Does coffee count towards your water intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm a Registered Nurse.

When we do fluid balance anything that is liquid (including jelly/custard etc) counts as fluid in. All urine, vomit, faeces, drainage from wounds counts as fluid out.

Personally, based on my knowledge of how water in the body is influenced by solutes and hormonal secretion I keep in mind my overal fluid intake but I only count water as water intake.

I have a medical need to drink at least 3lt of actual WATER. If I don't meet this requirement I get very, very sick even if I have adequate 'fluid' intake from other sources.

This doesn't apply for everyone, obviously.

To find the correct about of water intake you need might be a bit of trial and error. If you're not thirsty, count the coffee - see how you feel.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    By that theory I can count coke as water. I only count water as water. Anything else I log as food
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    By that theory I can count coke as water. I only count water as water. Anything else I log as food

Yes, you can count Coke as water. You need to log it for calories, but it's fluid too.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't log liquids unless they have appreciable calories, so milk for example. I use the colour of my pee as my hydration barometer. My pee doesn't differentiate between water in coffee, veg, soda or water.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't actually log water any more. I used to and I included anything I drank except alcohol in my 10+ cups. Anything with appreciable calories I also logged as food. I got into the habit of drinking fluids frequently so I no longer log them but I am mindful of how much I drink over the course of the day.

Coffee counts. If you are concerned about the caffeine you get by drinking a full pot, maybe think about subbing decaf or only counting half of it towards a water goal.

Hydration is the goal, not how many cups you drink of plain water.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My understanding is that caffeine's role as a diuretic has been heavily overstated. A caffeine-naïve person dosing themselves with anhydrous caffeine pills, sure, some diuretic effect is seen. But for a regular coffee-drinker, coffee is adequately hydrating and whatever effect the caffeine has is more than offset by the volume of liquid being consumed.

Booze (alcohol), in contrast, is an effective diuretic in almost all forms it's consumed in.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    zorbaru wrote: »
    That's correct, you can. Any idea what ingredient comprises about 95% of a can of coke/soda?

(Hint: Water.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Diem78 wrote: »
    I don't consider coffee as water intake. But that's because it is such a diuretic for me. I literally pee like a fountain for 2 hrs after drinking 2 mugs of coffee in the morning.

That could be what the problem is for me.. When i drink tea and coffee, it goes in, and pretty much comes straight back out. It's all i drink from when get up (5am) till 12-1 in the afternoon, and i'm in the loo every 20 minutes or so, it could be normal for everyone else too, i dunno??