salad dressings

Options
I like to eat big salad bowls with plenty of different greens, vegetables and some protein in it and I always make my own vinaigrette from oil, vinegar and mustard. Because the salads are so voluminous, a vinaigrette with only 1 tablespoon of olive oil (shocked to find out that has 120 calories) just won't coat the whole thing. What besides water could I use to stretch the dressing? This almost makes me think that salads are not such a great way to reduce your calorie intake if most of the calories are in the dressing!

Replies

• AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Vinegar. Rice vinegar, Baslamic, red wine...If it's too strong you can water it down.

I usually skip the oil and use the calories for cheese or avocado, nuts and seeds instead.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've heard that before, but have hesitated to try it. Watered down with water it's probably okay, and maybe I'll increase the mustard part to make it more creamy. Thanks for reminding me of this, I might try it tomorrow!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I have no difficulty skipping the dressing altogether. Sometimes I think we do so much with vegetables now, it takes away the original benefit of eating them.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the spray olive oil similar to Pam? It is a great way to coat the leaves for less calories.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    Have you tried the spray olive oil similar to Pam? It is a great way to coat the leaves for less calories.

No, I hadn't thought of that! So far I've only used the spray for cooking.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options

I would have to try, but the thought of it is kind of weird. Then again, I guess we're just so used to certain things going together that it doesn't even occur to us that they don't have to. Well, when I make a salad tomorrow I'll try to eat it without dressing, and if it just doesn't want to go down my throat, I'll try a watered down dressing.
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Look for a yogurt based dressing usually found in the grocery store in the refrigerated produce section next to all the greens. Usually around 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. I personally love the taste of every one I have tried.
    Good luck
  • SueMangiaracina
    SueMangiaracina Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like to eat big salad bowls with plenty of different greens, vegetables and some protein in it and I always make my own vinaigrette from oil, vinegar and mustard. Because the salads are so voluminous, a vinaigrette with only 1 tablespoon of olive oil (shocked to find out that has 120 calories) just won't coat the whole thing. What besides water could I use to stretch the dressing? This almost makes me think that salads are not such a great way to reduce your calorie intake if most of the calories are in the dressing!

Definitely skip the oil. I like to smash 1/4 of avocado and use that to coat the salad greens before I add anything else. I also like to make "Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing" (Google it) which uses Walnuts as the fat source. It has such a strong flavor you will only have to use a very small amount. Walnuts have nutrients that are beneficial and this healthy fat source helps you absorb some of the vitamins from your salad because vitamins A, D, E, K require the presence of fats to be absorbed.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I use Walden Farms calorie free salad dressings. Have you tried?
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    I love my own vinaigrette and haven't really tried any bottled salad dressings, except for what you get when you eat out. The walnut vinaigrette sounds great, walnuts are my favourite nuts anyway!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mix a small amount of oil with a lot of red wine vinegar. To eliminate the bitterness of the vinegar add sweet and low to taste.
    I add some Italian spices or some good seasons dressing mix to spice it up a bit. You will need to shake the
    hell out of it since it does not mix well due to the minimal amount of oil.
    Overall it's under 15 cals a serving. Feel free to use it in quantity on your big salad.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Blender up some fruits ! FANTASTIC DRESSING !
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    Thanks for both of your suggestions! What fruit would you blend up as dressing, something with a lot of juice like citrus?
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Salsa makes a nice dressing too
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I coat giant salads in mixing bowls with half a tablespoon of oil.

I prefer hot sauce. No calories.
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The yogurt dressings are great. I find if I have cottage cheese in my salad I don't miss dressing at all. Adds protein too, win/win.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I like to blender Mango blueberries sometimes...or mangoes,red bell pepper,and dates.Or just plain lemons with some sunflower seeds..
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Blend up some roasted red peppers, tomato, basil.. so delicious. Or mashed avocado!
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    Options
    I made a dressing today with my usual mustard, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper, so basically my vinaigrette without the oil, and a little water to make it go further, and it wasn't that bad. Will keep experimenting with the suggestions made here. Thanks!
  • ated217
    ated217 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been on a banana pepper kick lately, I'll just pour a little of the juice on my salad from the peppers. It is amazing. I used to be one that always went heavy on the dressing until I tried this, not anymore.