How to increase strength for Powerlifting

Options
Hello, I am relatively new to lifting, and want to enter into strongman/powerlifting competitions next year.

I'm currently 5'7", 172 lbs (overweight BMI - I don't know what my bf% is right now, but I am over fat, I know that), female. I've been doing SL 5x5 for about a month, and am currently squatting 65 lbs, bench pressing 70 lbs, deadlifting 125 lbs, ohp 50 lbs, and barbel row is at 75 lbs.

I understand that I will be winning or even qualifying for any competitions at these weights, however I have stalled out over the past couple of weeks, so I am going to switch to a more powerlifting focused program.

So my question is this: I am currently eating around 1650 calories per day. Am I still in the realm of "newbie gains" or should I consider doing a bulk/cut cycle in order to see more strength? I want to get stronger in order to compete, but I also want to lower my body fat % over time. I know that these two goals aren't super easy to achieve at the same time... but yeah.

For reference - I work at a desk job, I go to the gym to lift 3x a week. I don't do much for cardio outside of rowing. I go rock climbing/bouldering once or twice a week. I try to follow my macro split, but have been falling short on my protein a lot (I like carbs, and fat...). I use creatine, protein powder and bcaa's on my lifting days, but not any other time.

Any advice or pointing in the general direction of good resources would be a welcome thing. Thanks!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Is your squat weight a typo? 65 or 165?

Keep doing the Stronglifts program. I do not think you maxed out on newbie gains after a month. They usually max out at a year or so.

Are you in a deficit? If so, how big? Try lowering your deficit to 250 cals a day and keep lifting. You will continue to lose fat but may have more energy for lifts. Keep up the protein intake.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

Keep doing the Stronglifts program. I do not think you maxed out on newbie gains after a month. They usually max out at a year or so.

Are you in a deficit? If so, how big? Try lowering your deficit to 250 cals a day and keep lifting. You will continue to lose fat but may have more energy for lifts. Keep up the protein intake.

It's not a typo :( I've been getting pain in my hips/glutes after I squat, so I haven't been able to put on as much weight on the bar.

My TDEE with working out 3x per week is around 1910. So I'm close to 250 when I eat around 1650. Some days it's a bit less, others a bit more. I've been losing weight slowly, maybe 1-2 lbs this past month.

I like StrongLifts. Perhaps it would be better to buy a couple of sessions with a trainer to check my form, etc. than to change programs entirely right now.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

It's not a typo :( I've been getting pain in my hips/glutes after I squat, so I haven't been able to put on as much weight on the bar.

My TDEE with working out 3x per week is around 1910. So I'm close to 250 when I eat around 1650. Some days it's a bit less, others a bit more. I've been losing weight slowly, maybe 1-2 lbs this past month.

I like StrongLifts. Perhaps it would be better to buy a couple of sessions with a trainer to check my form, etc. than to change programs entirely right now.

You should try some stretches to work on your hip mobility.

I like doing the pigeon pose to stretch out my hips before squatting.

A trainer may help as well if you have the money.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    A month isn't really long enough. Keep up with the Stronglifts, but maybe add some glute-focused exercises. I added glute bridges to one workout, hip thrusts to the other because I felt my glutes were week. Those exercises have helped increase my glute strength, which has helped my squat. Also try some stretches and have someone check your form.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am going to switch to a more powerlifting focused program.

If you stalled out a month into on a novice program, your form needs work.

A powerlifting program is not the answer. Either buy the Starting Strength book and educate yourself on how to lift correctly or hire someone capable of coaching you. Either way you need to build your strength base and that will be using a novice LP program like Starting Strength or Strong lifts which is just a rip off of SS. In general this will take you 3-9 months to reach a point where you can no longer progress after 1-2 resets..

Am I still in the realm of "newbie gains" or should I consider doing a bulk/cut cycle in order to see more strength?

Yes, plenty of noob strength. If you are eating in a surplus, you will have a much longer run.

I use creatine, protein powder and bcaa's on my lifting days, but not any other time.

Creatine should be taken daily otherwise its pretty useless. BCAAs are unnecessary if you are getting adequate protein. If you fix your protein intake, you can stop buying it
    I've been getting pain in my hips/glutes after I squat, so I haven't been able to put on as much weight on the bar.

This more than likely is your form or possibly but unlikely DOMS.

Stretching and/or mobilty is unnecessary before lifting. Stretching afterwards can have some benefits if injured. You'll get all the stretching/mobility you need with weight on your back in your warm up sets. Main focus should be proper form.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I am going to switch to a more powerlifting focused program.

If you stalled out a month into on a novice program, your form needs work.

A powerlifting program is not the answer. Either buy the Starting Strength book and educate yourself on how to lift correctly or hire someone capable of coaching you. Either way you need to build your strength base and that will be using a novice LP program like Starting Strength or Strong lifts which is just a rip off of SS. In general this will take you 3-9 months to reach a point where you can no longer progress after 1-2 resets..

Am I still in the realm of "newbie gains" or should I consider doing a bulk/cut cycle in order to see more strength?

Yes, plenty of noob strength. If you are eating in a surplus, you will have a much longer run.

I use creatine, protein powder and bcaa's on my lifting days, but not any other time.

Creatine should be taken daily otherwise its pretty useless. BCAAs are unnecessary if you are getting adequate protein. If you fix your protein intake, you can stop buying it
    I've been getting pain in my hips/glutes after I squat, so I haven't been able to put on as much weight on the bar.

This more than likely is your form or possibly but unlikely DOMS.

Stretching and/or mobilty is unnecessary before lifting. Stretching afterwards can have some benefits if injured. You'll get all the stretching/mobility you need with weight on your back in your warm up sets. Main focus should be proper form.

all this
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting someone qualified to check your form. I worked Stronglifts for about 14 months before switching to a more advanced program.