Confused about calories and exercise

Options
Okay, so my daily calorie goal is 1200 calories, but when I exercise and burn calories (today I burnt 900 something), MFP adds on more calories for todays goal. Why is that?
Like, I thought you had to burn more calories than you eat... VERY confused, so please, someone explain. xx

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal of 1200 already has a deficit built in so MFP expects you to eat back your exercise calories, which results in a NET of 1200 calories.

If you burned 900 calories, you would actually consume around 2100 calories and you will still lose weight. I know it's counterintuitive, but it really does work! I typically burn about 300 calories in exercise every day and I eat 1700-1800 calories a day and lose about a pound a week.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Your net calories are at 1200, meaning you need to complete your day at 1200 calories. If you eat 1200, then exercise off 900, then you're at 300. That's a very dangerous long-term number. You're supposed to eat most or all of those calories back.

The 1200 calories takes into account the exercise level you put in (sedentary, lightly active, active, etc) and is calculated to have you lose weight with no additional exercise at the rate you chose (half pound per week, pound per week, etc). Any extra exercise you do needs to have the calories replaced for optimal weight loss.
  • HealthierChelle
    Options
    Calories are essentially used for energy, when you use calories by working out, you need to gain some of those calories back because you need the energy. Crazy I know, so as long as Im not feeling faint, I try to stick to my 1305 caloric goal. It's all up to you and your body! Good luck!!