From dieting to a lifestyle change, inspired by my future (with pictures)

Options
ercarroll311
ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
edited March 2017 in Success Stories
At 25, I had been battling weight for 7 years. I was in grad school, working 4 jobs to have the best chance at getting the job I wanted after graduation. That was my focus, not my health. I was eating out every day, and eating junk when I wasn't out. I made no time for exercise, and spent any free time hanging out on the couch with my roommates. I didn't go near a scale because I didn't want to know the truth.

I had gone through a gallbladder surgery gone very wrong, and knew what poor diet could lead to. I had also shown signs of endometriosis for years, something my mom had that made her nearly unable to have children. My doctor suggested I could have PCOS also. That was it--I wasn't going to have two things holding me back from having a family. I knew the best way to deal with PCOS was to lose weight, so that's what I had to do it. I'd done it before, the crash diet. I ate my 1200 calories and skipped going out with friends, and sweat away after work on an elliptical. I'd get to my goal and slowly slip back to my old ways. Something had to change, for good.

I looked around for inspiration, especially to my parents. 15 years before, my dad had decided to make a change himself. He started walking, cooking better things, logging what he ate (paper and pencil, he used--he's in his 70s, so not online diary for him). Meanwhile, my mom had yo-yo dieted my whole life. Nutrisystem and step aerobics, then gain weight, Weight Watchers and Curves, then gain weight... she was overweight and not doing anything about it anymore. I'd been through cancer and two heart surgeries with my parents, and didn't want that for my kids, if I could help it.

I decided I'd lose the weight slowly, something I'd always known to be better for you, but never wanted to take the time to do. It's frustrating to see the scale move slowly, and those water weight gains can get you down. But I wanted to be able to go out on weekends, enjoy holidays without guilt. I started walking my new 10 lb puppy. Any labrador owners know how much they need their exercise. It was small at first, a couple of half hour walks per day. I found I liked it a lot, could use that time to relax. I'd meal plan, think about upcoming lesson plans (I did get that job I wanted), and schedule out my week.

I also learned some new things. For instance, if I'm not excited about what I'm making for dinner, the likelihood of me eating something less great skyrockets. I decided I'd learn to cook things I love in a healthier way. Skinnytaste and similar blogs were helpful. I tried out Thai, (Americanized) Chinese, Korean, Latin American (this was already really familiar to me), Italian, Mediterranean, Indian... basically I'll try anything! I love it, and I look forward to my own cooking way more than restaurants. It was intimidating at first, looking at long ingredient lists or things I hadn't done, but it's been fun learning.

Fast forward to today: That puppy is 90 lbs heavier and I'm 60 lbs lighter. The walking is about 10 miles per day now, and I run 3x/week and lift weights 3x/week. It's great for stress, and the results get me excited for the gym like I never was before. I cook nearly every night, always trying new things, and can enjoy the special occasions. It's a lifestyle that I'll someday teach to children. I don't have PCOS, by the way, but the endometriosis was surgically diagnosed. My doctor is confident I'll have no trouble conceiving, but for now I'm cherishing my full nights' sleep. I'm getting married this year, and there's no pre-wedding diet to add stress.

MFP has been a big part of my success, and these forums have done everything from answer questions I have, gives me ideas for exercises and recipes and how to be successful, find new people with similar interests, and inspire me. I hope I can inspire someone to make the change, now for the scale or the mirror (though they don't hurt), but for their future and their family's future.

[post edited by MFP moderators]

Of course, gotta have the visual proof:

Before: 175 lbs 5'3"
h5vnps04svs8.jpg
ilzs9n6xwcfq.jpg
0a0bwbuj9zcv.jpg

After 115 lbs (not any taller... :neutral: )
2cyhqp7g0b56.jpg
g[/img]
y55qjnhsduko.jpg
whl6zhk1sigw.jpgauilnfelsbcn.jpg

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    you look amazing!
  • ercarroll311
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sorry, it deleted all of my text... trying to fix it.

Update: Fixed, yay!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    wow congrats wtg
  • cocmares
    cocmares Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Freaking awesome!!! you look amazing and so happy! Very Motivational thank you for posting:)
    He's so adorable too ❤️
  • elsapm
    elsapm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow...great job, you look amazing!
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    HOLY $h!T, wow! Amazing transformation! :)
  • kimv1188
    kimv1188 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You look incredible! Amazing...just amazing. Thank you for posting!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Jaw droppingly stunning transformation. You are utterly gorgeous and look so strong and healthy.

Totally loved your story too, very well written. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. Best wishes for your upcoming wedding you will be a very beautiful bride.

<3
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that it's not real if there isn't a photo of the grown dog. Congrats. I walk 6 miles daily with Psycho puppy.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    That dog is beautiful!! You did good too. Congratulations!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Fabulous :) I started with walking myself and just kept on adding new stuff. Do you still log? And what does your doc say now?

