Should I eat more or exercise less to slow down weightloss?

Options
frawley23
frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
As of yesterday I have a healthy bmi. I have lost 27kg (59lb) in 11 months which is just a touch more than my goal of .5kg a week. I would like to lose a few more kilos maybe 5-8 (11-17lbs) but at a much slower rate. I changed my goal to include a deficit of 150 calories a day and that brings my calorie goal to 1950 before any exercise adjustment (I'm tall).

At the moment I do 15km on the stationery bike 6 mornings of the week and at least 10000 steps throughout the day (stay at home Mum with an active toddler) so fitbit generally gives me 800-1100 exercise calories a day when mfp is set to sedentary. I find that eating between 1/2 and 3/4 gives me the loss I aim for.

My problem is I have no clue how to eat up to 2750 calories in a day without neglecting fruits and vegetables (I like to get my 800g a day) or eating 1/2 my calories in fat (which is inadvisable because I'm high risk for diabetes and was told that a lower fat diet would help in prevention). My portion sizes are already large and very satisfying. Health wise would I be better off trying to eat more or exercise less? If I should eat more does anyone have any high calorie food ideas that aren't empty calories or super high fat?

Replies

• perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding in a high protein shake to add calories or maybe some nut butters they are healthy but a few protein shakes if mixed with milk can add nicely
  • frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding in a high protein shake to add calories or maybe some nut butters they are healthy but a few protein shakes if mixed with milk can add nicely

That's a good idea, thank you. I'm a little low on the protein side of things most days so a protein shake would be a win win really.
  • NavajoGirl85
    NavajoGirl85 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I keep Premier Protein in my fridge and when I'm down on my potassium, calories and protein I drink one of those. It has like 30 grams of protien, 450 mg of potassium, and 160 calories in it. I have found that other "protein shakes" are high on sugar. However, these only have a gram of sugar and fairly low in sodium, which is I believe 210 mg give or take a little for the whole bottle. They are a little high on cost but they have enough in the case to just throw in your fridge just in case you need to add anything towards the end of the day.
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends what you view "super high fat" as. I eat about 30% of my calories from fat; helps with satiety and vitamin absorption. I focus on "good" or healthy fats where I can.

If your meals are already feeling high volume, calorie dense foods are absolutely the way to go. Pick up or make a healthy trail mix and you can pack 400-800 calories into a little better than a handful and get some healthy fats, carbs and protein. If you eat salad or sandwiches, consider including a few slices of avocado or bacon.. or both. Look for higher calorie or protein breads (tend to be thicker, have ingredients like flax). Personally, I just like to add cheese to like everything and somehow that seems to get me to both my calorie and protein goal haha. And if all else fails, an apple a day keeps the doctor away -- and no one said that apple couldn't be in a slice of pie...