Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Losing weight on vacation (when trying less)

Does anybody else experience weight loss on vacation?

When I go on holiday I stop logging, I stop the brutal workouts and I eat what I feel like and how much I feel like eating. I eat more junk food and more chocolate, but I eat less of it, I just eat untill I'm kind of satisfied as opposed to at home where I tend to binge beyond fullness.
Also I'm much more relaxed obviously and I sleep better.
Anybody else see this? That you lose more weight when you stop stressing about losing weight?

Just hoping that my best approach to weight loss is to treat every day like I'm on a vacation in the Caribbean lol :wink: :smiley:

Replies

• oliviaguerrero01
    oliviaguerrero01 Posts: 35 Member
    Yes! Focus on what your body is telling you and you'll be sure to lose weight and still feel good :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Most likely a combination of three things:

1) You're not retaining as much water/glycogen in your muscles because you're not working out.

2) You're not binging and you're eating less, so your calorie intake is lower.

3) Stress levels go down, which lowers cortisol. Cortisol causes (among other things) water retention.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    I bet you were less spot active but more overall active
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    I have noticed this. I always lose weight on vacation, even though I eat whatever I want, large meals, dessert every day, ice cream and soda every time I want it. I'm not moving more either. I had observed it for years, but I still believed I had to take special care when going on vacation. It suddenly made sense. Vacation eating is normal eating:
    Eating is centered around meals and not used to pass time.
    I choose foods I want to eat, not foods that are supposedly "healthy". "Healthy eating" doesn't even cross my mind.
    I want to make the most of every day, so I choose foods that I know will keep me energized until next meal.
    I will forgo foods I don't want and avoid places I don't want to eat, and wait until I can have something I want and sit down somewhere nice.
    I am busy exploring, and eating when not hungry is just an annoyance.
    Food is an integral part of the experience, and I enjoy it without shame, guilt or fear.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I just got back from a 7 day eat whatever I want and however much I want vacation. Although I didn't lose weight, I sure didn't gain much and it might just have been a normal fluctuation anyways (up .8 lbs). My daily steps were about 7500 a day and i didn't do any intentional exercise. It's usually like this for me when I go on vacations, except I normally get more exercise.