Sodium Rant on local restaurant food!

2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    It's not just HBP. Kidney issues can really be affected by sodium.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    edited March 2017
    The Cliff Notes on Dr. Yusuf and sodium.
    If you're hypertensive, limit sodium.
    If you're not hypertensive, get 5000 mg.
    Why?
    Sodium is the first line of defense to infection.
    The Yanomamo Indians of South America get no salt and have no heart disease. They die of infections at an average age of 32.

That is one of the most valuable videos I've seen in the past year!!

"Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Tichels is endorsed by him.

Overall, dairy fat is protective. Red meat is neutral. White meat is slightly protective.
    Carbs are bad. Stay below 40% of total calories from carbs.
    Fruits and legumes are protective.
    Vegetables are neutral.
    Eggs are good.

I'm definitely going to bookmark this one.

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    nothin'
  • cmtigger
    As appealing as it is not not have to think about sodium, it's not what the well done research shows. If these 5000 mg studies could be reproduced by others outside of the organization recommendations might change, but so far these results have only been found by one organization and not repeated by others. http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/experts-slam-studies-questioning-the-need-to-cut-sodium-intake-1.1958512

• SusanHill6
    SusanHill6 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for all the comments. I usually cook HEALTHY meals at home and keep my sodium around 1500 mg. I have swelling and high BP. I think food chains should be responsible businesses and control the sodium in foods they serve. No wonder Americans have high BP, heart problems etc! We don't eat out often. I can tell when I have too much sodium. I did drink a lot of water that day too, which did not help any.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    SusanHill6 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments. I usually cook HEALTHY meals at home and keep my sodium around 1500 mg. I have swelling and high BP. I think food chains should be responsible businesses and control the sodium in foods they serve. No wonder Americans have high BP, heart problems etc! We don't eat out often. I can tell when I have too much sodium. I did drink a lot of water that day too, which did not help any.

Or people could research what they eat before hand and make the decisions that are best for them, instead of always blaming food chains or food manufacturers. Be responsible for yourself and don't expect others to do it.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    As appealing as it is not not have to think about sodium, it's not what the well done research shows. If these 5000 mg studies could be reproduced by others outside of the organization recommendations might change, but so far these results have only been found by one organization and not repeated by others. http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/experts-slam-studies-questioning-the-need-to-cut-sodium-intake-1.1958512

I met with my shiny new young DR about hypertension and later asked about sodium. Her recommendation was under 2000mg daily. I asked as a patient with hypertension but she felt that under 2kmg daily was good for all. YMMV.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger wrote: »

I met with my shiny new young DR about hypertension and later asked about sodium. Her recommendation was under 2000mg daily. I asked as a patient with hypertension but she felt that under 2kmg daily was good for all. YMMV.
    You are actually agreeing with me. It's what my doctor also said to me with hypertension and kidney stones.

I went over today, but with work I've been keeping in the 1500-2000 mg range most days.