3 square meals or snacks throughout?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat a small breakfast, medium lunch, larger dinner and 1-2 small snacks in the afternoon/evening. I am usually eating between 8 AM and 9 PM. I function best eating something every 3-5 hours. These are normal meal times for many people so it is easy to match my schedule with others. I could probably get used to eating once a day or smaller amounts more often but I don't want to.

You should do what helps you function and suits your lifestyle best. Timing is not important unless you have some issue with reflux or something. Eat when you are usually hungry. Eat 6 times a day or 1 time a day.

If you need dietary advice consult a registered dietician.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Drueru wrote: »
    I've always eaten 'mini' meals, having snacks throughout the day. There are set times where I forbid myself from eating just to give my digestive system a break.
    My naturopath suggested that because eating anything solid at all (even veggies) spikes insulin levels, I may want to try having 3 square meals a day with my last meal being at 7pm. This to me is a foreign concept. The only thing I have done differently before is the Warrior Diet. For anyone unfamiliar with the warrior diet, you don't eat until late evening, and then you eat all of your food! Now, I did feel amazing on this diet but was also doing kickboxing, mma, jiu jitsu and karate 6 days of the week, so was very active.

Question: What do you guys do? Do you prefer snacks throughout the day or are any of you used to eating only breakfast, lunch and dinner?

First, I would stop seeing a naturopath and start seeing a Registered Dietician who actually has training in nutrition.

Second, Eat the way that satisfies you the best. Meal timing/number/quantity has no effect on weight loss. The only difference is comfort. For example, some like to eat before a workout, others are uncomfortable with food in their stomach while working out. Eating before bedtime helps some sleep better but others have trouble sleeping on a full stomach. It really is individual.

ETA: I eat 5-6 meals per day. Lunch and dinner are my largest meals and the others are closer to snacks. I sometimes skip breakfast and just have coffee.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Whatever works best for you.

I'm still curious why everyone is so concerned about "spiked" insulin levels, especially when they aren't diabetic.

Especially because you WANT your insulin to rise and go down as your blood glucose rises and goes down. insulin is what removes glucose from the bloodstream
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I eat a brunch like meal between 10-11 AM, mid-day snack around 2:30 PM, dinner around 5:30 PM and dessert around 7:30 PM. That is typical, but some days it looks nothing like that depending on where life takes me.

I try to not give myself to many "rules" or restrictions. I basically eat when I am hungry and it naturally falls into the schedule above. Losing weight is hard enough without setting arbitrary or unnecessary rules on myself.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch and dinner. I don't start getting hungry till around noon so it works great for me. And gives me those extra calories to use at lunch and dinner to have a good-sized meal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm still curious why everyone is so concerned about "spiked" insulin levels, especially when they aren't diabetic.

I personally like how spiking insulin helps build muscle!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    Breakfast, AM snack, Lunch, Mid Day Snack, Supper, PM Snack

Each one is roughly 500 cals

Most of the time the PM Snack is not needed, but sometimes it saves the day.

This is about what I do and it has worked well for me for several years. Everything is pretty nutritious - not sure if it would work as well if it weren't. If I'm going to have a less-nutritious extra, it will usually be at night.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I personally like how spiking insulin helps build muscle!

Word ;)
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Especially because you WANT your insulin to rise and go down as your blood glucose rises and goes down. insulin is what removes glucose from the bloodstream

Isn't the concern that we want insulin to rise and fall fairly slowly and steadily? As opposed to, say, the kind of insulin reaction you might get if you drank a big Coke or ate a bunch of glucose tabs?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten 'mini' meals, having snacks throughout the day. There are set times where I forbid myself from eating just to give my digestive system a break.
    My naturopath suggested that because eating anything solid at all (even veggies) spikes insulin levels, I may want to try having 3 square meals a day with my last meal being at 7pm. This to me is a foreign concept. The only thing I have done differently before is the Warrior Diet. For anyone unfamiliar with the warrior diet, you don't eat until late evening, and then you eat all of your food! Now, I did feel amazing on this diet but was also doing kickboxing, mma, jiu jitsu and karate 6 days of the week, so was very active.

Question: What do you guys do? Do you prefer snacks throughout the day or are any of you used to eating only breakfast, lunch and dinner?

why on earth would it matter if you eat at 7pm or 7:30pm?????

meal timing does not matter and insulin spikes are not as bad for you as everyone portrays them to be...

ditch the naturopath ...
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat

breakfast
    second breakfast
    mid-morning snack
    lunch
    afternoon snack
    pre-workout snack
    dinner

This works for me.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I like 3 big meals and snacks in between, lol. Realistically, it works best for me to have a snack in the morning, a small meal at noon, a snack in the afternoon, and a larger meal at supper time. Or to have a small meal in the morning, a larger meal at lunch, and a snack at supper time. Depends if I'm eating at my moms or at home. Some days I eat most of my calories at work, and don't eat supper, other days I don't eat much at work and snack non stop once I get home.
  • earlnabby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Isn't the concern that we want insulin to rise and fall fairly slowly and steadily? As opposed to, say, the kind of insulin reaction you might get if you drank a big Coke or ate a bunch of glucose tabs?

Neither is a concern. The only problem is if a person does not produce enough insulin to deal with the glucose in the bloodstream
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I try to eat light during the day and then eat most of my calories at night.

I'll usually eat some turkey jerky in the early afternoon, lunch (which is usually some shredded chicken or a tuna pouch) in the very late afternoon and then all the rest of my food in the couple hours leading up to going to bed.

Edited for vagueness.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Only if you're diabetic.

• earlnabby
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

Only if you're diabetic.

Even then, unless you are on insulin, the carb total for the day is the important number so a big soda isn't an issue as long as the rest of the day balances it out. Those who need insulin DO need to avoid major spikes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,067 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "My naturopath suggested that because eating anything solid at all (even veggies) spikes insulin levels,"

Well of course it does - so does having anything liquid (other than water) - see example of coke in post above.

Some things - like coke, cream-cakes etc will cause more of insulin spike than others. obviously why diabetics avoid such things.
    But they dont avoid veggies.

But all food causes an insulin response - that is how it is meant to work.

Not getting naturopath's point at all here about why this is something to be avoided - and why she thinks solid foods would it more than liquid ones anyway.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nobody wants to see how obnoxious I am if i skip breakfast. I eat breakfast and then usually lunch and dinner but sometimes heavy snacks or just skip one depending on how day goes.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

i'm more of a snacker, i guess. i take fairly finite 'meals' with me to work, but in practice it usually takes me most of the day to get through it all.

with me it's just preference though. i don't have nearly enough interest or determination to change my eating patterns just for the sake of some theory.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "My naturopath suggested that because eating anything solid at all (even veggies) spikes insulin levels,"

Well of course it does - so does having anything liquid (other than water) - see example of coke in post above.

Some things - like coke, cream-cakes etc will cause more of insulin spike than others. obviously why diabetics avoid such things.
    But they dont avoid veggies.

But all food causes an insulin response - that is how it is meant to work.

Not getting naturopath's point at all here about why this is something to be avoided - and why she thinks solid foods would it more than liquid ones anyway.

Yeah, this.