Underactive thyroid help

Options
Anyone struggled to lose weight with having an underactive thyroid? And did it get better after given medication?
Not sure if I have thyroid problems got doctors booked but I have a lot of the symptoms
If I don't have any problems then I will be shocked and there must be something else wrong

Replies

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Once you're on the correct medication losing weight is the same as losing weight without hypothyroidism.

-43lbs and counting!
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just hope they find something wrong and can put me on meds asap! I feel awful and gaining weight rapidly
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    even if they say your blood work is normal ask them to consider putting you on a small dose - there is a HUGE range that constitutes normal (.5 to 4.5 in TSH) - I was normal for years but had hypo symptoms - took a doc finally listening to me - we keep my TSH low (right on the extreme low cusp and my T4 high)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    even if they say your blood work is normal ask them to consider putting you on a small dose - there is a HUGE range that constitutes normal (.5 to 4.5 in TSH) - I was normal for years but had hypo symptoms - took a doc finally listening to me - we keep my TSH low (right on the extreme low cusp and my T4 high)

No. Even a small dose -- ever notice how tiny even a full replacement dose is? -- can throw someone with a normal thyroid into the opposite situation, which has its own risks.

By all means ask for T3 and T4 to be checked separately if you have no confidence in the TSH number by itself, but experimentation with hormones just to see what they might do is asking for trouble.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would ask for free T3, free T4 and TSH. Free T's should be in the 50-75% range of the normal range and TSH should be very close to 1. Do net get T4, T3 or total T4 or total T3 - they aren't as useful. Those should give you an idea of how things are.

I have been able to lose with untreated hypothyroidism and treated hypothyroidism. What makes it hard for me is when my levels change. For instance, this fall my thyroid slowed again. It was a subtle change but I was a bit more tired, eating a bit more for energy and my metabolism slowed (body temp below 97 F again). I put on almost 10 lbs without much of a dietary change. Once I increased my meds, I started losing again.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I feel ever since I was sterilised and had my tubes clamped I've slowly got worse and feel rubbish and I've heard a few people say they've had thyroid problems after sterilisation
    Was ok for the first yr but I've gained 2 stone in a yr my periods have gone from spot on date and even time to being a week later every months for the last 5 months
    Really tired, hair breaking, nails splitting eyebrows really thin, grumpy all the time and very snappy, muscles in my foot legs and back and hands are really painful
    Because I want to see the best doctor the earliest appointment is on the 24th April
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please try to read into the situation for yourself, you mention your symptoms so you probably have been doing some research. You could try these sites, stop the thyroid madness, (STTM) some say it is pro natural thyroid treatments but it gives a good background to the problem. Being hypo will probably also mean having Hashimoto's thyroiditis where antibodies are formed and cause issues, not all doctors test for these and many do not see a reason to try to reduce them either. There are also national thyroid support sites, I've looked at several and they all give good information. The Hypothyroid Mom, (close up spaces) also gives a wealth of information, including a list of 300 possible symptoms. Some of us have more than others but nothing like the full list. (Big Relief) I've lived with being under informed for what felt like a life time. Those of us who have difficulty achieving a good diagnosis present with least often associated symptoms or ones regularly found with other conditions.

The prevalent treatment offered is t4 supplement, this can be very effective for some who's body is able to convert it into t3 the more active form, this requires minerals and vitamins which some of us lack because our digestive tracts are on a go slow. Much depends on how longstanding your issue is. T3 is sometimes offered to patients usually in combination with t4 this helps others who are fortunate to find someone who knows their subject. The other product is Natural Desiccated Thyroid, it is taken from animals (specially kept) and is a combination of t4 and t3, most modern doctors do not like this. It is said it is inconsistent but to fulfil the regulations it has to conform to their stipulations. European doctors are restricted if not actually prevented from using this product tough it was used widely and effetely in the early to mid 20th C. Many countries have their own prescribing issues too. Once you achieve a good form of treatment, what suits you, it is advisable not to change the brand because there can be different fillers or binders at very best which can change the effects. The NDT products are made with different amounts of hormone so it pays to read the very small print.

The treatment you need will/should, depend on the blood tests taken, t4, t3 in available forms, the tsh is usually taken and may be helpful but it takes someone with a real interest to get to the bottom of a persons issues properly. it can indicate the feedback loups of the TPA axis. Achieving a good level dose for you particularly, can take a while to achieve it will require repeat tests at intervals. We are all different with one umbrella condition.

