Stupid question...calibrating food scale

Options
I acquired a food scale off Wish and my husband adv me it was pretty much useless unless I calibrate it. Is this truly necessary or can I pop batteries in the thing and just use it?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Just about every digital food scale self-calibrates when you turn it on. It should register 0 after to you start it.

You'll also have a tare button to set it to zero when you already have something on the scale such as a dish, so you can weigh an item, tare the scale, and add another item.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's useless. You could check the calibration by weighing careful measurements of water. 1 fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce, and one ml of water weighs one gram.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I acquired a food scale off Wish and my husband adv me it was pretty much useless unless I calibrate it. Is this truly necessary or can I pop batteries in the thing and just use it?

With any scale, the first time I use it after moving it or replacing batteries (or buying new) I turn it on, weigh something, then take it off and let it turn itself off. This gives it a chance to calibrate itself.

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US you can test it using nickels. One US nickel weighs 5g, 10 nickels weigh 50g.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Honestly with what you are using it for it doesn't need to be all that accurate. Weigh something of known quantity so you can make sure it is in the right ballpark and then don't worry about it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you were using it for commerce it would have to be calibrated occasionally, but most kitchen scales are factory calibrated and there is no means for you to calibrate it.