Rowing newbie

Options
fiddletime
fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
I bought a water rower today by First Degree. Since I can't jog anymore due to foot issues I got a stationary bike two years ago and ride for 35 min 4 days a week and do some dumb bell weights.

I'm 62 and 5'2". I've always worked out and am in good shape and health. Are there any "must do's" to rowing? I had them check my rowing form in the store and the said it looked good. I'll get the rower in about a week. Thanks for any tips.

(I got it to add to my biking and to get a more "whole body" workout).

Replies

• davidsnewsham
    davidsnewsham Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    As an ex rower I might be able to help you. The rowing form is performed incorrectly a lot by many and when I first started I was one. A lot of people tend to use mostly arms whereas its mostly legs with a little arm. Its hard to explain the actual technique so I would suggest finding a local rowing club and getting them to go through the correct form.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Ok. I think I'm doing that. Thanks!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a really good tutorial on the Concept2 web site.
    In fact the whole site is worth looking through.

Rowing isn't full body by the way - there's no upper body push for example.
    Chuck in some abs work and push ups and you have a pretty good all round workout.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Chuck in some abs work and push ups and you have a pretty good all round workout.

And Concept 2's info is valid for Water Rower, until you get down to very specifics about the machine (like how to set the monitor).

Start here: concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training

Watch the technique videos.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

After a warm up, I row hard for two minutes (500+ meters) and then do 10 6 count burpees ( the ones with a push up in the middle and a jump at the end) three times, resting one minute after each burpee set. I finish with a 10 minute cool down row.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Good video. Thanks for the link. I tried the concept2 and liked it, but needed to store it upright easily in my living room so went with the water rower. I figured push ups or weights would be required as I didn't see how rowing would strengthen the same as a pushing exercise. I'm really looking forward to getting my machine!