point" was pretty recently. I had lost a lot of weight due to stressful circumstances a couple years ago. Back then, I could literally eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight, but I wasn't eating a lot. Over the last year I have slowly put on all the weight I had lost and maybe a little more. It feels like within the last two months I have ballooned out and I now have a lil stomach pooch along with unflattering lumps in my thighs. I have been eating poorly for way too long now, and I know I can do this, the right way this time and eat right!!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    just sick of being a fat *kitten*. everything was hard to do, from tying my shoes to wiping my backside
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me was
    * I looked like I was pregnant ouch !
    * I had image issue
    * I had sleep apnea (beginning)
    * I would snore a lot
    * Indigestion
    * Binging
    * Knee problems (beginning)
    * This broke the straw truly! BACK PROBLEMS ! Yeah.
    * This one was starting to reflect-MY SEX BLOOD FLOW
    * BEING TOLD I COULD NOT LOSE THE BELLY WEIGHT.
  • porcelanmermaid
    porcelanmermaid Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Being referred to as the "big girl behind the counter" at work.

Being told the reason I don't ovulate is because of a hormone imbalance caused by being significantly overweight.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Watching all the overweight people walk in and out of my building on a daily basis. Including the three guys who wheeze while walking through the lobby and/or while they're using the toilet. (Seriously, sounds like Darth Vader and his brothers in there sometimes.) I suddenly realized I'd been kidding myself about my weight and didn't want to end up like that.
  • RazzyBerry54
    RazzyBerry54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Between sitting at a computer during my day job, and on computer for school most evenings, I added 60 lbs in the last 2 years getting my AA. Add that to my already overweight bod, I am now 243 lbs (hard to admit). I decided health is more important than degrees at age 54, so won't pursue a bachelors. I recently was Dx'd pre-diabetic, on metformin now, along with BP Med, both of which came with weight. My husband is uninterested in health, or eating healthy, which makes it challenging. My mother has 3 kinds of arthritis, my dad 2 kinds, so don't want weight to complicate if I get it, which is likely. My daughter is getting married in about 7 months, so you know, pictures, grandkids soon after. Bottom line is I need to get healthy! Joined a diabetes prevention group, and I decided to do a 1200 cal diet last week. Doing ok but know there will be ups and downs. Any help, hints, or inspiration is welcome.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I lost my mom to diabetes, took her last breath in my arms...I decided no way would I go out like that, began eating better, then exercising, then kept setting new goals for myself ( which I continue to do to this day) ... here I am today 180 pounds lighter and a marathon runner
  • bonnie7400
    bonnie7400 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went shopping for a new dress and have gone up a size... again...
    An injury has prevented me from my fave exercise (the only one that had ever helped me get fit and focused) and I've procrastinated trying to find something else.
    I need to change my lifestyle.
  • terr91payette14
    terr91payette14 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had my son 2 yrs ago and have told my self over and over it's time. To be completely honest I'm not sure what has me this time. There is a list tho.
    1) my son. I want to be able to move with him, enjoy activities with him, be a part of the picture. Not the one on the side always taking them because I'm embarrassed. Or the one watching him play because I either can't or am too tired to play with him.
    2) I want to feel comfortable around people. Where I work it's a lot of tight spaces. Most people can squeeze by each other if they need to get by. I have to ask people to move or I have to completely move out of the way. I used to be able to move more freely in my workplace. Not anymore
    3) to not hurt all the time. My back, hip,lnees,ankle,feet. Always hurting. I'd love for that to stop lol
    4 ) to live a fruitful life. I want to be able to enjoy my life as long as I can. I want to be healthy and happy. No sickly and tired and sad.
    5) I want to love myself again. Now I know losing weight isn't the key here. But I feel like taking care of myself is. This really is more than just weight but I do feel like getting healthy plays a huge role.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've always felt self conscious about how I looked and my weight played a big part in it after being bullied for years. I put on half a stone at Christmas a few years back and it made me feel so horrible, that's when I decided that enough was enough.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My wife had been on a fitness kick for a while now and I've half arsed it every now and then. The other week my 8 year old asked me what I'm doing to lose weight. So time to get my butt into gear
  • j743y
    j743y Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Despite knowing that sugary, simple carb and all that comes with it is bad for health and weight. I ignore it. Then came a day when i have my favorite shirt on, all i can feel is the shirt is suffocating me. I dont feel comfortable at all wearing that shirt. I knew there and then i had to make some serious changes. That was my last straw.
  • Missy1686
    Missy1686 Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mine was heading out to a friends birthday. More of my wardrobe was on the floor...than on the hangers lol. I'd tried on everything and felt so uncomfortable with how I looked!

On the plus side I probably burnt 200 calories hanging up all my clothes again haha

Feel free to add me :)
  • ellegetsfit89
    ellegetsfit89 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My favorite dresses made me look pregnant, and I can't take stairs without my knees aching. I'm just 27 I shouldn't be tired and achy so much.
  • brittaniarina
    brittaniarina Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My final straw was a variety of factors, some of them are personal but the ones I can share are these:
    ~Sleep apnea
    ~High cholesterol and blood pressure (I'm 27, seriously???)
    ~Not being able to dress up anymore (I used to dress up just to go to the gas station)
    ~No more shopping trips
    ~Waddling
    ~I hurt (my, knees and my back, I can't stand for long, and I need to for my job)
    ~Not being able to wear what I want
    I just can't stand it anymore! I'm in college, I have a job lined up for myself that I can't apply for yet because I can't stand up to do it and let's face it I'd be more likely to land it if I looked better. I can't sell makeup as my side job because no one wants to buy it from someone who can't take care of themselves, and my snoring causes my boyfriend to sleep on the couch sometimes and it scares people! Plus I'm about to be 30! I want to look pretty! I want to live my life to the fullest while I can and I just can't stand looking this way anymore.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Final Straw - Getting on the scale at the doctor and it read 316. I got off and got back on - still 316. If I ever get a tattoo it will have 316 in it somewhere because it's my motivator. I look at it now as my lucky number.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I had been feeling lousy and had had several doctor's visits for various issues that were clearly related to being obese. One day, I was watching tv and a Prilosec commercial came on- you know, the one with Larry the Cable Guy- telling me I should eat whatever I want and just take a pill. It made me mad. I happened to be on those pills at the time and thought, "This is stupid... why don't I just lose some weight and eat a little better?" Haven't had one of those pills since. :) (Thanks, Larry the Cable Guy!)