Leg cramps and exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    yeah i'v heard of magnesium helping....

THIS!!!!! I take 250-750mgs of magnesium a day. Also, reduce your calcium intake as calcium and magnessium fight for absorption (and calcium generally wins LOL). Also get new shoes. I used to get horrible shin splints from running. Bought new shoes and haven't had it since!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Water, potassium, magnesium, and calcium can all affect it and potentially more... Some muscle care (foam rolling) might help prevent the onset of cramps over time too.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Potassium gluconate suppliment once daily. I take mine before bed.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Electrolytes can be found in gatorade, it's a mix of sodium, potassium and other minerals that are essential. there are also many other types of electrolyte supplements that you can take if you don't like gatorade. If you're doing workouts like Zumba and you're finding that the cramping is worse afterward it probably wouldn't hurt to add a supplement to your water while you do your workout. Pay attention to some things the next time you complete a workout: how much you sweat, if you're a salty sweater (white salt marks will be on your clothes after it dries), how hot it is outside and in the room you're working out in, and how much water you've drank that day.
    One thing that I would suggest is to go to your doctor for a physical, have them take blood and check your levels, you may find that you're deficient in something like calcium, this could be the root of why your cramping since it's so often and water consumption seems to be adequate. I say go to the doctor since then they will be able to tell you if you need supplements, what kind and how much to take, and the guess work will be limited. Plus, it doesn't hurt to know your cholesterol levels and fasting glucose etc.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My foots been stuck like a claw since this mornings run...ouch. Not ideal when I have to manipulate it into stilettos. Ill try some of these suggestions too :laugh:

Since it's been so hot out (at least where I am) that's not a good sign, electrolyte supplements would probably help you out a lot
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try a bit of pickle juice when the cramping hits; used by athletes, many who swear it works. You don't need a lot (and your stomach couldn't tolerate a lot anyhow) - anywhere from a few sips to maybe 3oz. Just the "juice" from a jar of pickles - I have used the liquid from Vlasic kosher dills and it seems to help. Something about the vinegar plus salt seems to be helpful in relaxing the cramp
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Potassium, magnesium, calcium. If your stomach can't handle magnesium supplements, take a thirty minute Epsom salt soak ( whole tub or just you feet). Magnesium is well absorbed transdermally.

Check with MD as well. Could be a symptom of something else.
  • folktor1
    folktor1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Taking potassium helps me a great deal with leg cramps.
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't forget calcium low calcium can effect your muscles as mush as mag and potassium
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past, and like others, have found drinking a lot of water helps. Also, for me, taking easy walks seem to help, I usually get the cramps while I am trying to sleep, and they don't happen as much on the days I get a walk in. I have found that caffeine seems to make them worse, once I went an entire month without coffee, and didn't get them at all. Sometimes I get the leg cramps, and then realize I just drank something with caffeine just a while before. Good luck!