Power output in Cyclebar (Spinning) class?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I am a runner who is in the midst of rehabbing a hamstring injury, so I have attended several classes at the local Cyclebar studio a a means of cross training (Cyclebar is similar to Spinning). The studio uses bikes that track all kinds of metrics, including your power output in watts. They also rank all of the riders in the class according to your average power output. I consider myself to be pretty fit, although I do not have a great deal of experience in cycling. As far as running goes, I am usually in the top 5% of my age group in races and my most recent race was a 10K that I ran in 44:56 (7:15 minute/mile). What is killing me, is that I am consistently in the bottom half of the class in cycling, despite giving it all of my effort. I have seen improvements in my overall power output over the three classes that I have taken as I have learned a little bit about how to increase my power with my foot stroke, but I still have a long way to go.

Last night my average output was 106 watts and there were people in the class achieving over 200 watts. There are times when the instructor tells us to set the resistance to levels that are beyond my ability to even move the peddles. Now, I know that I am working with a bumm hamstring, but I am also sure that this does not account entirely for my performance. So my question is for the experienced cyclists out there: Do you have any tips on how to improve my performance in this class? Do you think I am somewhat limited by my size (I am 99 lbs) or do I simply lack the strength in my legs? I have made it my mission to increase my average power to at least 120 over the next two classes, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    At 99 lbs, it's no wonder you're producing less power than other riders. The correct way to compare is watts per kilogram. You'll see this on a hill.

Most cyclists will produce the most power at high cadence, when the pedals are spinning very fast. Power = torque times cadence.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Get your cadence right - that's often a quick way to get an easy power boost. Grinding away at high resistance but slow cadence isn't the way to get good power output.

An efficient pedalling technique is again a "free" power boost - are you clipped in with proper cycling shoes?
    Good set up on the bike? Saddle height not too low (very common!) or too high (unusual but you do see people squirming trying to over-reach). Being small is the saddle forward enough for your height/leg length?

Yes you are very limited by your size - don't compare your power output against big people!
    Although obviously your CV fitness is good running isn't cycling, it takes time to adapt.

What helped me get my power up was doing long duration intervals, five to twelve minute intervals either side of my threshold power. So if 200w is my maximum for an hour I would be doing intervals alternating between 180 and 220. It's not a quick process though.

Personally I wouldn't be jeopardising making the hamstring worse by pushing too hard too soon.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I thought that size might be a factor in determining power output, but I wasn't sure if that translates to stationary bikes because you are not actually "moving" them.

@sijomial- Yes, I am clipped in. One of the instructors set the bike up for me on my initial class. The seat is all the way forward, but you may be right in that it is too low. I might try raising it a bit next time to see if that helps. I have noticed that I get the best power output when I have a medium resistance and I am standing in the saddle. I really have trouble keeping my cadence up with much resistance when I am sitting. I guess that is something that might improve over time. Thanks again for the tips.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're protecting your hammy, you'll not be pulling up on the pedal as much either, I'd guess.

Experienced cyclists/spinners pull on the upstroke with one leg whilst pushing on the downstroke with the other on each pedal revolution.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    By the way, you should ask whoever is running the studio how to "zero" (calibrate) the PM in the bike before you use it. And then do that every time before you get on the bike.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. I thought that size might be a factor in determining power output, but I wasn't sure if that translates to stationary bikes because you are not actually "moving" them.

@sijomial- Yes, I am clipped in. One of the instructors set the bike up for me on my initial class. The seat is all the way forward, but you may be right in that it is too low. I might try raising it a bit next time to see if that helps. I have noticed that I get the best power output when I have a medium resistance and I am standing in the saddle. I really have trouble keeping my cadence up with much resistance when I am sitting. I guess that is something that might improve over time. Thanks again for the tips.

For short bursts yes standing will give a high figure but for longer duration it's far less efficient (turning a non-weight bearing exercise into a weight bearing exercise).
    Prioritise a good cadence over high resistance. Your strength is your cardio not your legs, they have very limited duration before fatiguing but your CV system will keep you going all day.

I have a natural low cadence (60!) but getting to 80rpm was relatively easy and quick - that was a huge power boost for no real fitness improvement. Compared to more modern riders my (now) usual 85rpm is quite low.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I spin three times a week and have done so for the last 5 years. Each bike has a bit of a different personality, I suggest you ride in different parts of the room.

Also, the calibration isn't exact. There is definitely error on machines.

I am told that Lance Armstrong's power is 1600 watts. Mine is consistency in the 60's and 70's !!!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I always get my highest power sitting, not standing. I usually get a higher average power standing, but a lot of that is because people stand for the steepest hills but rarely to coast.

