Percents are zeroed

Options
Just started using this app and my carbs, protein and sugars are all set to 0%. I have the option to adjust them but I have no idea what they should be. How do I determine?

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you set a calorie goal by entering your age, sex, height, weight, and weekly goal, it should give you the default percent and grams of each (Carbs 50%, protein 20%, fat 30%)[edit: I had fat and protein backwards]. You can then adjust according to your own goals and preferences if you want.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If you are not sure what percentages you would like, I would recommend using the MFP recommended percentages. I used what MFP recommended and lost 100 pounds. I was usually slightly under the recommended carbs and protein, and slightly over the recommended fats. I tried first to reach or exceed the recommended protein goal, then reach the fat goal, then fill in any remaining carbs when choosing foods to eat.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you log food, do they change?

I'm trying to figure out if they are set to 0% as a target/goal, or if you just are at 0% because you haven't eaten anything yet.

As for what they "should" be... there is no 1 right answer, but generally speaking it's good to have them pretty even/balanced, at least as a starting point. You can always tweak them down the road if you so choose. Most people will suggest something like a 40/30/30 (ish) split. If you tend to like your carbs, then put the 40 in carbs. If you tend to be more of a fats person, then put it there.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I'm trying to figure out if they are set to 0% as a target/goal, or if you just are at 0% because you haven't eaten anything yet.

I hadn't thought of that.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't even pay attention to % of anything. Just calories. I know if certain foods or eating at certain times make me more or less hungry so that's all I really pay attention to.
  • lulu6101
    lulu6101 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

As for what they "should" be... there is no 1 right answer, but generally speaking it's good to have them pretty even/balanced, at least as a starting point. You can always tweak them down the road if you so choose. Most people will suggest something like a 40/30/30 (ish) split. If you tend to like your carbs, then put the 40 in carbs. If you tend to be more of a fats person, then put it there.

They were at zero all the time so when I logged anything in it would show that I went over. I'm now using a suggested and will tweak as I see fit. Thank you!