Why do people lie about the calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    People who create foods and when you click on it, there is no fat, carbs, or protein in it :s
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Another error is people (rightly) will enter the calories for 100g but the serving is actually 125g and so you have to enter 1.25 as your consumed amount. I expect that also trips people up.

I am still irrationally bugged by so much cups talk on the forum and in the database entries.

The ice cream in Newfoundland/Labrador only has 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. I've yet to find a grams weight for ice cream that is consistent across all brands and flavours.

OT: just correct the entry with the current info.

Oh they do that here too mostly but just with mls because cups aren't used ever. I don't understand, am I supposed to melt the ice cream in order to get a correct serving (sarcastic).

I bought a #8 food scoop just for ice cream.

A what now?

A disher scoop AKA an ice cream scoop actually comes in over a dozen sizes. Each size has a corresponding number. A #8 scoop equals 4oz/.5cup/118ml.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Another error is people (rightly) will enter the calories for 100g but the serving is actually 125g and so you have to enter 1.25 as your consumed amount. I expect that also trips people up.

I am still irrationally bugged by so much cups talk on the forum and in the database entries.

The ice cream in Newfoundland/Labrador only has 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. I've yet to find a grams weight for ice cream that is consistent across all brands and flavours.

Oh they do that here too mostly but just with mls because cups aren't used ever. I don't understand, am I supposed to melt the ice cream in order to get a correct serving (sarcastic).

A what now?

A disher scoop AKA an ice cream scoop actually comes in over a dozen sizes. Each size has a corresponding number. A #8 scoop equals 4oz/.5cup/118ml.

I just weight the ice cream in grams. Lots of serving sizes has cups as well as grams or fl oz in weight so it's just easier buying a kitchen scale so you're not guessing. As far as the database is concerned, I look until I find an entry that lets me put in weight vs. cups. Sometime you'll find entries that will always say "1/2 cup" even though you changed the weight. One example is my oatmeal I eat for breakfast.. I can put in a measurement of 1 kilo, but it will still say 1/2 cup even though the calories and nutrition change. LOL
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

A what now?

I just weight the ice cream in grams. Lots of serving sizes has cups as well as grams or fl oz in weight so it's just easier buying a kitchen scale so you're not guessing

Not sure why you quoted me. I was merely answering VintageFeline's question regarding food scoops.

However, in regards to your comment, if you scroll back some you'll see one example where the ice cream container has only 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. How do they weigh that one in grams?
  • Flaming25
    Flaming25 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    After reading this I realised that a lot of my measurements are rough conversions from what others have submitted. I will now scan all of my ingredients and add them to the database and put them into measurements that I use...which is grams :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    It may have been 100 calories previously, or in another area of the country.

Or in another country. Australian food items are often quite different from US food items.

• Wynterbourne
    Options
    Flaming25 wrote: »
    After reading this I realised that a lot of my measurements are rough conversions from what others have submitted. I will now scan all of my ingredients and add them to the database and put them into measurements that I use...which is grams :)

I just edit the existing entries from cups, ounces, etc to grams.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Flaming25 wrote: »

I just edit the existing entries from cups, ounces, etc to grams.

1. I choose the Australian items which are in grams.

Or ...

2. I change it to grams, as you have mentioned.

If it doesn't come in grams, I find one that does.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

A what now?

I just weight the ice cream in grams. Lots of serving sizes has cups as well as grams or fl oz in weight so it's just easier buying a kitchen scale so you're not guessing. As far as the database is concerned, I look until I find an entry that lets me put in weight vs. cups. Sometime you'll find entries that will always say "1/2 cup" even though you changed the weight. One example is my oatmeal I eat for breakfast.. I can put in a measurement of 1 kilo, but it will still say 1/2 cup even though the calories and nutrition change. LOL

Not to beat this one but you'll see I use a food scale, cups aren't even a measure listed here in the UK. The issue is with the weirdness that is a lot of ice cream only listing the mls. So there is no grams serving listing. Weighing 100g isn't the equivalent of 100mls. So some messing about needs to be done. Though I don't eat much ice cream so it's not too big a deal for me personally.

A what now?

But isn't that as inaccurate as a cup? My scoop could be more generous than your scoop so the old cups/volume being inappropriate for solids stands?

And yes, I'm dwelling on this too much!
  • EllaLeahB
    EllaLeahB Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think what probably happened also is that they put the serving size but put about approximate how many calories they ate.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options

A what now?

I just weight the ice cream in grams. Lots of serving sizes has cups as well as grams or fl oz in weight so it's just easier buying a kitchen scale so you're not guessing

Not sure why you quoted me. I was merely answering VintageFeline's question regarding food scoops.

However, in regards to your comment, if you scroll back some you'll see one example where the ice cream container has only 1/2 cup and 125 mL measurements listed. How do they weigh that one in grams?
    Couldn't tell ya. The ice cream I buy has the servings listed in grams, so I guess it's by the brand.
  • denee05
    denee05 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow my head is spinning after reading these responses. So many different measurements and I didn't even think about different locations having different serving sizes.

One quick question...what is the green icon for? It looks like a little arrow next to some of the foods.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    denee05 wrote: »
    Wow my head is spinning after reading these responses. So many different measurements and I didn't even think about different locations having different serving sizes.

One quick question...what is the green icon for? It looks like a little arrow next to some of the foods.

It's supposed to tell you the food is verified, but you have to be careful - you still have the same issue of the same product having different calories and macros in different places, and the algorithm which verifies the food can be tricked, resulting in some clearly wrong items receiving a check mark.
  • Machka9
    Options

Different locations also have slightly different ingredients.

100 grams of something you'd purchase in the US might have different calories than 100 grams of something you'd purchase in Canada, the UK, or Australia.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If I can scan a barcode I'll do that. Otherwise I search with "usda" if I'm logging a whole food. I know there is a difference between some Canadian and some American entries too, so I'm careful to check the package and make sure what I'm logging is consistent with the nutritional label. I don't think people lie on purpose but I remember my first days and how unaware I was that the body would keep an accurate journal regardless of the entry I chose LOL. This is how people "don't lose on 1200" just be mindful :)
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    On my blue bunny frozen yogurt it says 140 calories for half a cup. On here it says 100 calories. I find errors like this often. Why does this happen?

Invariably these are the people that say, "HELP...I'm eating at a deficit BUT not loosing weight."

Yes I misspelled losing intentionally.