(Re)-starting exercise: to gym or not to gym?

Options
cprobertson12
cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
edited March 2017 in Motivation and Support
TL;DR - what do people think of gyms (this crossfit gym specifically)? Is going to a gym a good investment? How do I know I won't pay for a month and then not use it!? What if I suck!? Will it help motivate me to run? Will crossfit training improve my endurance?

A little while back I took up running: but was stopped by minor injury for two weeks. At the end of the two weeks I was all hyped up to start again - only to discover that my running-field was now occupied by horses.

Ruddy squatters! Wait... can horses even squat?

I've said repeatedly that I'll start running again - but between the weather being terrible (at least two of the following: rainy/icy/windy) and this injury, I've just not restarted!

I've lost what little motivation I had! YUCK!

Last night (after a bad day at work) I said "f*** it" and ordered a takeaway - and mid-takeaway I suddenly got my motivation back... kinda. I need to do something or else I'll turn into a blob!

I had always dismissed the possibility of going to a gym - simply because it's effort - when I was running, it was part of my routine - I'd walk to work - I'd walk half-way-home - I'd stop for a run - then I'd walk the rest of the way home - it was part of the daily grind - I wasn't getting home and saying "urgh, I can't be bothered going out for a run" because I never had a chance to get home!

Earlier on in the week, due to a car crash, I took a different route home (I walk 2.2 miles each way to and from work each day) and noticed there was a gym en route!

I promptly ignored it.

And then today, one of my work colleagues mentioned they now had a personal trainer - and I thought to myself: "that's what I need! Somebody to shout at me... but more importantly - somebody to tell me what to do!".

I'll be visiting them on the way home tonight to see what's what - and get a rough idea of the prices.

What Im wondering is:
-Will this help motivate me? Well - only time will tell - but has it motivated anybody else?
-Is it a worthwhile investment? Is it workt £45 a month (for three sessions per week)?
-How many people buy memberships and then don't use them?
-I believe this is specifically a crossfit gym (though I may be wrong!) - will crossfit help my general endurance and thus improve my ability to run - or would it be better to just get motivated to run more?

Many thanks! And sorry for the rambling nature of my post ;)

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is personal preference. I have a gym membership but also like to just workout at home some days. There are some days I just don't want to deal with the people and some days it motivates me to be around other people exercising. Only you will know if it's worth the investment. If you can afford it give a gym or a specific class a chance and see how it goes.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like going to the gym but personally, I'm not a fan of cross-fit (I can see the appeal but it's not for me).

My initial reaction is: £115 for 3 months with 3 sessions per week limit is expensive.

Edited to add: My gym of choice is £20 p.c.m. (although i get a discount because I by a yearly pass) and that gives me unlimited visits and access to the free* classes, sauna, and pool.

About 75% of classes are free, some have a fee.
  • cprobertson12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like going to the gym but personally, I'm not a fan of cross-fit (I can see the appeal but it's not for me).

My initial reaction is: £115 for 3 months with 3 sessions per week limit is expensive.

Edited to add: My gym of choice is £20 p.c.m. (although i get a discount because I by a yearly pass) and that gives me unlimited visits and access to the free* classes, sauna, and pool.

About 75% of classes are free, some have a fee.

Aye, it is a bit on the expensive side - works out at £3.19/session with that offer - or £3.75/session if I go monthly - works out at around £~10-11 a week depending which way you go. On the face of it, that doesn't seem too much... that is until you compare it to the other nearby gyms ;)

The other local leisure centre says it has a £34/month membership (everything: pool, ice-rink, gym) - or £24/month (gym only).

What puts me off going there is that its not on my way home, and it's right in the middle of town - right next to all the fast foods and cash machines... everything you need to binge eat ;) It also seems less involved in one's training - you're more or less left to your own devices - sure there are folk round to make sure you're not about to break yourself - but asides from that you're on your own unless you sign up for a class (£5/class)

Theres a third gym in the region which is at £30/month (gym)or £35/month (gym+classes) which is a little further out my way - requiring me to take a detour on the way home, so that might be a better choice (it's also not near an awesome indian that does the best 3000-calorie-calzones ever xD)

To summarise: the options are;
    -Basix: £45/month for 12 sessions
    -Pros: en route for daily commute/small groups per trainer
    -Cons: expensive, crossfit only

-Fitness Factory: £30/month, unlimited sessions, +£5/month for classes
    -Pros: small groups per trainer/cheaper/unlimited sessions (I think?)
    -Cons: out the way/not as cheap as KA Leisure

-KA Leisure: £26/month, unlimited sessions (gym only), +£4 per class: £36 for full access (gym, swimming pools, ice rink etc)
    -Pros: cheapest, unlimited sessions (even with full access!)
    -Cons: out of the way/close to easy source of food, no trainers* so you're on your own; less motivation and guidance!

*as far as I know! I'll confirm this tonight if I get a chance!

