Sardines?

Options
I just started eating sardines and I actually like them very much. I eat 4 cans a week. Now i know that fish has mercury and read not to eat more then 2 cans of tuna a week but the smaller the fish that theres less chance for mercury.

Am i ok eating the 4 cans or should i eat a bit less.

Thanks

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I love sardines and all the benefits that come with eating them. I would be more wary of eating tuna, than sardines.

I love my sardines in olive oil, skinless (courtesy of Costco).
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    You are good. Munch away.
  • rsipock
    rsipock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    can't go wrong with skinless sardines. I love old fashioned sardines as well. But people who don't like fish have even liked the skinless sardines once I turned them on to them.

As for sardines as a food choice. I like to ask myself "if I wasn't eating this, what would I be eating?" Often times, the alternatives are worse than the original choice. So just ask yourself that question and if sardines are the best thing for you and your goals at that moment, go for it.
  • slider728
    slider728 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    There is an online calculator that kind of gives you an idea of how much of certain fish you can eat given your weight, sex, and age. Sardines are better choice than tuna:

http://www.ewg.org/research/ewg-s-consumer-guide-seafood/seafood-calculator
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sardines are awesome...
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Soooo how do you all eat your sardines? just straight from the can? or with rice? crackers? do you warm them, cook them?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, too. I eat a lot of salmon and tuna packets. Would love to have another thing to rotate in that is low calorie protein.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Soooo how do you all eat your sardines? just straight from the can? or with rice? crackers? do you warm them, cook them?

Pour the olive oil (from the sardines) in the wok, stir in 65/100 grams of slice red onions, sweet peppers, garlic cook for 2-4 minute, not too soft, stir in sardines a little hot sauce and some lemon juice - fantastic.

Can be eaten with rice, crackers, toast etc.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Pour the olive oil (from the sardines) in the wok, stir in 65/100 grams of slice red onions, sweet peppers, garlic cook for 2-4 minute, not too soft, stir in sardines a little hot sauce and some lemon juice - fantastic.

Sooo, question. I buy anchovies in a jar to mix into things like homemade Caesar style dressing and the bases of sauces. I recently tried to eat one straight out of the jar and cringed. Partially at the flavor, partly because the texture felt kinda furry? Like cat's tongue-y? Either way, I wasn't that into it. However, I really love the vast majority of fish. What are the chances I'd like sardines based on this info and do you have a brand recommendation?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The fish and mercury thing is based on the the fish's position in the food chain. Tuna are a top predator, consuming many other fish. Sardines are low on the food chain. Tuna concentrate the mercury from many small fish, which sardines are just one small fish. That's why you're good to eat a lot of sardines, Charlie.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just started eating sardines and I actually like them very much. I eat 4 cans a week. Now i know that fish has mercury and read not to eat more then 2 cans of tuna a week but the smaller the fish that theres less chance for mercury.

Am i ok eating the 4 cans or should i eat a bit less.

Thanks
    I've picked up some too, but I haven't opened them..... but as others have said, they are a low Mercury fish.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    socajam wrote: »

Sooo, question. I buy anchovies in a jar to mix into things like homemade Caesar style dressing and the bases of sauces. I recently tried to eat one straight out of the jar and cringed. Partially at the flavor, partly because the texture felt kinda furry? Like cat's tongue-y? Either way, I wasn't that into it. However, I really love the vast majority of fish. What are the chances I'd like sardines based on this info and do you have a brand recommendation?
    A friend who likes anchovies, dislikes sardines, so I don't think they are similar.

I like anchovies, but my family used them a lot when I was a kid.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I've picked up some too, but I haven't opened them..... but as others have said, they are a low Mercury fish.

I've picked up some, too, and still unopened months later. I've never eaten sardines before. I've had them offered to me... but the smell! However, I'm hoping I can acquire a taste for them. To test the waters I chose sardines in marinara sauce. Still working up the nerve to try them out. They're scale-free, not skinless, though. Are the skins bad?

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I usually go for the ones in tomato sauce (I'm in the UK), they have the skin and bones but due to the cooking the bones are soft and edible. I just whack them on some toast.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and my cats love them as a treat too!
  • cmtigger
    Options
    Oh and my cats love them as a treat too!

I figure if they aren't good the cats and chickens can have them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sardines and kippered herring rock. I love plopping them on a simple salad, and using the oil to "dress" the salad. Try for sustainable brands.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My favorite. I love the king Oscar with jalapeños!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, too. I eat a lot of salmon and tuna packets. Would love to have another thing to rotate in that is low calorie protein.

Sardines aren't really a low calorie protein source, as they are quite oily, even if you get them in water. Consequently, they are a great source of w-3 PUFAs.