What has surprised you most about losing weight?

Options
MrsSeager
MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Started my diet about a week ago. I'm 5'4" and started at 216lbs. I gained about 30lbs after I had two children in two and a half years. Ive lost 3lbs since I started last week. I've never been successful on a diet so I'm hoping this app and community will help me be successful this time around, because I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! Question is, what were some things that happened to you when you started losing weight? Did your coworkers look at you differently, did you sleep better at night? What was the most surprising change in your life after you started to lose weight? Just curious!

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My quality of sleep had been better, therefore I find it much easier to wake up when I need to. If I eat plenty of protein, I have lots of energy for weight lifting.

I lost a lot of weight (for me) in a relatively short amount of time, so I have tons of people still telling me about how different I look.

It's all about feeling good though.
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

"I am cold all the time. I feel like I can never get warm (unless when I am working out). Especially my hands and feet. "

No just me then...

• madroge
    madroge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 years ago and my mom broke her neck 2 years ago- hence 70 lbs heaver... Its time for it to go..

I'm three weeks in - 9.4 lbs down so far- 60.6 lbs to go... My energy level does seem to have increased. My appetite seems to have diminished without trying too hard. Can't wait to get out of these "fat" clothes- I'm so ready to start dropping sizes... Loving this app keeping me accountable
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It surprised me that the more weight I lost, the more difficult it got to continue losing. I had never been as big as I was when I started really concentrating on losing weight and when I had lost 10-20 pounds in the past, I hadn't specifically paid attention to body composition, lifted weights the way I do now, etc. I went from my high weight to my goal weight fairly quickly back then. But once I started this effort and got to 10-20 pounds from goal, my experience moving to goal was entirely different. Much more physically and psychologically challenging. Losing 50 pounds was easy. Losing the last 10-20 very difficult.
  • V_Faery
    V_Faery Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have more energy, I no longer crave soda. I can sleep better at night
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When I was overweight and borderline obese, my blood pressure was too high, my back was giving me problems, and it was hard to find professional clothing that fit well and looked good. After losing weight, my blood pressure is under control, my back no longer hurts, and it's easier to dress for my job. I was quite active even when I was overweight, but now I can climb hills a lot faster on my bicycle, and I was able to take up running again.

I'd say I had lost 25 pounds (out of 65) before my co-workers noticed anything.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I have fewer aches & pains. Used to get headaches often, and I have some knee/ankle issues as a residual effect from a car accident years ago. I still have occasional headaches/knee pains but its now occasional rather than often.

I was surprised that I lost weight in my fingers. I mean, my fingers didn't seem fat. I was heavier when we got our wedding rings, and they're made from two types of gold. We were told when we bought them that they could not be resized. THe adjuster inserts make callouses and are uncomfortable so I just wear my wedding ring on the middle finger of my left hand.
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    Started my diet about a week ago. I'm 5'4" and started at 216lbs. I gained about 30lbs after I had two children in two and a half years. Ive lost 3lbs since I started last week. I've never been successful on a diet so I'm hoping this app and community will help me be successful this time around, because I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired! Question is, what were some things that happened to you when you started losing weight? Did your coworkers look at you differently, did you sleep better at night? What was the most surprising change in your life after you started to lose weight? Just curious!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have fewer aches & pains. Used to get headaches often, and I have some knee/ankle issues as a residual effect from a car accident years ago. I still have occasional headaches/knee pains but its now occasional rather than often.

I was surprised that I lost weight in my fingers. I mean, my fingers didn't seem fat. I was heavier when we got our wedding rings, and they're made from two types of gold. We were told when we bought them that they could not be resized. THe adjuster inserts make callouses and are uncomfortable so I just wear my wedding ring on the middle finger of my left hand.
    MrsSeager wrote: »

Oh, that reminds me--I was surprised about fat loss in my neck. I had already lost over 50 pounds and was maintaining and yet my neck kept getting smaller even when I was at a point where I didn't think of my neck as overly fat anymore. It remained a steady size for months on end and then suddenly in one month lost somewhere between 1/2" and 1".
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Boosted sex drive...not that I really needed one...

I'm jealous.