Anxiety and panic attacks

Options
Hey guys! In 2015 I was doing great losing weight until early 2016...I started getting anxiety attacks and since then my weight loss has suffered a lot every time I get hungry I get very anxious and I eat a lot when this happens because I get very desperate. (I also have pre-diabetes) I have gained weight again...I don't know what to do to get back on track Every time I try to go back at my diet I mess it up because of this. What should I do? Anyone going through this?

Replies

• ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you're having the anxiety attacks? It helps me to pinpoint why. Exercise keeps my anxiety in check and I'm seeing a counselor.
  • mayafit405
    mayafit405 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi @Suzuki4life7 :) I've dealt with similar issues. I would advise talking with your doctor about this. My anxiety used to get really bad right before I would eat a meal , due to my eating disorder. I found that talking to my therapist and creating more of a peaceful eating environment really helped me. A few years ago I also started doing 5-10 minute meditation sessions twice a day and this really has made a difference. The most important thing to remember is you're not messing up if you happen to slip up on your diet, you just have to get back up and keep trying <3 You can do this <3
  • elliehall101
    elliehall101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar-ish situation. For the past few months I've been battling very severe depression and anxiety. Whenever I felt sad, anxious, hopeless, or overwhelmed, I would eat anything and everyhing I could find. I knew I would hate myself later, but I continued to do it because it could help me take away the pain temporarily. Recently, though (as in the past week), I've eliminated gluten from my diet for two reasons. 1) Gluten can contribute to depression/anxiety in some people. 2) It was a terrible "trigger" food for me. Whenever I would eat it, I just wanted more and more and more. So far, I feel SO much better, and I'm hoping I can continue with this. I've also been doing more things to distract myself when I feel that sudden urge to binge; I've been going on walks, taking a shower, cleaning my room, drinking water/sparkling water/tea etc. Good luck!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The book Hardcore Self Help: F word Anxiety changed my life. I bought it 3 years ago on Amazon and I've only had 5 panic attacks since when before I was having them 2x a day.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety, and the past couple years I started to get anxiety attacks- the physical symptoms of anxiety- for me- have gone down since losing weight, mainly working out.. I'm more focused on my diet than my anxiety, it's like exercise is my body distracting itself from anxiety. I completely agree that you should seek a therapist if you haven't, but I know all my life I've been told by therapists that exercise and diet decrease your anxiety, just took time for me to listen. Try to exercise more, the better you feel in your body the more it will help reduce your anxiety.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Can't speak to any issues that might be triggering the attacks, but I find that, while I cannot control the triggers, keeping to a consistent, healthy lifestyle, helps keep me on a more even keel and reduces the frequency of the attacks. Unfortunately, reduces, not eliminates.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Having just spent half the day in semi-panic mode (it's like I can't get enough air; I'm sure you know the feeling) I sympathize. I suppose I'm fortunate in that food has never been a coping mechanism for me, so that's not what I immediately reach for, but the only thing for it is to attack the root cause. Therapy has reduced the incidence of this for me greatly. Hasn't eliminated it, but it's more like a weekly thing than daily now.
  • Suzuki4life7
    Suzuki4life7 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for sharing with me your stories I truly appreciate it. Thanks for the advice I am going to have in mind all that was said. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Not an easy battle to face. I totally realate to anxiety and panic attacks but don't eat in those situations. Firstly I'd find a psychologist that you can trust to learn about what causes the anxiety and techniques you can use to deal with it. Next I'd eliminate the ability to have those kinds of comfort foods at easy access. Snacking on carrot and celery sticks won't do the same damage to the waistline. Lastly look at doing something else rather than eating. Some sort of exercise works well for me. If things become too overwhelming I go for a walk. If I become really frustrated then a workout with resistance bands does wonders.yoga or pilates would also be great for self calming.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options

After kicking anxiety in my youth.. it came back last year... I have it under control and almost gone.. here is what worked for me.

1. to get fast relief.. lift something heavy. pick up a 25 pound bag of something and haul it or a piece of heavy furniture. lift weights. it works.

2. lavender, lemon, essential oils. especially lavender ... inhale .. and rub lavender oil mixed with a carrier oil into the soles of your feet and on your neck before sleep or anytime to unwind.

3. read info from the Calm Clinic ... change your food.. read the list of foods that help lessen anxiety and eat them

4. sleep is the best remedy..

