Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Don't forget spices, you are going to want salt and pepper if nothing else. Also oil, margarine or butter to fry your eggs, salad dressing or vinegar for dressing. Ketchup? Mustard? Mayo? All those little "extras" add bucks to a grocery trip
    Do you mean for the OP, or for people on assistance? The OP, if that's who you meant, probably can't afford those, given the restriction on "bulk" purchases.

I think the original post said nothing could be used that you already had, in other words all the food and any ingredients used would have to be purchased with the $13. So cooking the eggs, unless you boil them, is going to require some sort of oil or butter. A salad would be dry unless she purchased a dressing or some oil and vinegar. Etc.

If they have a non-stick pan, they can do more than just boil the eggs. I know that my pan works with eggs by themselves. Granted, it is newer. An older one might not be so kind.

You can also bake whole eggs.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Don't forget spices, you are going to want salt and pepper if nothing else. Also oil, margarine or butter to fry your eggs, salad dressing or vinegar for dressing. Ketchup? Mustard? Mayo? All those little "extras" add bucks to a grocery trip
    Do you mean for the OP, or for people on assistance? The OP, if that's who you meant, probably can't afford those, given the restriction on "bulk" purchases.

I think the original post said nothing could be used that you already had, in other words all the food and any ingredients used would have to be purchased with the $13. So cooking the eggs, unless you boil them, is going to require some sort of oil or butter. A salad would be dry unless she purchased a dressing or some oil and vinegar. Etc.

If they have a non-stick pan, they can do more than just boil the eggs. I know that my pan works with eggs by themselves. Granted, it is newer. An older one might not be so kind.

Muffin pans to the rescue!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

Muffin pans to the rescue!

Indeed!

Just don't try and microwave them.

not that I ever tried that....

4si7ck8khwkp.jpg

WOW! LOL. Umm... yeah in the shell is bad. *snicker*

That being said, I actually have successfully microwaved scrambled eggs in a ramekin. That can be done... Hehe.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I can see trying different kinds of food inequality, but all at once? That seems like a bit much to me.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

And poach them in a frying pan of water. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm a college student and I am currently in a class that addresses all different types of inequality. For an upcoming project, I have $13.30 (around $4.43 per day) to use to eat for three days (mirrors average assistance in my area).

I cannot use any food I already have, I cannot eat any free food (from friends, promotions, etc.), and I cannot buy from any restaurants. Unfortunately, I am also not allowed to buy in bulk (even though it would equal out to the correct cost for day).

For this time period, I will not be too worried about my calorie count or my particular fitness/health goals. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or sample meal plans for me?

Thank you in advance!

Go to a grocery store and figure it out.

I've been in that situation for real, not just hypothetically, and not just for 3 days ... and that's what I did. For about a year, I had roughly $30/week to spend on food, so I went to the local grocery stores and figured out what I could buy.

Interestingly, I did the same thing again when I started with MFP. I went to the local grocery stores and markets and figured out what foods that would fit within my calorie limit were available. In this way, I actually discovered all sorts of interesting food and expanded my diet.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Ohio and Massachusetts don't charges sales tax on groceries either, since they are a basic necessity of life.

I don't know if all Canadian provinces are the same, but Alberta charges tax on prepared foods as far as I know. So if you bought the ingredients to make a pie (flour, butter, apples, etc.), they would be tax free. But if you bought a ready-made pie, you'd pay tax on it.

We also have to pay extra fees on most drinks, a little of which you get back at the bottle depot. So my 4 litres of milk is priced at, say, $4.59 on the shelf, but it'll actually cost me closer to $5 once the extra charges are added at the checkout. (And I'll get 5 or 10 cents back on the empty jug.)
  • Machka9
    Options
    BTW - where is the OP. S/he posted on the first page or so but not since then.

Maybe s/he actually went to a grocery store????
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Another thing to remember when you say to shop around. Often your transportation isn't dependable and you have to go wherever you can get.
    That's true. You may be able to shop the stores that are near you, or if you can travel to a store you can check printed or online ads.

If you have the time and access to those ads. When I was making the least money I was working full time as a temp, part time in retail, and going to grad school two nights a week.

Some low income people are working multiple part time jobs and using their spare time to take care of family and/or look for a full time job.

Shopping sales is something we say, but not always possible. Science is also finding that the way some people's brains process things can change when there is scarcity, such as poverty.
    You're talking about people who are actually on assistance, not the OP - correct?

Yes. The OP has benefits that someone actually in that budget situation would not have.
    That's probably true. And likewise, someone on assistance might have some has advantages the OP wouldn't have, like the ability to buy staples in quantity. Maybe also a network of local people to help them. It's a somewhat artificial situation.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    $13 for 3 days for me is completely doable, and I'm in Australia (everything is a lot more expensive here, dollar for dollar).

Hell, when I was in Uni, a 500g bag of pasta ($1), a tin of tuna ($1.50), a can of cream of mushroom soup ($2) and a cup of milk ($1) made a casserole which would feed me and the cat for 5 days. And often did.
  • tinat51796
    tinat51796 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice for sure! Eggs
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    BTW - where is the OP. S/he posted on the first page or so but not since then.

Maybe s/he actually went to a grocery store????

I was thinking maybe she/he talked to their professor (they said they would check with the professor in a follow up post) and was told this method of research wasn't permissible, so didn't come back to read the rest. But that's just a guess on my part. :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I have to say the professors lesson has acheived not just the op thinking about this but a much wider audience of people being mindful. That's quite the unintended upside.

Indeed.

After doing this exercise (took me 3 hours from making the first list of possible foods to the final list, calculating the budget, - and no food has actually been shopped even though I was in one of the stores!) it made me appreciate the fact that my food budget is no where that tight. I can easily afford to go into a store and just buy what strikes my fancy (within reason!)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I have to say the professors lesson has acheived not just the op thinking about this but a much wider audience of people being mindful. That's quite the unintended upside.

Indeed.

After doing this exercise (took me 3 hours from making the first list of possible foods to the final list, calculating the budget, - and no food has actually been shopped even though I was in one of the stores!) it made me appreciate the fact that my food budget is no where that tight. I can easily afford to go into a store and just buy what strikes my fancy (within reason!)

Wow you spent 3 hours on this?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Ya know, people living on assistance ask each other help and suggestions on how to make ends meet. We're not doing this student's work--just giving suggestions on where to start. What the food prices are in her area, what sales there are, etc. are all up to her to figure out.
  • Machka9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I could tell you how I did it during my year of extremely limited funds ($30/week for groceries) from memory in about 5 minutes.

It's etched into my brain and is partially why I didn't eat much in the way of bread for about 25 years.