Weights for Weightloss?

Options
I'm 163lbs. My goal is be at 130lbs. I have been doing mostly cardio. Someone told me I should focus on cardio and once I lose the weight I want, then I do Weights to tone up. Should I focus on just cardio?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No - start weights now, it'll help you retain the muscle you do have whilst you're in a deficit...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like to get a mix of weights, cardio, and flexibility work - I would say my primary goal is to be able to DO STUFF at whatever I weigh.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Do a search for @fanncy0626 and read about her regimen and results. ^_^
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You should focus on a sustainable and appropriate calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Cardio for health, fitness and getting a higher calorie allowance while still maintaining the deficit above.
    Strength training for health, preserving muscle mass, looking the best you can when our get to goal weight.

Why would you not want to be the best you can be when you get to goal would be my question to you.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Resistance training will help you preserve the lean mass you have so that when you cut the fat, you will have that "toned" look...without resistance training you will lose more muscle mass in the weight loss process than you otherwise would...it's a hell of a lot easier to preserve the lean mass that you have than it is to build mass later.

Also, your diet is going to have a far greater impact on weight loss than your exercise...start looking at exercise from a fitness perspective rather than a weight loss perspective...from a fitness perspective and as a matter of general health and wellness, both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training are very important.
  • sotoale3655
    sotoale3655 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Very helpful information!