5. look at your need for supplements .... b-12...L-theanine helps a lot too. epsom salt baths

6. stress in your life.. job? toxic relationship?
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    There is some really good advice here, but what's so nice to see is how supportive everyone has been to the OP. The interwebs can be a nasty place sometimes, but this goes to show it doesn't have to be.
    Lesson: you are not alone :-)
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This was helpful, thanks OP and others. I suffered my first set of panic attacks this past October because of excess stress in my life. Freaked me out! And I did turn to food a bit. Particularly ice cream. Man, I love ice cream. Anyway, back on track, back to calm. But these tips will help if these feelings ever creep back in. Thanks!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I am going to look for that "F work anxiety" book. We can never have too few tools in our arsenals!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    This was helpful, thanks OP and others. I suffered my first set of panic attacks this past October because of excess stress in my life. Freaked me out! And I did turn to food a bit. Particularly ice cream. Man, I love ice cream. Anyway, back on track, back to calm. But these tips will help if these feelings ever creep back in. Thanks!

My first full blown panic attack was terrifying! It hit me out of no where for no obvious reason when I was around 17 years old. I had never been so scared in all my life!
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Side note- essential oils are lovely and helped me a lot, but be careful using them if you have a cat! They can lead to liver failure / death around cats really easily if you're not careful.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety and panic attacks too and I absolutely self-medicated with food. I think exercise has helped me the most. Like, intense, challenging exercise where the only room in my head for thoughts is "don't die" or "don't fall off the treadmill." It burns my anxiety and adrenaline so much. And then those cardio endorphins flying help.

Yoga is the worst for me. All that meditating or time in head, or whatever it is, I do the opposite of whatever you are supposed to be doing. It's too much time in my head. I need to get outside of myself.

I started off very overweight and out of shape and never thought exercise would be something I could even do, let alone enjoy, but it's the best stress relief I have.

I also thing just being outdoors helps. A walk outside, maybe with headphones, your favorite music playing. Or with a friend or group. Activity, outdoors, social support - the very things I was avoiding or found almost impossible to make myself do have truly been my biggest anxiety burners.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,934 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! In 2015 I was doing great losing weight until early 2016...I started getting anxiety attacks and since then my weight loss has suffered a lot every time I get hungry I get very anxious and I eat a lot when this happens because I get very desperate. (I also have pre-diabetes) I have gained weight again...I don't know what to do to get back on track Every time I try to go back at my diet I mess it up because of this. What should I do? Anyone going through this?

I wonder if you are trying to lose weight too quickly and are getting too hungry between meals? How much weight do you want to lose total and what weekly weight loss goal do you use? Do you eat regular meals?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,934 Member
    Options
    After kicking anxiety in my youth.. it came back last year... I have it under control and almost gone.. here is what worked for me.

1. to get fast relief.. lift something heavy. pick up a 25 pound bag of something and haul it or a piece of heavy furniture. lift weights. it works.

2. lavender, lemon, essential oils. especially lavender ... inhale .. and rub lavender oil mixed with a carrier oil into the soles of your feet and on your neck before sleep or anytime to unwind.

3. read info from the Calm Clinic ... change your food.. read the list of foods that help lessen anxiety and eat them

4. sleep is the best remedy..

5. look at your need for supplements .... b-12...L-theanine helps a lot too. epsom salt baths

6. stress in your life.. job? toxic relationship?

Ya, regular exercise helps me with chronic anxiety and a quick burst of exercise helps with surprise onset anxiety.

I love the suggestion to move some furniture around - that's awesome and easy to schedule :)

Similarly, running up and down stairs might help. Or "get back ups":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things about anxiety is how isolating it can be so this thread is great, thank you Suzuki4life7 :smile: It seems to me that people can get anxious over almost anything some things lots of people can relate to, others not so much but its all very real and very limiting to the person suffering from it. I have had problems with anxiety and depression for around 20 years off and on, the worst bout of which im just recovering from which saw me stuck on anti depressants and beta blockers for around two years. The only advice i can give you other than the great advice others have already given is to take control of the anxiety, really own it and make it a priority. Anxiety is an indicator that something is out of balance in your life and it is your minds way of telling you that it isn't coping. For too many years work, relationships, friendships family etc all gave me excuses to not face my problems and guess what? it didn't go away it festered and some days when things were good it was ok but when things went bad I crumbled under the weight as i was already carrying this burden around all the time.
    • Talk to someone, this can be a counsellor/doctor/non judgmental friend or family member
    • Get organised, routine may seem dull but it really helps your mind. Wake, eat and sleep at regular times.
    • Check your diet for nasties, caffeine is not the friend of an anxious person nor is it good for sleep. if you do need caffeine in your life try to avoid it for 6 hours before you intend to sleep.
    • Exercise, this one was by far the worst for me lol I used to be moderately active when i was younger but now im anxious, older and way heavier, being active is hard! However now i am actually doing it I do feel the benefit and i am sleeping way better and feeling the desire for caffeine less and less and feeling way more relaxed. Everything needs to be maintainable for you so find something that you can fit into your day that isnt too difficult and start small! as you progress you will naturally want to add more.
    • Be kind to yourself, I see so many people on here beating themselves up about mistakes, bad days, etc. learn from whatever mistakes you make, understand that we all make mistakes and then try to get it right next time if you dont, just rinse and repeat :smile: