Food DIary Advice - Am I eating too little?

Options
I've been seeing a lot on here about eating too few calories, I have my weight loss goal set to 1lb a week which gives me 1600 calories to eat in a day. I go under this a lot of the time, but then on weekends I have gone over (sometimes by quite a lot!!)
Will this average out over the week?
I'd be really grateful if anyone would look at my diary and give me any advice.
And I plan to be drinking less booze :-)

Replies

• MrBecky
    MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are calorie cycling, are you?

Women should never eat under 1200 calories per day, but I noticed you've only done that a couple times lately. Have you been at it for a long time?
    I've been eating under my TDE for so long that I have metabolic damage. What is your weight loss history?
  • MrBecky
    Options
    I'm not following anything specific but just trying to cut calories and eat healthily most of the time. I'm not sure what calorie cycling is!
    I have ended up going way over my calories on the weekends mainly from alcohol and a few treats!

My weight loss history - I did VLCDs a few times - Cambridge Diet type things, and also used to go a bit mad, eat only one small meal a day for about a week but then binge on weekends, all this interspersed with me NOT dieting and eating way too much - carbs, big portions, too much alcohol.

It has been over 2 and a half years since I last did a faddy diet as it never did me any good and always led to me putting weight on afterwards so I'm really trying to do this right and sustainably now! x
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Yes this will average out over the week, you will see many people on here having a cheat day or cheat meal where they will go over their calorie goal, but overall they are still in a deficit for the week.

When people say not eating enough calories this tends to be pointed towards the 1200 groupd who don't get min 1200 net.

How much do you have to lose?
  • MrBecky
    Options
    I was hoping it was more about averaging out over the week.
    I am pretty much always over 1200 so I'l stick with it then I reckon. I've got 34lbs to go.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    As long as your net is around 1300 on most days, you'll be fine.
    If MFP says you should be 1600, then usually that's where your net should be, as the weight loss deficit is already built in so that the more you move, the more you get to eat. A little way under/over that isn't so bad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your goal for 1 pound a week is a good goal.

Be sure to eat 1600 Net. So when you exercise you actually may need more than 1600.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    @ 34lb to go you should be aiming for 1-1.5lb so you're al good so far
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My weight loss history - I did VLCDs a few times - Cambridge Diet type things, and also used to go a bit mad, eat only one small meal a day for about a week but then binge on weekends, all this interspersed with me NOT dieting and eating way too much - carbs, big portions, too much alcohol.

It has been over 2 and a half years since I last did a faddy diet as it never did me any good and always led to me putting weight on afterwards so I'm really trying to do this right and sustainably now! x

VLCDs can set you up for Metabolic damage that makes it HARD to lose. But, if MFP says 1600 calories, then I would stick with that for now and just try to not go over.

If after a few weeks you still don't lose anything do some research on Metabolic Damage (meaning, you've done VLCDs for SOOOO long your body goes into Starvation mode and won't allow weight loss.)
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If for the most part you can stay within your 1600 throughout the week, then it seems you mostly need to re-evaluate your weekend "treats". My opinion is that its more then ok to allow a treat every now & then but do it in moderation. Things like choc and ice cream in particular are horribly high in calories, so either eat smaller portions or find a better substitute. Frozen yogurt for example is a great substitute for ice cream, esp from places like DQ. However most booze is also high in calories & that is where you are going over. I would eliminate it entirely & have it only for a treat ie: if you get in a great workout when you weren't feeling up for it.