how are people sogood wth this app. i cant do it

Options
im honestly depresssed. new years i said "20 pounds gonna lose it all" and it turned into me sutting today, i need to lose 20 pounds. starting my diet today. then the same thing will happen tomorrow. im so mad at myself. i track what im gonna eat and it soesnt work. i eat like 15 different snacks that im supposed to. i follow so many motivational instrgams, have all these goal pictures. and my brain sucks. i cant find a way to put mind over matter. im training for a half marathon and play soccer yet i cant eat healthy anymore. i used to be SO healthy like 113 pounds. and now look at me. im disgusting. i gained it all back. im going on vacation in 3 weeks and i hate looking in the mirror. :(:'(:s

Replies

• kerrimeng4
    kerrimeng4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't try and cut back your calories all at once. Decrease your calories a little at a time and then your body won't be in so much shock. Yes it will take longer to lose but you'll still be seeing some loss. You can do this!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You mentioned overeating snacks (unhealthy ones, I think). Gradually introducing more and more healthy foods (like vegetables) might help with that.
  • Tryingtogetfitdeb
    Tryingtogetfitdeb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to be in the right place mentally. I've been wanting to lose weight for a few years and have messed about on weight watchers, this year I decided I really wanted to change my eating habits and my body, I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but have lost 11lb this year.

Good luck
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Sounds as if you need to make small changes a little at a time. I started with cutting back on soda in 2010 and now I drink about 130 ounces of water a day. I then ate what sounded good but cut my portions in half (because those restaurant portions are huge!). Then I really wanted to eat healthy, started eating more vegetables and fruits. And years later I now watch my calories and my macronutrients and am more disciplined.

Don't compare yourself to someone else - they're at a different place in their journey, they have completely different issues and it's not you!

Make small goals each week and then be happy when you accomplish them.

Recipes - look up some because healthy food doesn't have to be tasteless nor boring!

Keep it up, you're here and trying

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Log even when you go over. Even better, log it before you put it in your mouth. Seeing it on paper is scary, but sometimes what you need to see. I get it. I've been there. You will fail. You will go over your limits. You will feel like you are not good enough. But you know what? Every day that you try is a success. Just like quitting smoking, you will relapse. It is NORMAL to have some relapses. Maybe your goals are too big for now. Make small goals. When you hit that small goal (even if it's waiting 10 minutes before you eat the snack that puts you over in calories) smile, and tell yourself, "I am awesome, I can do this!" Then set another goal. When you fail the goal, tell yourself, "I am awesome, I can do this!" and set another one.
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Are you weighting all the food you are eating and tracking all of it? Are you tracking everything you drink? Is it all staying within your MFP calorie goal? Saying that you are going to mess it up again tomorrow gives you a negative start and with that attitude you are more likely to slip up the next day. Do one solid week of actively weighing and tracking every single thing you eat and drink and then maybe you will realize you are actually consuming more calories than you thought you were or you might realize the calories in the unhealthy food are going to push you way over so you have to eat less or eat something better for you.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    At first you think about nothing BUT food all the time. "I can't eat this food. I can't eat that food. I can't eat food." But (for me anyway) it helped to start eating the SAME THING for breakfast & lunch almost every day. Voila. Didn't have to think about what I "can" or "can't" eat. Over time I just began to think less about food in general. Eventually it became a habit. Of course there are times I feel *ravenous* and think of all sorts of yummy foods. If I can just stop obsessing about them and eat something healthy (baby carrots, cucumbers, a few nuts, etc) I tend to get past the urge and forget about it. Be kind to yourself, and you will do what's best for you.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    It's a long journey, you won't be there in 3 wks if you have much to lose.

1. focus on tracking your food, it builds the awareness essential to making changes
    2. read through the sticky threads in Started, especially
    - Achieving your fitness and weight-loss objectives
    - Most Helpful Posts - Getting Started (Must Reads)
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us have been there. I'd been telling myself for over a year I was going to get back to my college weight, but it wasn't until the last few months that I was able to commit. A few tips from my experience -
    1. Be as active as possible. It sounds like you're definitely getting exercise if you're training for a half-marathon, so just make sure you're pushing yourself during your workout. Doing cardio has made a world of difference in my life; not just because I'm burning calories, but also because it helps me control my appetite. And, any time spent on the treadmill (or whatever) is time you're not vegging out in front of the TV! Always a win.
    2. COOK. This was the other game-changer for me. It's really hard to eat well if you're not preparing your own meals. Healthy food doesn't have to be boring and bland, either; I've found loads of recipes that are easy, delicious, and low-calorie. Find a few meals you like that you can whip up without too much effort, that'll help you make better food choices
    3. Eat slooowly. Savor your food. Eating slower will allow you to eat for a longer period of time (win) and it'll make it easier to realize you're full. When you're not hungry anymore, stop eating. Put any leftovers in the fridge immediately, or if it's not enough to save for later, just throw it away.
    4. Find good, healthy snack food to keep in the house. Don't even buy fattening junk food; if it's not in the house, you'll be much less likely to eat it. Fruit can be a great snack, particularly things like strawberries that are relatively low in calories. I also like those 100-calorie snack packs you can find at the grocery store. They have a bunch of different brands like Oreos and Chips Ahoy, and they'll satisfy a sweet tooth but will make it harder to overeat since the packages are only 100 calories.
    5. Enter your food in your diary ahead of time. This can be a tough one but it really does help. When you know exactly how many calories you're about to consume, you can adjust the portions/ingredients if needed. It's better than logging it after the fact, and realizing one meal just set you back 1000 calories! Also, if you log your next meal(s) before your workout, it might motivate you to spend some extra time to burn more calories.
    6. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, and don't beat yourself up. Particularly in the early stages of a weight loss journey, I don't think it's necessarily helpful to garner inspiration from Instagram or Pinterest where most people have bodies like models. It'll probably just bum you out, because those kinds of results take considerable time and effort, and can seem like a long way off at this point. On that same note, don't berate yourself because you don't look like you used to. It's not helpful and will probably have a negative effect on your motivation. Focus on little victories (e.g. eat a healthy lunch one day, skip dessert a few times a week).
    7. Don't worry so much about the number on the scale. My last piece of advice is not to let your life revolve around the scale. If you do that and don't think you're losing weight fast enough, you might get a "screw it" attitude and give up. Focus on how you FEEL, not what the scale says. If I were you, I'd only weigh myself once a week in the beginning because your weight will fluctuate day to day.