If you can wade through information as it relates to you and your particular symptoms this will help you when you talk to your doctor. I have to confess my local (UK) doctor and endocrinologist have a totally different take to that of a Professor of Immunology I encountered so I wish you the best of good fortune. Take notes from what you have read and log the flow of your symptoms and probably take, print off your food log too. I wish you all the very best and hope you hit the jackpot first try. Thyroid conditions when/if your symptoms are out of the ordinary is not a good place to be, I'm so very sorry it is not always as simple as many seem to think. I'm of the opinion it does not help one (me) to be taken seriously if weight is seen as the only issue, usually by the doctors who repeatedly did not listen.
  • deannalfisher
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

No. Even a small dose -- ever notice how tiny even a full replacement dose is? -- can throw someone with a normal thyroid into the opposite situation, which has its own risks.

By all means ask for T3 and T4 to be checked separately if you have no confidence in the TSH number by itself, but experimentation with hormones just to see what they might do is asking for trouble.

Yes I do know and having undiagnosed hashimoto's then then thyroid cancer for several years because my blood work was 'normal' is why I say that

I have to wonder if I would be having the issues I have now and continue to have if someone had listened to me early on rather than just telling me I was fine because my lab work was 'normal'
  • ccsernica
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yes I do know and having undiagnosed hashimoto's then then thyroid cancer for several years because my blood work was 'normal' is why I say that

I have to wonder if I would be having the issues I have now and continue to have if someone had listened to me early on rather than just telling me I was fine because my lab work was 'normal'

Unless we're going to jump to the conclusion that OP has thyroid cancer, we still don't do this.

Sometimes the best a doctor can do in some kind of unusual presentation of symptoms is to say "I don't know." Which is why it took them over half a year to diagnose my shoulder injury correctly, for instance. That's just how it is sometimes.

What you're advocating here is for doctors to diagnose conditions by throwing drugs at them to see which ones work. That is exceptionally risky.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroxine for years, you can still lose when properly medicated
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have to work overtime to lose weight! I am losing, but it takes daily exercise and constant vigilance on my eating. I'm doing Mediterranean with absolutely no sugar or refined carbs and nothing fried. Today I lunched at my favorite Mexican restaurant. My friends had chips and that oh-so-good creamy dip. I bit the bullet and had no chips. I ordered a grilled chicken salad with oil/vinegar and no croutons and a side of beans. I drank unsweetened tea. I was so full I couldn't finish the lettuce! So losing weight is possible with hypothyroidism, but it takes more effort.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Unless we're going to jump to the conclusion that OP has thyroid cancer, we still don't do this.

Sometimes the best a doctor can do in some kind of unusual presentation of symptoms is to say "I don't know." Which is why it took them over half a year to diagnose my shoulder injury correctly, for instance. That's just how it is sometimes.

What you're advocating here is for doctors to diagnose conditions by throwing drugs at them to see which ones work. That is exceptionally risky.

I'm advocating that there is a huge range of normal for thyroid results and that just because blood work might be normal but not an individual person's normal
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    HaleCry wrote: »
    Once you're on the correct medication losing weight is the same as losing weight without hypothyroidism.

-43lbs and counting!

100+ pounds and counting. But the pills aren't magic. It takes time and patience to get the levels right. But you'll get there.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Heart arrhythmia! And then you take cold medicine with a decongestant (these raise blood pressure and heart rate) and end up in the hospital. Not fun! Thanks to my sister for the memories. :grimace:
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    See the doctor. Let them do a medical work up.

You don't even know if the issue is hypothyroidism yet. It's important not to self diagnose (guess) and get too invested in a particular diagnosis.

Wait and see what the doctor suggests.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just hope they find something wrong and can put me on meds asap! I feel awful and gaining weight rapidly

Why would you hope for something to be wrong?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

My guess is that they mean that they KNOW something is wrong and they hope that the problem can be discovered, and then corrected.
  • elphie754
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

My guess is that they mean that they KNOW something is wrong and they hope that the problem can be discovered, and then corrected.

I disagree.

To be blunt, it sounds like they want a reason (other than just over eating) for their weight gain; and want an easy way out instead of taking responsibility. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is how it is coming across to me.
  • elphie754
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I disagree.

To be blunt, it sounds like they want a reason (other than just over eating) for their weight gain; and want an easy way out instead of taking responsibility. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is how it is coming across to me.

Just to add: I would be much happier to learn that I was just overeating than being diagnosed with a serious medical condition. Can't imagine why someone would want the opposite.
  • ccsernica
    Options

I'm advocating that there is a huge range of normal for thyroid results and that just because blood work might be normal but not an individual person's normal

You're advocating diagnosis by pharmacy. What you claim to be "advocating" might be the case, but it's not a conclusion anyone can leap to without eliminating other possibilities first.