Eating Fruit? How much is too much? From a hardcore fruit addict

Options

Replies

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If I use a bun, I often just use half of it and eat the burger (or whatever) open-face style. Still gives you the taste of the bread but at half the carbs and calories. Hang in there! You're moving in the right direction! :)
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Do you like Greek yogurt? Maybe switch out one of your fruits for a greek yogurt that has a fruit flavor or add-ins (like the Chobani or Fage flips. There are now some 100-ish calorie versions. There is also the Sargento Balanced Breaks that have nuts, dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, etc). Maybe some minor tweaks would give you a boost of protein but still appeal to your fruit attraction.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You say you love your fruit, which is fine... but that's a lot of carbs. Are there some starches or grains in there that you can swap out for some proteins?

Thanks!

Last night I had a bun with dinner and I could cut that--it boosted calories and carbs. Generally if I don't do that I have rice with dinner, which is again carbs. I feel like giving up my rice is too much to ask, but maybe I'll feel differently as I go on. I have unsweetened oatmeal for breakfast, so while that is carbs, I feel like it's healthy ones. Most of my friends advise protein shakes to get more protein but I find them yucky, plus most have some sugar in them. Nuts seemed like a good idea but yesterday, eating some almonds, I ended up with a bunch of calories and only 8 g of protein.

What I would do is look at your diary -- a few days or week, not just one day -- and see where you are getting protein and where you are getting carbs (and if your protein sources are also high in fat or carbs, which could make it more challenging). Then increase portions of protein-sources, decrease portions of things that are mostly carbs (but you don't need to cut them out -- for example, I would not have 2 sources of starchy carbs in a meal, like rice AND a bun, but I'd have one of them, but at 1300 calories might have to reduce the portion of rice some, that's all). Another thing to look for is if you are not getting protein (or getting very little) at specific meals -- for example, I think that's really common with breakfast and finding a way to get more protein in breakfast can be very helpful. I often have a 2 egg vegetable omelet and then add cottage cheese on the side too, for a boost. When I have oatmeal, I often add some protein powder to it, although I know not everyone likes to use protein power (I don't use a lot, but will use it).

It's not that hard, but just takes some adjusting over time.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Most people should be at around 8/10ths of a gram (in other words 80 grams for each 100 lb. of weight) unless they are bodybuilders trying to add muscle.
    That would be a lot of protein. MFP is putting me at maybe a little over half that. Sigh. I could adjust upwards on the tracker but finding low calorie protein can be tough.

I think a good estimate is .65-.8 g per lb of healthy GOAL weight. For example, I'm 125 (goal is 120, but I'm not really trying), but started MFP at 200. There would have been no reason for me to eat .8x200 or 160 g, but 95 g or so works well for me (I aim for 100 but don't care if I'm a little low).

I agree that if you are struggling to hit 80 just focus on that for now, though.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Drs Hyman, Permutter and nutrionist Brenda Watson say that "table" sugar destroys your healthy gut bacteria, feed cancers, interefere with infection fight. Also I am diabetic so I don't eat it. I do eat fruit whose absorption into your body is minimized by all the fiber containing it. Since you like raw plants consider eating RIPE peppers that are red, orange and yellow colored, tomatoes, and other sweet plants. Reardless, eat a variety of different colored plants becauase they have different nutrients and the most healthy people eat the most diverse by plants diets. Today I am having chick peas (which are carbs but good ones), eggplant, carrot/cabbage mix and kale salad with my beef stew.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Most people should be at around 8/10ths of a gram (in other words 80 grams for each 100 lb. of weight) unless they are bodybuilders trying to add muscle.
    That would be a lot of protein. MFP is putting me at maybe a little over half that. Sigh. I could adjust upwards on the tracker but finding low calorie protein can be tough.

Chicken breast or fat-free cottage cheese are my go-tos for low calorie protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Oh, but yes, I don't have high blood sugar or anything, so maybe it's ok to be a little over on the sugar count?

then you don't need to worry about sugar unless it is crowding out nutrition or making you go over on calories..
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Chicken breast or fat-free cottage cheese are my go-tos for low calorie protein.

Also my favorite sources of protein. I was wondering if anyone else mentioned cottage cheese
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. Need to lose about 50 lbs (maybe more) to be healthy, so I have my work cut out for me.

Generally in any given day I eat an apple with breakfast, a banana as a midmorning snack, and an orange as an afternoon snack. I'm frequently very tired (doctor is going to test for sleep apnea) and I find it hard to get through a workday without my fruit snacks.

The problem is that the calories and especially the sugar adds up. My mother has been counting calories for years and is very strict about it. She advises giving up nearly all fruit because of the calories. I keep thinking "but fruit has healthy stuff in it that I need."

How do you guys address fruit? Even if I cut the calories in meals to accomodate the fruit, MFP is telling me I'm way over my sugar allotment and way under my protein. I've tried subbing in six almonds for the fruit, but that really doesn't satisfy me in the same way.

I have fruit 2-3 times a day but always pair it with a fat and protein. I wouldn't eat a whole apple, but a few ounces with a small amount of cheese and peanut butter. I mix up frozen berries with oats and Greek yogurt for a bed time snack - many people make this at night for breakfast, but I need more protein at breakfast. For breakfast, I have a smoothie with protein powder and 2.5 ounces each banana and strawberry and a bunch of other stuff.

If you change your Diary Settings to Public we can give you tips on how you can increase protein.

