Looking for healthy not boring meals

Options
Eat well, and healthy could be pretty hard and expensive

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Or easy, inexpensive and fun. I am making this right now.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/02/curried-red-lentil-and-pumpkin-soup/

Check out other budgetbytes recipes as well.

Cook in bulk to save time and money.

Soups, stews and chillies are cheaper made from scratch.

Elevate the lowly legume in its many forms.

Buy sturdy vegetables like cabbage and carrots and buy frozen for everything else (peas, beans, edamame). Except tomatoes. Go ahead and get the canned tomatoes.

Next I am going to make home made protein bars at a fraction of the store price by making from scratch. I am basing my recipe on the puffed wheat square with extra protein powder.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Life is too short for bland, boring food. Herbs and spices are your friends, especially for turning a quick basic meal in to something a bit more tasty...
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Check out pinterest, they have a lot of recipes
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    miinanov wrote: »

Pintrest confuses the heck outta me.. I didn't give it MUCH time, but it's a tad confusing.
  • miinanov
    miinanov Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »
    miinanov wrote: »

Pintrest confuses the heck outta me.. I didn't give it MUCH time, but it's a tad confusing.

Lol I love it
  • Bovus2017
    Bovus2017 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Pork chops are cheaper than steaks and can be grilled and trimmed of fat for a quick easy meal. Sugar snap peas are a cheap and easy source of low glycemic carbs with fiber. And quick and easy chili can be made with lean ground beef (or the less expensive "fatty" ground beef drained of fat after cooking) with kidney beans, crushed tomatoes and chili powder.

If you're not lactose intolerant then skim milk is cheap and easy for high protein, low fat as is 1% milk fat cottage cheese (tastier than the non fat variety and with less sugar than non fat cottage cheese).

If you like fish then tilapia is inexpensive to buy and can be baked with a simple coating of low-sodium soy sauce, freshly grated ginger and pepper. Wrap it in foil and bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

I love cooking, eating, and working out so hit me up any time if you'd like any other tips/advice or even empathy. I've been eating on a budget for years and know how challenging it can be.
  • conor937
    conor937 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I recommend the hairy bikers diet cook books. If youre in the uk theyre available easily but if not you might get them on amazon as ebooks. They have good curries etc which are basically my staples lol
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I tend to rely on chili flakes to reduce the boring.
  • SmarteKanin
    SmarteKanin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon with lemon and sour cream, homemade mushed potatoes with only water, and salad with tomatoes in it and spice it up with lemon and sour cream, pepper, a tiny bit ketchup, olive oik and done :) I had it yesterday and loved it!
  • ecktor2017
    ecktor2017 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks l for the tips...
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Appetite For Reduction". It's vegan, but even if you aren't, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Oh and when she suggests certain side dishes for the mains? I've been happy every time I take her advice.