question/concern about skating...

Options
i have been roller blading as exercise lately. there are two entries available for skating in the database. one is "rollerblading (in-line skating)" and the other is "skating (roller blading)". the first option burns (basically) twice as many calories than the second option. if i am roller blading, which one should i log in? i thought roller blades are technically in-line skates. i am confused and hoping that someone knows the correct difference.

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Actually, the real "Roller skates" have 4 wheels and the brake in the front. The in-line ones are the skates with the wheels... well, in line.

Good luck!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    i have been roller blading as exercise lately. there are two entries available for skating in the database. one is "rollerblading (in-line skating)" and the other is "skating (roller blading)". the first option burns (basically) twice as many calories than the second option. if i am roller blading, which one should i log in? i thought roller blades are technically in-line skates. i am confused and hoping that someone knows the correct difference.

Somebody has put in those calories by the looks of it but the calorie differences are deceiving.

This is an excerpt off the net re inline skating and roller blading - they are one and the same:
    Rollerblading is a name used for this sport because of the large role that the Rollerblade Company played in making inline skating popular. Rollerblade, Inc. did not invent, design or manufacture the very first inline skates. But, the Rollerblade Company was so successful in marketing inline skates and equipment that the term “rollerblading” was and still is used when referring to inline skating sports. Inline skates are often called "rollerblades" regardless of which company actually built them. The name Rollerblade has become inline skating to most people, overshadowing other manufacturers and leaving out a lot of the history of roller and inline roller.

Inline skating or inline roller skating is the official name for “rollerblading” or “blading” sports and inline skates is the correct name for "rollerblades" manufactured by any other company. If you actually use Rollerblade brand skates, then you are really Rollerblading, otherwise, the correct description is inline skating.

These are the calories used up for Skating with roller skates, either quads or inlines:

All depends how much you weigh and are calories used per hour:

Up to 130lbs - 413
    130lbs to 155lbs - 493
    Above 190lbs - 604

Hope this helps
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I rollerblade also. However, I use my HRM to gadge my calories.

I weigh 148 and usually burn about 250 - 300 per 1/2 hour (depending on the wind).

I agree with the above posters estimates.
    :flowerforyou:

BTW - I enter it as Rollerblading.
  • scottclm
    scottclm Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks!! that is very helpful!