WTG!
  • motoveg
    motoveg Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, that after shot is great! Even though you looked fine in your before, I guess it really boild down to how we feel though. Congrats!
  • Ani2bfit
    Ani2bfit Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! What a difference! Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!!
  • Landofkim
    Landofkim Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your story is inspirational! Thanks for sharing. I am joyful for you .
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Bless up. This is an awesome post and awesome transformation. Congratulations on all your hardwork :smiley:
  • ercarroll311
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Fabulous :) I started with walking myself and just kept on adding new stuff. Do you still log? And what does your doc say now?

WTG!

@lilawolf I do log everyday, even those weekends with a few too many drinks, so I know where I need to be throughout the week. I think the times before when I'd reach a goal and quit logging made it easy for me to lie to myself about how much I'd eaten. I'm a planner, so I kind of enjoy the logging.

My doctor, a different one now from before, is very encouraging. He thinks I'll have no problem having kids in a couple years, and feels good about the health of the pregnancy with my attention to exercise and nutrition.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    At 25, I had been battling weight for 7 years. I was in grad school, working 4 jobs to have the best chance at getting the job I wanted after graduation. That was my focus, not my health. I was eating out every day, and eating junk when I wasn't out. I made no time for exercise, and spent any free time hanging out on the couch with my roommates. I didn't go near a scale because I didn't want to know the truth.

I had gone through a gallbladder surgery gone very wrong, and knew what poor diet could lead to. I had also shown signs of endometriosis for years, something my mom had that made her nearly unable to have children. My doctor suggested I could have PCOS also. That was it--I wasn't going to have two things holding me back from having a family. I knew the best way to deal with PCOS was to lose weight, so that's what I had to do it. I'd done it before, the crash diet. I ate my 1200 calories and skipped going out with friends, and sweat away after work on an elliptical. I'd get to my goal and slowly slip back to my old ways. Something had to change, for good.

I looked around for inspiration, especially to my parents. 15 years before, my dad had decided to make a change himself. He started walking, cooking better things, logging what he ate (paper and pencil, he used--he's in his 70s, so not online diary for him). Meanwhile, my mom had yo-yo dieted my whole life. Nutrisystem and step aerobics, then gain weight, Weight Watchers and Curves, then gain weight... she was overweight and not doing anything about it anymore. I'd been through cancer and two heart surgeries with my parents, and didn't want that for my kids, if I could help it.

I decided I'd lose the weight slowly, something I'd always known to be better for you, but never wanted to take the time to do. It's frustrating to see the scale move slowly, and those water weight gains can get you down. But I wanted to be able to go out on weekends, enjoy holidays without guilt. I started walking my new 10 lb puppy. Any labrador owners know how much they need their exercise. It was small at first, a couple of half hour walks per day. I found I liked it a lot, could use that time to relax. I'd meal plan, think about upcoming lesson plans (I did get that job I wanted), and schedule out my week.

I also learned some new things. For instance, if I'm not excited about what I'm making for dinner, the likelihood of me eating something less great skyrockets. I decided I'd learn to cook things I love in a healthier way. Skinnytaste and similar blogs were helpful. I tried out Thai, (Americanized) Chinese, Korean, Latin American (this was already really familiar to me), Italian, Mediterranean, Indian... basically I'll try anything! I love it, and I look forward to my own cooking way more than restaurants. It was intimidating at first, looking at long ingredient lists or things I hadn't done, but it's been fun learning.

Fast forward to today: That puppy is 90 lbs heavier and I'm 60 lbs lighter. The walking is about 10 miles per day now, and I run 3x/week and lift weights 3x/week. It's great for stress, and the results get me excited for the gym like I never was before. I cook nearly every night, always trying new things, and can enjoy the special occasions. It's a lifestyle that I'll someday teach to children. I don't have PCOS, by the way, but the endometriosis was surgically diagnosed. My doctor is confident I'll have no trouble conceiving, but for now I'm cherishing my full nights' sleep. I'm getting married this year, and there's no pre-wedding diet to add stress.

MFP has been a big part of my success, and these forums have done everything from answer questions I have, gives me ideas for exercises and recipes and how to be successful, find new people with similar interests, and inspire me. I hope I can inspire someone to make the change, now for the scale or the mirror (though they don't hurt), but for their future and their family's future.

[post edited by MFP moderators]

Of course, gotta have the visual proof:

Before: 175 lbs 5'3"
    h5vnps04svs8.jpg
    ilzs9n6xwcfq.jpg
    0a0bwbuj9zcv.jpg

After 115 lbs (not any taller... :neutral: )
    2cyhqp7g0b56.jpg
    g[/img]
    y55qjnhsduko.jpg
    whl6zhk1sigw.jpgauilnfelsbcn.jpg

I am very proud of you!

• meli348
    meli348 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @ercarroll311 , you look amazing! And congrats on the upcoming wedding! What's your lifting routine like now?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!