Example from Wednesday:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1635004586
    Max standing power 750w
    Max seated power 860w

Another example:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1624662102
    Max standing power 414w
    Max seated power 635w

Another example:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1621277864
    Max standing power 600w
    Max seated power 769w

I could keep going with this, the pattern is very clear.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Talk all the fancy terms you want, but running is not cycling, and it certainly doesn't equate to watts/power. Yes, your injury isn't helping. Neither is your size. But if you want to put out more power, you've got to get stronger. I do a fair bit of big ring interval work to help with this... if you want to train for it. Otherwise, play with your cadence a bit... see how you do at 60rpm vs 80, and go from there.
  • blank202
    blank202 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Some of the facts stated here are clearly wrong. All bikes should have a correct power meter once calibrated.
    I spin three times a week and have done so for the last 5 years. Each bike has a bit of a different personality, I suggest you ride in different parts of the room.

I am told that Lance Armstrong's power is 1600 watts. Mine is consistency in the 60's and 70's !!!!
    The most likely reason why these wattages are so different is because the bike is broken. This is because few instructors actually know how to handle stationary bikes with levers (power meters). After every ride you are supposed to push the lever all the way to the top, then push it all the way back down. The act of pushing the lever up disengages the magnets in the bike, and pushing the lever all the way back down resets the magnets. If you do not do this, the magnets in the bikes become destroyed. However, few gyms actually know this and as a result these $1500 bikes become absolutely wrecked and destroyed by casual gym members.

On properly calibrated bikes, few people should be able to average anywhere close to 200 watts--regardless of weight. Most likely the reason why people in your class are averaging these high wattage is because either the bike is broken or they are 75 kg+. Where I cycle, in which the bikes are carefully calibrated and maintained, out of the entire gym/spin classes only two people can average 200+ wattage: myself (~60kg and 240 watts) and a instructor who is semi professional and who I believe averages 270-300 watts also ~60 kg. However, at different gyms in which the bikes are not calibrated I can average 350 watts. To put that into perspective, that is ~6 watts/kg or near Tour de France level. Always reset your bikes
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    blank202 wrote: »
    Some of the facts stated here are clearly wrong. All bikes should have a correct power meter once calibrated.

The most likely reason why these wattages are so different is because the bike is broken. This is because few instructors actually know how to handle stationary bikes with levers (power meters). After every ride you are supposed to push the lever all the way to the top, then push it all the way back down. The act of pushing the lever up disengages the magnets in the bike, and pushing the lever all the way back down resets the magnets. If you do not do this, the magnets in the bikes become destroyed. However, few gyms actually know this and as a result these $1500 bikes become absolutely wrecked and destroyed by casual gym members.

On properly calibrated bikes, few people should be able to average anywhere close to 200 watts--regardless of weight. Most likely the reason why people in your class are averaging these high wattage is because either the bike is broken or they are 75 kg+. Where I cycle, in which the bikes are carefully calibrated and maintained, out of the entire gym/spin classes only two people can average 200+ wattage: myself (~60kg and 240 watts) and a instructor who is semi professional and who I believe averages 270-300 watts also ~60 kg. However, at different gyms in which the bikes are not calibrated I can average 350 watts. To put that into perspective, that is ~6 watts/kg or near Tour de France level. Always reset your bikes
    So ok, most of this thread is nearly a year old but when you said, "average anywhere close to 200 watts" how long of a time span were you talking about? The ride that I did inside on my smart trainer shortly before my bike crash (which has me now at least good abilities for me) my average for 1.5 hours was 170 watts. My ride this evening was an hour and I averaged 188 watts over the course of an hour (both were interval workouts, the first was over unders and the one this evening was vo2 max grossness).

Let me just say, I am by no means an amazing cyclist. Not at all. My FTP is 262 making my watts/kg 2.82. If my FTP stayed static it would be 3.6 by the time I reach my goal weight. That puts me (at my goal weight with a static FTP the latter of which is unrealistic), according to Andy Coggan's chart, at the bottom of Cat 3 racers (if say, I had race strategy and skills, which I don't have). Again, not remarcable for someone who trains on the bike on a regular basis (and even then, just three days a week most weeks).
  • blank202
    blank202 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When I say close to 200 watts I'm referring to a +/- 5watts (195-205watts) for 1 hour, doing a spin class. I've found that average watts in a spin class tends to be less than your average FTP since for FTP you are generally riding in a controlled cadence/wattage whereas in a spin class the wattage tends to jump up and down.

Of course on biking forums you'll find people who easily average way over 200 watts, nearing 300 watts; but in a spin class where most people are not avid cyclists, I would say if you see anyone averaging 200 watts and sub 75kg, check their bike.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've never done a spinning class that wasn't specific to cycling so I could see an average of 200 watts being high for people who aren't avid cyclists.

I will say though that when doing an FTP test it isn't really a prescribed watts situation in most cases. TrainerRoad has a new ramp test that they use to calculate FTP (which I quite like and they're getting accurate results) and that is definitely a controlled upwards ramp, but otherwise it's more "go as hard as you can sustain for 1 hour, 20 minutes, or two 8 minute blocks."