Cheat Days: Something to consider

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
I'm not the biggest fan of the concept, but I'm not really against the idea either. If it helps you be successful, so be it.

So this is not a criticism, just something to be aware of:
dk8okxdzcb3i.jpg

Replies

• Azdak
    Options
    Obviously, there are LOTS of ways this can be adjusted to make the numbers work better. It just points out that "cheat days" can't be "anything goes" days, or else they are likely to keep you in balance.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I splurge once a week, on average, and I haven't had any problems. If you get stuck on a weight plateau, or are gaining weight, then that would be an obvious place to look for changes.

I also think that splurge means radically different things for different people in terms of how many calories "over" you go.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that it's meant to an example and not cover every variable.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    When I'm actively losing weight, I do not take "splurge weekends" where I eat more calories than I burn. It's pointless to do that.

Instead, I exercise more on the weekend so that I can eat more and stay within my calorie limit. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Point well made.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Never been a 'cheat' day person, but I do like how the graphic hits home.
    It is so easy to think one day won't make that much of a difference, especially if unlogged.
    Some times ignorance isn't bliss; it's a no loss or gain week.

Cheers, h.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    What's that white thing on the plate? A chicken breast?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I splurge once a week, on average, and I haven't had any problems. If you get stuck on a weight plateau, or are gaining weight, then that would be an obvious place to look for changes.

I also think that splurge means radically different things for different people in terms of how many calories "over" you go.
    If one "cheats" there is no plateau. A plateau consists of 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF everything is totally consistent day to day. A cheat day would disrupt that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The weekend is a DEMISE for many because many "relax" their efforts, just like they relax from any work. Successful people usually follow regimen even through the weekends.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    One day a week eat anything you want for one meal. No big deal
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The weekend is a DEMISE for many because many "relax" their efforts, just like they relax from any work. Successful people usually follow regimen even through the weekends.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or plan for them. I am quite happy eating at 1200 during the week so I can have 2000-2500 on weekends and average 1550 per day over the week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    What's that white thing on the plate? A chicken breast?

I'd like to think it's a burrito.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

I could easily wipe out an entire week's deficit with one meal at an AYCE sushi bar.
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the point being that what matters in the end is your weekly deficit and not the daily deficit that determines whether or not fat mass will be lost. The human body is not a closed system. An excess of food calories does not get automatically stored as fat in a single day. As with most changes, the body fights against weight loss as well as weight gain by increasing leptin to signal the hypothalamus that the body is full, but also by increasing the body's energy expenditure at rest, so that the body can use the excess calories to help increase NEAT levels, which can have a significant impact on caloric expenditure, with some individuals able to easily burn through 1,000 calories through NEAT alone. These are the skinny people that everyone hates because they can seem to eat endless amounts of food without gaining an ounce of fat.

The problem occurs, however, when the brain hypothalamus releases Leptin in very large amounts on a continuous basis in response to overfeeding. The brain will eventually become resistant to the effects of Leptin on appetite, and the person can easily eat well over 2,000 calories over their maintenance a day without even trying.

• Azdak
    Options
    Again this meant to be a fun little throwaway, not a finger-wagging nanny post. Just a reminder that days don't exist in isolation. Many people on this site know this stuff already and plan their overall strait accordingly. I'm in the "everything in moderation" camp myself--that's why I don't like the "cheat day" term.

The graphic above can also hold true on a macro scale. I read a meta-study once that suggested that 70-80% of all adult lifetime weight gain came directly as a result of holiday (i.e. US Thanksgiving-New Years Day) eating.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Xvapor wrote: »

You haven't seen some of us eat. I can easily wipe out 3500 calories in one meal and eat my regular calories the rest of the day. It's easy for me which is why I never did it while losing weight. Maintenance is a different story.