Just starting out...

Options
I've been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and really need to get my eating and my consumption of carbs under control. I'm hoping by doing this I can avoid the progression of the diabetes. I saw what my father went through with his diabetes... lost a foot, lost his eyesight... and I don't want to travel the same path he did. I know this is going to be a hard and rough journey. I've tried losing weight before, was successful but then put it back on plus more once I stopped the diet. I can't consider this a diet, I have to consider this a life change. I'm hoping with the help of my family and friends I can be successful at this life change. Any ideas / suggestions / useful tips would be greatly appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kathy.

Sorry to hear about the diabetes. My sister-in-law, my best friend, and my husband's friend are all diabetics too. It is a constant battle but one that you can win. My SIL was able to get off medications and control her through diet and exercise. I regretfully am the opposite and am borderline hypoglycemic. So I am working on keeping my levels even.

Watch your carbs, I eat a low carb wrap (only 10 carbs) with chicken for lunch. The carbs on here are low but do not take in consideration if it is a good or bad carb. Work with your doctor or a dietician to help you set your goals for how much you should consume and if you are not exercise, start with walking. Excellent exercise and can be done anywhere! This is all stuff I have learned from the others.

Good luck!
  • kathyvalliere
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I have recently started seeing a CDE (Certified Diabetic Educator) and she is guiding me along as to how many carbs I can have and when to have them, etc. I know I need to exercise, but if I throw too much at myself all at once I will get frustrated and give up. So I'm starting with the life style change as far as food and will get to the exercise part in a few weeks. Coming from a "carb addict", cutting carbs is hard and it's a struggle, but I know for my health it's something I must do.