C25k treadmill question

Options
Hey all
I'm 100 pounds overweight and about to start the c25k on the treadmill. Was wondering if someone could suggest a good speed to do the walk and run at
Thanx in advance

Replies

• yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.0 and run at 4.5. If you can't breathe comfortably out of just your nose, slow down.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanx will just play around with the speeds so I feel comfortable
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Maybe I have small nasal passages, but when I run I can never breathe comfortably out of just my nose. The real question is what pace can you maintain for the required time. Even 4.0 is fine for a very slow jog, if that's what you can do.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am 5'4", and was 227 when I first started C25k. I think I was "running" @ 2.3 mph & probably walked @ 2.5-3.0, lol. Even now I only run around 4.0-4.2, & that's awesome, for me. My goal (a few years ago) was to be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping, and/or 1 mile, while not getting injured!
    Just start really slow, and you will find a pace that you can finish the run intervals at each session. The goal is finish each session (3 per week)if you can, not how fast!! You might want/need to repeat sessions or whole weeks, & that's ok :-)
    If you haven't jogged in many years, your mind & body will fight you, but you are making the decisions :-)
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanx for the advice. Will see how I go with the speeds :smile:
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    KloBlo85 wrote: »
    Thanx will just play around with the speeds so I feel comfortable

That's what I did. Good luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past year. I started with a class of 20 that included a wide range of participants. Only two of us finished.

The first thing I can say about running is: running is hard! It is hard to do and hard on your joints. I can also say that you can be in great shape without running. I've exercised for years but only started running in the past year (I am 55). I still struggle with soreness from running after a year.

So: Don't try to rush into running before you have laid the groundwork. There's a real chance of injury that could sideline you for a while. I would suggest that you be able to walk a 5K at a 4MPH pace before you start to run.

You can use the C25K APP to lead you in walking slow/fast intervals just as well as walk/run intervals. You can make things harder by adding an incline. You can take days off when you get sore and do something else (if you're at a gym, try the elliptical). Once you have a solid 4MPH walking speed for the whole 5K, you're ready for running.

Take your time: the program is intended to allow you to repeat a workout as many times as necessary to master it. I think this is a good guide for both slow/fast walking intervals and for walk/run intervals. It really took me 6 months to be comfortable running a 5K starting from being a fairly strong walker.

Good luck and have a blast!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,101 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past year. I started with a class of 20 that included a wide range of participants. Only two of us finished.

The first thing I can say about running is: running is hard! It is hard to do and hard on your joints. I can also say that you can be in great shape without running. I've exercised for years but only started running in the past year (I am 55). I still struggle with soreness from running after a year.

So: Don't try to rush into running before you have laid the groundwork. There's a real chance of injury that could sideline you for a while. I would suggest that you be able to walk a 5K at a 4MPH pace before you start to run.

You can use the C25K APP to lead you in walking slow/fast intervals just as well as walk/run intervals. You can make things harder by adding an incline. You can take days off when you get sore and do something else (if you're at a gym, try the elliptical). Once you have a solid 4MPH walking speed for the whole 5K, you're ready for running.

Take your time: the program is intended to allow you to repeat a workout as many times as necessary to master it. I think this is a good guide for both slow/fast walking intervals and for walk/run intervals. It really took me 6 months to be comfortable running a 5K starting from being a fairly strong walker.

Good luck and have a blast!

I totally agree with this! I'm 56 and been running for 3 years at 4 - 4.5 mph. Sometimes I can't because of my legs and I'm in good shape. Plus, I only run 4 times a week, :)