Re fatigue:

1. I get sleepy when carbs are too high and protein too low.
    2. Getting some moderate cardio at lunchtime helps me not get the afternoon sleepies.
    3. I also have crippling fatigue when my iron levels drop back into anemic. It's a constant battle to keep them up.

• kshama2001
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You say you love your fruit, which is fine... but that's a lot of carbs. Are there some starches or grains in there that you can swap out for some proteins?

Thanks!

Last night I had a bun with dinner and I could cut that--it boosted calories and carbs. Generally if I don't do that I have rice with dinner, which is again carbs. I feel like giving up my rice is too much to ask, but maybe I'll feel differently as I go on. I have unsweetened oatmeal for breakfast, so while that is carbs, I feel like it's healthy ones. Most of my friends advise protein shakes to get more protein but I find them yucky, plus most have some sugar in them. Nuts seemed like a good idea but yesterday, eating some almonds, I ended up with a bunch of calories and only 8 g of protein.

How much rice? I've cut back to 75 g of cooked rice, which is about a half cup. I increased protein and veggies.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I know berries are better--less sugar, more nutrients, but darn they're expensive (and often not great quality at our stores here). I tried planting a blackberry bush in hopes of growing my own fruit, but the birds stole them all. Apples, oranges, and bananas are cheap and plentiful, so that's how I got stuck on this track. Yeah, I need to find some high protein snacks that satisfy (I think the fruit fiber is what makes me feel full), but the almonds didn't do it.

Despite being a bit of a food snob, this time of year I am perfectly content with frozen berries. I've shopped around and learned which store sells them for the least. Strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are a staple in my freezer. Frozen strawberries are only $2 a pound at Market Basket. (That's a New England chain.)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

How much rice? I've cut back to 75 g of cooked rice, which is about a half cup. I increased protein and veggies.

I limit myself to half a cup of cooked rice.

I'm so embarrassed to make my food diary public--I guess you get used to stuff, huh? I only started Monday so not much there yet.... I'll look at it.

• nevadavis1
    Options
    Ok, made it public... So full disclosure, I'm vegan, been vegan for 20 years so it's not a diet thing, it's my lifestyle (and yeah, I managed to gain weight while vegan too, but I've lived most of my life this way), so I'm not going to add chicken or cheese... and that is probably why it's hard for me to find low carb protein.

The other thing I did is put in my own recipes-- So my lunch salad is mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (if I have them), chickpeas, and dressing, but just shows up on the food diary as lunch salad. Same with my go-to dinner which is the beans and rice and greens--salad greens, avocado, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup black beans, and fat-free salsa, which I probably eat a few times a week, most weeks.
  • nevadavis1
    Options
    2. Getting some moderate cardio at lunchtime helps me not get the afternoon sleepies.

I do get out at lunch time and walk most days, some days I don't have time. I figure it's 1.6 miles when I do a lap around the office complex. I walk moderately fast but I'll still get kind of sweaty, so I can't jog it.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Ok, made it public... So full disclosure, I'm vegan, been vegan for 20 years so it's not a diet thing, it's my lifestyle (and yeah, I managed to gain weight while vegan too, but I've lived most of my life this way), so I'm not going to add chicken or cheese... and that is probably why it's hard for me to find low carb protein.

I was wondering if you might be. I have eaten 100% plant-based from time to time and found protein somewhat challenging. There are some experienced vegan posters here (@janejellyroll is one) who seem to have it down and get balanced macros -- you might also want to check out some of the vegan threads or groups, or maybe she will pop in here. I'll try to look at the diary too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have around 750g of rockmelon (cantaloupe) and watermelon every single day in summer as an afternoon snack, this hasn't affected me negatively in any way.

As for protein, i try not to go under 120g.
  • kshama2001
    Options

The other thing I did is put in my own recipes-- So my lunch salad is mixed greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers (if I have them), chickpeas, and dressing, but just shows up on the food diary as lunch salad. Same with my go-to dinner which is the beans and rice and greens--salad greens, avocado, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup black beans, and fat-free salsa, which I probably eat a few times a week, most weeks.

I have the greatest respect for ethical vegans and was friends with many of these when I lived at a yoga retreat center.

You said 'low calorie protein' earlier and above say 'low carb protein' so I am wondering which you meant. My vegan friends ate a lot more carbs and less protein than I do and were healthy and fit. (They also did a lot of yoga and had active lifestyles.) They made legumes the backbone of their diets. They also ate a lot of nuts, but more for healthy fats than for protein. Nut calories add up quickly!

Do you eat tempeh and seitan?
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I average around 80-100g protein a day and am vegan. Feel free to add me if you want to stalk my food diary! I eat pretty weird foods but my macros are decent. Lots of us vegans here, actually :)

I eat a ton of seitan that I make myself with nutritional yeast added. Lately I've also been adding in some high-protein tofu. Not sure what your policy is on soy, but even if you're trying to cut down on it you could definitely still get more protein with some changes.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    As much as you want as long as you stay within your calorie goal. Without fruit I would never lose weight. I can quit the candy and baked goods when I really need to but if I don't have fruit to replace it, game over.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest shocks with fruit is learning what is small/med/large. A medium orange or apple weighs much less than we've gotten used to when we shop for fruit. I had to go though a learning curve - found that most of the apples that I'd been eating, for example were the equivalent of 2 servings - not 1.