Distracting yourself from junk food.

Options
Since last month, I've tried to stick to 1600 Cal per day. Sometimes, still I have this impulsive feeling that I want to have junk food like chips or pizza. When you have that kind of feeling, how do you distract yourself from it?

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Mediate, exercise, read a book or watch a documentary. When I get "cravings" it's usually because I'm bored so I have to occupy my mind and/or body with other things.

Don't forget that things like that are okay in moderation, so you'll do fine in the long run as long as those junk foods aren't everyday
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I remind myelf what a nightmare it is to try to accurately log something like fast food, And i prefer to eat my larabars or bagels or something equally as yummy to me. Laziness is a great tool. Over time you find the "junk" foods you love that are actually beneficial, And youll turn to them. Till then just portion what you want smaller, Nothing wrong with eating it
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I look at my "fat" pics or come on here and scroll through the success stories. I remind myself that it was a gradual process falling off the wagon the last time all starting with "just a couple little reeses Peanut butter cups" and ending in denial my entire pregnancy resulting in gaining 50 lbs of fat on top of regular pregnancy gain. it only takes a few minutes for the craving to pass, or an entire week of readjusting my intake and exercise so I don't feel like all hope is lost and give up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do for cravings. (Since you're male, some will obviously not apply to you.)

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If it's during the week when my meals are planned and prepped, I just tell myself I don't really want or need it. If I really want something, I'll still want it on the weekend, and it gets worked in to my day- pizza, burgers and chips, pancake stacks, dessert, chocolates, sweets etc make regular appearances.

Im more picky these days... I go for good quality over generic...
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I work out if I can fit them into my calories. If yes, chips or pizza ahoy! If no, tomorrow is chips or pizza!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I make homemade pizza with flat out pizza crust 120 calories for the whole crust.

If we have friends family over I eat one or two slices with a side salad.

Potato chips are my weakness so I don't usually have them. When I do I either get a single serving or I invite family over so the whole bag gets eaten.

I don't deny myself anything but I do have different ways of moderating different foods.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Pizza is not junk food. How did you figure it was junk?
    I eat pizza about once a week or once a 10 days and the same goes for fries.
    Why would you randomly label food as junk?
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as little added sugar as possible. I've found that by cutting out, at the very least reducing, added sugar I have no real craving for the junk anymore. Also, I know that if i eat that stuff it will wreak havoc on my skin, and I'm a skincare freak so I generally will stay away from the sugary stuff.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have controlled portions of junk food. (And agree with posters saying pizza isn't.) I think it's like vaccinating myself with allowable doses to avoid constant bingeing. So instead of eating a large chocolate bar at one sitting, I'll have 3-4 Hershey's kisses. What I've stopped doing is mindless grazing/face-stuffing. I check the calories beforehand and ask myself if I think it's worth it. If the answer is 'yes', I eat.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I save room for my square of dark chocolate every night after dinner so i still feel like i get to eat a treat. Otherwise i get the heck away from the kitchen and just occupy myself with something else right after i drink a big glass of water. Often when you are munching a glass of water is enough as it is usually my sign im not drinking enough.
  • debbiehambrick
    debbiehambrick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First off, don't buy junk food. If it's not in the house you are way less tempted. If you are like me you can turn a not so bad food into an awful food because you eat too much. So portion it out when you get home from the grocery store. They make cool little snack baggies. IE. don't keep the reduced fat cheezits in the box, count out 29 crackers (yes I know the portion lol) and put them in a container. Do that until the whole box is portioned out (feed the few extras to the dog.)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I give in. Sometimes I find a viable substitute. Sometimes I eat a lot of something else that is low calorie so I can feel full.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    On days it fits, I eat it.

On days it doesn't, air popped popcorn and diet Coke. I only eat those on those occasions, hits salty and sweet and I feel enough indulged that it goes away.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I like whisky, vodka, wine.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Log the junk food and eat it. A few times of reaching your calorie limit early in the day will break you of wanting junk food.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Log the junk food and eat it. A few times of reaching your calorie limit early in the day will break you of wanting junk food.

Not necessarily true
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't resist the urge I would just eat them.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MrsSeager wrote: »
    I try to eat as little added sugar as possible. I've found that by cutting out, at the very least reducing, added sugar I have no real craving for the junk anymore. Also, I know that if i eat that stuff it will wreak havoc on my skin, and I'm a skincare freak so I generally will stay away from the sugary stuff.

How does this relate to OPs examples of chips and pizza? Neither are sugary foods...