That’s all I have for you, I hope you take it to heart. I’ve been exactly where you are, starting over on my diet every day and ruining it before the sun even went down. By following the above advice, I’ve lost 35 lbs since the new year and I feel better than I have in years. Be patient and stay positive, you can do it.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try to be patient. Everyone has to start somewhere and results can take months to see...and then only if you've been really consistent. Just take it one day at a time and you'll begin to see progress eventually.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    You have just signed up here. Spend some time reading the stickies at the top of each sub-forum. They are chock-a-block full of the best information to help you lose weight using MFP.

Cheers, h.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon. You're running a half- marathon. Mindless repetition over and over in days of training 5,7 or 10 miles a day. You know how to make a commitment and stick with it. You know how to do something even when you don't feel like it. This is one more of those.

If you only have 20# to lose, then just realize that without learning how to create healthy eating habits where you have some control most of the time, you might need to lose 30# next year and 40# the following year. You can do this. You just need to- just do it.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I was never able to lose weight when I hated the way I looked. Once I figured out I deserved to be loved just the way I was, it got easier to improve myself.

Just want to point out that there is some pseudo psychiatric science to this, along with a personal anecdote.

When we are stressed (unhappy, sad, depressed, scared, panicked, etc any extreme emotion) it causes our bodies to release lots of different hormones, one of that usually gets called out as the stress hormone is cortisol. Not only can a sea of stress hormones make it difficult to stay on track, not over eat, and keep a level head, they can also make your body fight to hold on to water weight as well making it seem like diet changes don't don't work.

Over the course of losing a lot of weight I've found that if I'm ever truly unhappy to the point of being stressed or angry, my weight will. not. budge. But if I can force a smile on my face and find inner tranquility the scale numbers move on a drumbeat.

So, what I'm saying is... Chin up! The hardest part sometimes is keeping a positive attitude, but sometimes it's the easiest part too!
  • lalecrax
    lalecrax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1. BE NICE TO YOURSELF
    2. Accept the fact that this process takes time
    3. Log what you eat and learn from it

This is true. Logging what you eat is a big help. I now knownsome foods by heart and calories and how much it is to burn one block of a very small chocolate.. like 1 hour so its not worth it. Track everythinf you can it really helps.
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree - Be Nice to Yourself! You aren't disgusting, first of all, and you wouldn't be no matter how much weight you gained. Generally, beating the *kitten* out of yourself doesn't help us accomplish things. Doing this is already a challenge, why add to it by calling yourself names and hating on yourself. You've been doing that for months and it hasn't worked. Try the opposite. Tell yourself that you are a good person, you deserve good things, you want to lose this weight and you will be healthier and happier when you do.

It may also be good to look at your weight loss goals and see how realistic they are. If you're doing this with the idea that you're *never* going to eat chocolate, or sugar, or pizza, or something you really love ever again, you are going to be divided over whether or not you really want to make that sacrifice. But you don't have to give up everything. Save your calories here and there, and promise yourself a treat once or twice a week, then work it into your calories. If you hang our on the forums, lots of people will have good examples of how they make room for food they love, so that they don't feel deprived.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Stop the negative self abusive talk. Find things to like and be positive about yourself even if you are not at your ultimate goal. If you are training for a half marathon and playing soccer regularly you must be somewhat fit and capable.
    Start with where you are. Accept that lasting change takes time.

Set your goal to .5 lb a week if you only have 20 lbs to lose. Eat some of your exercise calories.
    Don't change your diet yet just log for a week or so. What foods are satisfying to you? When do you feel hungriest? Notice your patterns. Notice if you are getting enough protein, fats and fiber in your diet. Notice foods and drinks that you have trouble fitting in your calorie goal. How do you feel about those foods? Are they worth the calories or not? Are you overeating every day or just particular days? Do you have problems with overeating when you are stressed, sad, angry, bored?

Start adding more protein foods or vegetables to your diet. Reduce high calorie low nutrition snacks. Try eating lower calorie versions of foods you enjoy. If you are usually hungry later in the day then eat more of your calories then.
    If you eat for reasons other than hunger then address that. Develop different tools for dealing with those issues. Therapy, meditation, music, art, journaling, etc.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    The issue may be trying to do a total 180. So here's some advice I give to clients who may be in the same boat: Find one thing that you can change for 3 weeks. It could be just getting up and moving around for 15 minutes a day or taking a walk around your block. Whatever it is, commit to doing it for 3 weeks. And once you make it a habit, then add something else.
    Sometimes some people just need a slow change in life and not one that pressures them so much that they give up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png