Baked Pumpkin

Options
I'm out of the country for a few days and just went down for breakfast and they had "baked pumpkin".. it actually didn't seem seasoned and it was DELICIOUS. VERY tasty and filling.

I paired it with plain yogurt (as described by the Chinese) filled with fruit and some walnuts.

Delicious!!!

Has anybody ever made Baked Pumpkin? Any suggestion?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have roasted winter squash (sometimes pumpkin) all the time. All I do is cut it into pieces (not a lot, but so I can put them on a roasting pan), scrape off the seeds, etc. (save the seeds, they are good too), heat the oven to 400, maybe use a bit of olive oil on them, salt and perhaps pepper, and bake until they appear finished (check the texture). Time depends on the type of squash.

You can take them off of the skin/shell pretty easily once they are roasted. Some kinds like delicata you don't have to, though--you can eat it too.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    thanks lem... I figured something like that. Do you ever use the puree? add it to yogurt? I'm actually excited about this!! I''ve had butternut squash plenty, but I enjoy this more.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    thanks lem... I figured something like that. Do you ever use the puree? add it to yogurt? I'm actually excited about this!! I''ve had butternut squash plenty, but I enjoy this more.

I don't, but I have a friend who does and really enjoys it with yogurt.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I eat pumpkin nearly every day.

I can buy fresh whole or chunks of calabaza (pumpkin) year-round at the local multi-cultural grocery stores. I peel it with a sturdy vegetable peeler, seed it and roast the seeds, and cut the flesh into bite-size cubes. I will microwave about 300g of cubes, and season them with a few squirts of butter spray, Tajin seasoning, and Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning.

I also make a slightly sweetened Pumpkin Pie Bar I have for a bedtime snack almost every day with a drizzle of chocolate and a little peanut butter.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat roast pumpkin most days - with dinner, not as a sweet thing

I never quite grasped the US obsession with sweet potato/pumpkin as desserts/sweet dishes... Hey ho... That said, I have grated it raw in to my protein pancake mix before blending to add some vegies. (I also use zucchini for a lower carb alternative)

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I never quite grasped the US obsession with sweet potato/pumpkin as desserts/sweet dishes... Hey ho... That said, I have grated it raw in to my protein pancake mix before blending to add some vegies. (I also use zucchini for a lower carb alternative)

If there is a way to ruin a perfectly respectable vegetable with sugar or deep frying (sometimes both) we will find it :tongue:
  • noorandjenna1
    noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love Kabocha squash, but the pumpkin we get here is not sweet at all.
    Kabocha squash tastes like the purple sweet potatos
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

If there is a way to ruin a perfectly respectable vegetable with sugar or deep frying (sometimes both) we will find it :tongue:

Mmmm, fried kale! Actually my daughter likes to smother kale in cheddar and bake it.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    x81tmkel6dan.jpg
    I love roasting pumpkin as well as using it in stews.

I cut a small sugar pumpkin in to small chunks and add it to stew.

During the holidays, fresh roasted pumpkin is the only kind that I use for pies, rolls or cheesecake. Here are my pumpkin rolls.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2017
    Options

I like squash-based desserts, although I have them rarely, as a holiday thing. I eat savory winter squash (including pumpkin) much more often -- few times a week in the fall and winter.

Now interested in the idea of pumpkin rolls, too.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I roast about 20 pumpkins every fall (the small sugar pie pumpkins) and freeze the puree. I mostly use it in pies, breads, muffins, etc... but I've also added it to smoothies, oatmeal, and made some pasta sauces out of it. Currently I am making Pumpkin Spice protein lattes with actual Pumpkin in them.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    As a kid growing up (I'm a lot older now), I have to admit that I encountered pumpkin only during the holiday season in pies and as a bread basis. And never other squashes, with exception of zucchini.

Now I'm an adult squash addict and this includes pumpkin whenever. Making up for lost time, I guess, LOL. Anyway, most hard squash recipes can freely substitute the actual type, including pumpkin, with very similar results.

We just got back from a Carib. sailing vacation (BVIs) where pumpkin was served a couple times. I'm now trying to reverse-engineer from memory a recipe for a savory "pumpkin hash" that was served with a grilled grouper in one restaurant.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    I roast about 20 pumpkins every fall (the small sugar pie pumpkins) and freeze the puree. I mostly use it in pies, breads, muffins, etc... but I've also added it to smoothies, oatmeal, and made some pasta sauces out of it. Currently I am making Pumpkin Spice protein lattes with actual Pumpkin in them.

that sounds amazingly ideal.. Costco, however, has ruined my freezer space. I have a chest in the garage as well that is full. It is my mission to empty it out with dinners and lunches before 5/1!!

Stews/chilis/soups
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I like squash-based desserts, although I have them rarely, as a holiday thing. I eat savory winter squash (including pumpkin) much more often -- few times a week in the fall and winter.

Now interested in the idea of pumpkin rolls, too.

I've just remembered we used to have pumpkin scones (American biscuits I think?) at my school canteen - they were huge, and fluffy in the middle. Slightly sweet and delicious served warm with butter...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    In Canada, pumpkin is a sweet thing ... pumpkin pie, pumpkin flavoured lattes and all sorts.

In Australia, pumpkin is a savoury thing ... roast pumpkin, pumpkin soup, pumpkin and ricotta, etc. etc.

I grew up in Canada eating pumpkin as a sweet thing ... then I moved to Australia and had pumpkin as savoury for the first time. I prefer pumpkin as a savoury food. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just had steamed pumpkin along with my cauliflower, broccolini, carrots, peas and brussel sprouts with dinner.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I put pumpkin in my plain Greek yogurt with pumpkin spice, regularly! Love it !
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I use the puree all the time with either yogurt or cottage cheese or in smoothies. I'm making protein pumpkin bread today as well.

I just roasted off a big sheet pan of butternut squash to have with lunches this week.
  • TheRambler
    Options
    Pumpkin in smoothies sounds delicious!!!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I buy butternut squash and pumpkin by the dozen in the fall when they are in season and cheap and roast and steam them before freezing. Delicious as a side, with yogurt, in a smoothie etc. Cheap and nutritious.