İs there a natural weight?

Options
de1amo
de1amo Posts: 266 Member
İ am down to the target weight a dietrician set me at the beginning of my dieting--i was 80kg and she scanned me with her computer and it set 70kgs as my goal---its lean weight plus 17pc---i can acheive lower but as soon as i take my foot off the peddle i settle back to this 70kg weight and dont have trouble keeping it--is it my natural body weight and should i give up struggling downward for fear of loosing muscle in the process??

Replies

• SaraAnne
    SaraAnne Posts: 53
    Options
    i'm wondering the same thing. would love any thoughts ppl have :)
  • larsbeachgirl
    Options
    Add me to the curious list.... anyone.... anyone.....???
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, yes and no. depending on your lifestyle, eating habits, genetics, age, height, sex, and exercise preferences, your body will feel a specific amount of body fat is necessary. so in that sense yes, there is a "natural weight" your body feels is right. But again, that's largely influenced by factors outside your body, so its within your ability to modify those factors (change eating habits, exercise types and patterns, lifestyle choices) somewhat. What is harder to change is your muscle type. Some people genetically have more fast twitch muscle and some have more slow twitch (fast twitch are more power and speed muscles, slow twitch are more endurance muscles), which is why some people make better gymnists, and some make better marathon runners...etc. When you figure out which one you are (or somewhere in the middle more likely) then you can tailor your routines and lifestyle to benefit from them.
  • ElmFive10
    ElmFive10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have no scientific answer but I definitely believe this is true. And it's obviously different for everyone. The only weight I can comfortably maintain (without diet and exercise) is 155. If I want to get any lower than that I have to work out.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i am definately a marathon type--even paced and endurance--the only time i get lower than my 70kgs is by excessive gym work and not eating back the calories--the gym work is lots of cardio but not sprints. As soon as i stop that regime i go back to the natural weight and i am feeling all the hard work is a little pointless because i just retreat in resting periods--as a youngster i was never a sprinter just a plodder so i guess its just me- i held 70kgs for many years withoput problem