What not to microwave at work?

Options
2»

Replies

• EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will bring fish fillets to work and reheat in the microwave. I did ask around with my co-workers after the first time bringing fish just to be courteous, and no one was bothered. I also usually ask before popping popcorn. Sometimes frozen meals might smell funny, but it usually fades quickly. I work in a small office, so it's easy to check in with my co-workers about something like this. We've all made friendly accusations against each other of reheating something stinky, so it's not a big deal in my office. The times when I am most cautious is when my co-workers have guests in for meetings in our conference room or when the big boss will be in the office near lunch time. I don't want to disturb guests or the big boss! lol
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I microwave whatever I want, including plenty of fish and broccoli. Often at the same time. It's a lunch room, it's going to smell like food. If the microwaves were in the work area where people were forced to be around I might be more considerate.

The only exception is popcorn. Big "NO POPCORN" signs on all the microwaves because the fire alarms have been set off too many times by people who don't have a 3 minute attention span. Never once have I craved popcorn at work. Now I want some every time I see one of those flipping signs.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Clawsal wrote: »
    So what kinds of food should I avoid microwaving around coworkers who might hate me if I stink up the place? Or for other reasons?

Please share!

SEAFOOD!!!!! Good GOD why do people do this????
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A guy in my office would bring in smoked catfish, put it in the fridge at the beginning of the week, and warm it up for breakfast in the morning. Made the refrigerator and the office smell like rotten fish. It is the worst.
    I'd add broccoli to that list, too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    IDK I used to care. Now I come in to work at 3pm most days with my uneaten salmon lunch and yell "puttin' fish in the microwave!" and do my thing. Nobody's complained yet.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I microwave eggs with raw broccoli and other vegies, and lots of curry type spices at work.... And everyone wants my lunch. It can't be that bad!

I wouldn't do fish...
  • cicalejo64
    cicalejo64 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    NOOOO FISH! My office was close to the employee kitchen and I shared a vent with it. Fish always caused the largest complaints. The odor permeates and it also stays in the microwave.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I work in a hair salon so every smell from the micro permeates the whole shop! No seafood bleh
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    As far as i'm concerned, I'll microwave whatever I like. What smells bad to me might smell good to someone else and vice versa. The smell goes away quickly anyway.

I'm also not keen to comment on what people are eating as I don't know why they are eating that. Perhaps the cheap fish fillets were all they could afford to bring this week. Perhaps they are struggling with allergies, or are making changes for their health. Some people cook a lot of their cultural foods and that is just what their leftovers are. Not my place to judge.

Leave the microwave messy, however, and that's a different story.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Food smells.
    Maybe you should ask your coworkers what smells bother them.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid things with vinegary sauces too.