Macro Ratios

Options
I can't seem to find my perfect macro ratio. Long story short, carbs are my problem. I can never meet the protein or fat, but I'm always over on carbs so when I get to dinner I have like no options. Anyone have a successful ratio they're working with that fits for them?

Goal is fat loss at a 1200 calorie a day deficit. Moderately active.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    The only advice there is?

Eat fewer carbs.

Log your food and then look at your food diary and figure out how to eat less of them. Start out by aiming to hit that protein goal every day.

I mean...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The macros are not going to match up perfectly everyday.
    Get enough protein and fat. It is o.k. to go over.
    If you want to reduce carbs, eat less fruit, bread, rice, pasta, cereal.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/

Try increasing these:
    beans, ham, turkey, pork chops, shrimp, beans, refried beans, dairy, milk, soy milk, chicken with skin.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I personally have 40/30/30 set but I sometimes have higher fat than carbs depending on what I'm eating. If you're new at this, then concentrate on getting your calorie goal right first. I eat a lot more chicken and fish than I used to, and eat a protein bar or homemade protein muffins to further increase my protein intake, the majority of my carbs are from weetabix in the morning and a small pasta box at lunch.

I also hope that if you're moderately active that's 1200 net and you're eating back some of what you're earning from exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It doesn't really matter...there's nothing magical about the default macro settings.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is your goal weight loss? As long as you're hitting your calorie goal, you'll lose weight.

That said, there is a minimum amount of protein and fat we need to function. Are you missing these goals by a little or a lot? If you're not meeting your needs, you should probably tweak your food choices (to choose foods with more protein and fat) instead of your macro goals.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter...there's nothing magical about the default macro settings.

Agreed. If you stay under/at your calorie goals it doesn't matter so much. Look at your macro settings as a goal not an absolute. It's ok to have too much fat one day or not enough the next day or the same with carbs. If you find you're going way over and that bothers you then you'll have to simply reduce the amount of bread/pasta/high-carb food you eat and increase protein or fats instead. Calories are what counts for weight loss.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Haha - my ratios hardly ever match and yes, I watch them. (side note - at 1200 calories, I do hope you're fueling your body properly.)

Try - mapping out your day ahead of time and don't deviate from it. Sounds like a pain and it might be, but if you truly want to meet your macros this may be the answer. Also, if you would rather eat more carbs at dinner time then eat protein full meals throughout the day. I eat a big egg white omelette with a little bit of veggies in the morning and a large portion of chicken or ground turkey (with a small side) at lunch because I like to have some carbs with dinner.

I go over on carbs almost daily and sometimes on fat, but I realize not everyday is the same. Also the carbs help fuel my day and my workouts, and most of them are healthy - so I try not to worry about it.

Keep going!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Look at your food diary and see what items are giving you higher carbs than others. X out 90 calories worth of that and add a can of chunk light tuna in water. If you still have carbs too high, X out 100 calories worth of that and add a 4-oz fillet of salmon.

Repeat, replacing 80 calories of carbs with an egg.

You'll get there.