I'll drop into them all tonight and see what's what - the question is whether or not the expensive option is worth it in terms of what you get for the money (for instance, if there is a great deal of 1-on-1 training then it might be worth it, at least for a month... wait there's a £25 administration fee on top of that £46 (first time only) - crikey: that's a lot of money for 12 sessions!)

On the other hand, the magnum (the cheapest option) is pretty cheap and you do get a lot for it (ice rink, swimming pool, gym, etc)...

On the other hand, I could just figure out a way to motivate myself and save myself £26/36 a month!

[edit] classes may actually be free at the KA:Leisure-Magnum actually!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    When I had a gym membership I would go for a week, then gradually lose interest. If it's something you will enjoy, go for it, most gyms offer a day/weekend pass or longer free trial, why not see if they do?

Personally I've now quit the gym and do all my workouts at home. Saving a fortune and don't have to motivate myself outside when the weather is rubbish.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Lots of people buy gym memberships and don't use them. Lots of people buy gym memberships and use them a lot. I don't know which you'll be. I recommend that you pick one close to your home or work because it will be more convenient to use. The questions you list are all good ones to ask when you visit the gym.
  • cprobertson12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Lots of people buy gym memberships and don't use them. Lots of people buy gym memberships and use them a lot. I don't know which you'll be. I recommend that you pick one close to your home or work because it will be more convenient to use. The questions you list are all good ones to ask when you visit the gym.
    Fair enough! As I mentioned, going to visit at least two of them tonight - aiming for three of them (we'll see how bored I get of traipsing across town!)

Will let you know my thoughts afterwards :)

These three gyms are all 10 minutes from my house - the difference is that I walk past one of them on the way home, one involves a detour on the way home, and the third involves walking past my house on the way home! In terms of convenience, the most expensive one seems to be the best - because I walk past it anyway. On the other hand, it costs nearly twice as much as the cheapest option =/

When I had a gym membership I would go for a week, then gradually lose interest. If it's something you will enjoy, go for it, most gyms offer a day/weekend pass or longer free trial, why not see if they do?

Personally I've now quit the gym and do all my workouts at home. Saving a fortune and don't have to motivate myself outside when the weather is rubbish.

That's part of the problem - once I get home there's far more interesting things to be doing that exercise - which is why I was hoping to integrate my workout with my daily commute. I'll be aiming to go straight to the gym on my way home from work (that way I won't stop at the house and get stuck there!)

Part of the problem is motivation: I just cant be bothered! I know I'll be fine once I start - but therein lies the problem.

I wonder how much personal trainers cost... that was part of the appeal of the most expensive option - it does seem to be small groups working under a trainer: so if you're not pulling your weight then you get a slap and told to get on it ;)

I'll need to ask the others what sort of training they can offer - or whether they just leave you to it!

Anyhoo - will get back to y'all later tonight (or tomorrow morning) with any discoveries I make.

I'm tempted just to do it myself and save some money - but the problem is getting the motivation to do that! Might be an idea once I've started regular workouts at the gym for a month or two to pursue it myself xD
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    In the nicest possible way, I think that your tendency to succumb to take-aways, and your feelings that external motivation may help you, you would probably be better in the expensive (cross-fit) gym.

One of the questions that I'd be asking them would be along the lines of the trainer's availability to run a session suitable for you at your expected arrival time (base on your commute).

Cheers.
  • cprobertson12
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In the nicest possible way, I think that your tendency to succumb to take-aways, and your feelings that external motivation may help you, you would probably be better in the expensive (cross-fit) gym.

One of the questions that I'd be asking them would be along the lines of the trainer's availability to run a session suitable for you at your expected arrival time (base on your commute).

Cheers.

Haha! No offence taken ;)

See the takeaway dilemma is simply "I'm hungry and tired/can't be bothered cooking - OH LOOK! awesome greasy food :)" - there are ways around it ;)

I dropped in on the way home: the Crossfit gym is, as mentioned, the most expensive - but also the most personal of the gyms (in that it's a small group with a trainer)

The cheapest option is the opposite: far less personal but... pretty much half the price.

I'll discuss this further with the family and see what they think - I think the cheapest option is best - despite the food risks ;)

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whether or not a gym is a good investment is completely subjective and will depend on the individual.

Personally, I'm not into crossfit...so that would be a no go for me...it's just not my thing and I don't like having to be somewhere at some specific time...I have a lot going on, and I get to the gym when I can get to the gym...

I do go to a gym to lift. If I didn't lift I would have very little reason to go to a gym. My gym is open to me 24/7 365 so I can go anytime I please. I have also met some awesome people over the years in the gym and my circle of fitness oriented friends has grown exponentially.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    See if you like the expensive cross fit that is on your way home. If it seems something you could do, opt for that for the first couple of months. It will help you get into a good routine.
    Once you have a routine established it will be easier to move to one of the other gyms that are on your list.

