Pushups elbows in or out

Options
What is the difference and what is the correct way of doing this. I feel that in is easier and out puts more stress on my wrist. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Doing push-ups with different hand/arm positions will work different parts of your chest, back, shoulders and arms. You will work your core with all hand/arm positions during the various types of push-ups in proper form. For proper form your head/neck should be straight and in alignment, shoulders and back stable, hips and torso straight (not sagging), hands below plane of shoulders, pressure of the weight should be on the outside of your hands, not the bottom of your hand/wrist (which can cause wrist pain and over use injuries to the wrists). Use a full range of motion and come within an inch of the ground or even slightly graze the ground with your chest (as long as the full range does not hurt your shoulders). Use a controlled tempo for both movements- up and down. Use of push up bars may help with wrist issues.
  • GaveYouPower
    GaveYouPower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Elbows in my friend. Never flare your elbows out while doing chest exercises or you'll be heading to snap city.
  • denato1
    denato1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Elbows on a 45 degree from your torso is standard for a pushup. Along the torso will work triceps more and less chest.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do both, in hits triceps more and is harder. If your wrists bother you , grab two dumbbells and use them to hold so your wrists aren't flat on the floor. You can also put your hands on a those small slam balls, or hold the sides of an upside down bosu ball. thats just some fun variations to save your wrists and add some instability.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Do not flare your elbows. Your arms/body when viewed from above should look like an arrow, not a T. You can tuck them completely in by your sides, but that increases difficulty. Definitely avoid flaring though.