Personally I would opt for the Magnum option. If the fast food may tempt you prep your dinner the night before.

Cheees, h.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Forget about hunting for illusive motivation and work on building up the HABIT of exercising.

For someone who is inconsistent and hesitant about exercise, a CrossFit gym is probably not the best fit--it tends to be very intense and full of people who are already very fit. Why not just try a regular gym with a pool, weights and a few interesting classes? Being prone to injury is another reason to think twice about CrossFit as it is notorious for setting people up to get injured.

A convenient location is good...go there directly after work every day and you are set! Make it a part of your routine instead of waiting on motivation.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any other comments. I'm waiting for the gym here to be built and then thinking of joining. Otherwise we have a gym in our garage (which isn't bad until it's hot as heck outside). I've been using an app called aaptiv lately because I have no clue what to do with gym equipment and I become unmotivated instantly on the treadmill. It's $10/month though, but much cheaper than a personal trainer.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the needing easy access (i.e. Walking past) gym. Anything I need to make a special effort to go to is out. There is a pool on the drive home from me, and a gym down the road. That's my limit

As regards which gym - there are two gyms next door to each other (vaguely connected) near me. One is a regular gym (no pool) with machines, classes and plenty of free weights. That's £20 pcm. I'm a member and at the moment I pop in to use the loo on the way for a run and that's about it.

The other gym is a crossfit gym and it's £60 pcm. I wouldn't have considered paying that until I talked with someone about what you get. You get focussed training, clear education on the fundamental moves, then small classes with tailored progressive sessions. So you get what you pay for. I don't think the extra cost unreasonable and am actually considering joining that gym for a year or so.

BUT. The key thing is the commitment. Spend a month getting into the habit of regular activity - do any of the gyms do pay-as-you-go? I'm not a classes person, being kicked up the backside tends to make me walk away, but it works for others. Maybe try options for a few weeks at a time until you find what works for you?
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I needed the gym when I first started. But now that it's a well established habit I much prefer being at home. However in the winter I will probably return for the treadmill.
  • cprobertson12
    Options
    Forget about hunting for illusive motivation and work on building up the HABIT of exercising.

For someone who is inconsistent and hesitant about exercise, a CrossFit gym is probably not the best fit--it tends to be very intense and full of people who are already very fit. Why not just try a regular gym with a pool, weights and a few interesting classes? Being prone to injury is another reason to think twice about CrossFit as it is notorious for setting people up to get injured.

A convenient location is good...go there directly after work every day and you are set! Make it a part of your routine instead of waiting on motivation.

Lol - sorry - I've been conflating "habit" and "motivation" :P I lump them together because if Im in the habit of doing it then I'll quite happily say I'm motivated - poor choice of words on my part!

When I've been saying "get motivated" I simply mean having the wherewithal to get into the habit: which is why something-on-the-way-home is ideal.

Im actually thinking of giving them all a miss: though the magnum is the clear winner in terms of cost.

I'm a cheapskate - and the Crossfit - while well placed and with good "service" so to speak... is a lot of money, and I think it may be too much for me - I'm not wanting exceptional levels of fitness - though I am going for their free trial on Monday - which will be a make/break situation I think. The problem is that if I want to start that, it's cheaper for the three months to do the £115/3 months deal - as it is inclusive of the £25 joining fee (otherwise it'd be £70 for the first month)

I'm thinking of purchasing a week-ticket on the bus and taking it to the nearest park (there's a pretty awesome* park based around the old Eglinton Castle that's ten minutes away by bus - the problem is that it's a little weather dependant.

*though they've started building houses in parts of it... guess the Earl of Eglinton was a little strapped for cash!

AS you said though - it's all about habit: my consideration towards joining a gym was to try and push me towards a habit (by giving me a financial impetus - if I've paid for it, I'd like to think I'd at least try to use it!)

Luckily I'm not too unfit - the 4.4 mile walk each day certainly helps: it's just that I want to be fitter: if I could just get in the habit of exercising a little more I'd be all set!

I'm visiting the parents tonight though, and I'll drop in at the grandparents on the way there - I'll discuss it with them all and see what they think: with any luck I'll come to a decision next monday with the closing of the free trial!

• cprobertson12
    Options
    I finally visited the crossfit gym for the free trial.

It is hard work - who'd have thought working out would be so much work! ;) - while I'd be happy to continue (though I worry it'd be too much for me!) I don't think the cost, even for only three months, is worth it.

Were it just a little cheaper I might consider it.

Oh well! Can't fault me for trying!

The next step is getting into an exercise habit.

Next week I'll buy a flexi-rider (or whatever the multi-day/multi-ride ticket is called in my region) and take a number of trips to the aforementioned local park for long walks/running: it's much, much cheaper!

Thanks for all the advice folks! Much appreciated =D
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Great that you tried it. You never know somewhere down the road it may just be the thing you need for your fitness goals, and will fit your budget.

Have fun in the park.

Cheers, h.