Have you lost 70lbs or more without a gym

Options

Replies

• gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've lost my weight mostly with walking as my exercise. I'm considering joining a gym now because I'd like to start lifting and swimming. But it can totally be done with just eating less and staying active. Good Luck!
    :smile:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Inspiring stories here, folks! I have lost 43 so far, aiming to lose 78 total, and without a gym. Started with just walking--I also like to hike a lot. But then needed more intensity, so I bought DVDs, starting with one of Sansone's walking DVDs, more recently moving up to somewhat more intensity. I take a yoga class at the local rec center.

You need to invest a little in your non-gym workout routine. A good pedometer at least, some weights and/or exercise bands, some DVDs, maybe a ilttleyoga mat that can double as an exercuse mat. In my town, the gym costs $65 a month and it's at least a half-hour drive to any of the nearest out-of-town ones. That's $8 per trip in gasoline! For that $65, I was able to buy quite a bit of stuff to help me get going.

My only concern, and I wonder if anyone can answer this, is that I keep reading about the benefits of lifting --real lifting, not five-pound hand weights. This strikes me as something that involves some serious equipment, but even more, requires proper instruction in form and movement to gain benefit and avoid injury. I wouldn't know what to buy for this, or how to go about this safely, and if anyone has ideas on that--a really good DVD, equipment--that could be a useful addition to the at-hpome mi for all of us.
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I know it's not 70 lbs but I have very successfully lost 41 lbs since Jan. 21, 2013. I DO NOT have a gym membership. I go for walks/bike rides with my husband and kids. I love Jillian Michaels!! I have your "Ripped in 30" DVD. I love it, do it every day. I also use my husbands free weights sometime. It is totally doable! Good luck! I wish you all the best! :flowerforyou:
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 so far, and my at-home workouts are led by Fitnessblender.com.

Free, online, full length workouts of every variety. Its done by a husband and wife, and they are completely awesome! They accept donations.

Wow, I just looked at these. They're great! Uneblievable to have such a thing free. I'll try it out for a couple of weeks and start sending donations!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 40 lbs so far (hoping to lose 70 at the end). I've only worked out at home and it's been good for me. I personally hate going to the gym so I invested in some good exercise equipment and can workout in the comfort of my own home whenever I want to.

I have a treadmill, bike, elliptical, free weights and a Bowflex home gym.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    :)
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am at 63lbs lost, 82 more to go but I've done it all from home. We did get an elliptical & used that alot in the beginning, I also did the -Just Dance 4 workouts regularly. When the weather got good I started walking & now aim to walk 5kms a few times a week. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't but I've never stepped foot in a gym. Its def possible Good luck!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am thinking of working out at home rather than a gym to save money. Has anyone had success with working out at home and lost 70lbs or more that way? I am 5'6 and 215lbs and 25 years old. I would like to lose 70lbs. I am a little worried that if I workout at home I won't lose as much as I would at a gym.

I have two 8lb weights and a fitness band and a bicycle. I am not sure what kind of workouts to do yet but I do have a Jillian Michaels Revolution DVD set that I haven't tried yet and I could do that.

Thoughts and/or success pics from losing weight with no gym?

Thanks!!

I've done it before. I have a weight bench at home.
    I've living somewhere smaller now though and I have no room to set it up. That's the only reason I belong to a gym now.
  • a803ago
    a803ago Posts: 1
    Options
    I've lost 71lbs from doing nothing but calorie counting, 1500 a day over a year.

no gym and not eating fruit and not much veg, taking mutlivitimins instead.

i'm 5ft9 and currently 178lbs, I was 249lbs and want lose at least another 10lbs.

to be honest its not been that hard but what I eat is very boring and its near enough the same thing everyday.

can thank the fitnesspal app enough!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've lost well over 40lbs without going to a gym. I bought eight dumbells (various weights), a kettlebell, push up bars and a curling bar. I've lost over 40 pounds since early April. I do a lot of cardio as well. A gym membership would be nice, though you can do a lot without it.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am at 63lbs lost, 82 more to go but I've done it all from home. We did get an elliptical & used that alot in the beginning, I also did the -Just Dance 4 workouts regularly. When the weather got good I started walking & now aim to walk 5kms a few times a week. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't but I've never stepped foot in a gym. Its def possible Good luck!

Impressive - good work. I love the elliptical as well.
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have lost 57 lbs and have never been a member of a gym! I don't really have any workout equipment except a couple of 3 lb weights. I usually walk/run in my yard! When it rains I usually find a video on YouTube to do! There are tons of workouts on YouTube .it is a pretty awesome resource.
  • Sil_76
    Sil_76 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have lost 131 lbs and have never stepped foot inside a gym. I workout using workout DVD's like 30 day shred, Slim in 6, Insanity, power 90 and recently got Focus T25 but am not allowed to start that till August 5th.

2n21ir4.jpg
    [/quote

Insane...wow you give me hope!!! Congrats
  • aalicia88
    aalicia88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've lost 84 pounds so far without going to a gym. First I started with walking. Me and my husband would go to a trail and walk a few miles sometimes I would jog too. Then I started using a workout I used in high school that I was comfortable with. It was something I had done before so I knew I could do it and get a good workout. It's called Total body sculpt with Gilad. He had a tv show on one of the fitness channels so I would do those workouts back then. I don't know what happened to that channel anymore so I bought the dvd on Amazon. Once I felt like I needed more of a challenge, I bought the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd. Then after that I moved on to The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt dvd and now I'm doing Jillian Michaels no more trouble zones.

I think started off with something you're comfortable with is good then keep switching it up. Once I started seeing results, I wanted more of a challenge so I kept trying new things.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i couldn't get up enough motivation working out at home. i feed off of the energy of others at the gym... but that's just me!
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it without a gym.

I'm down 76.5lbs (to be updated tonight, lol) and I've never been in the gym throughout that weight loss, and it's only in the last few weeks have I even starting any sort of excercise where I've done 30DS a couple of times a week. I'm starting the gym this week as I feel it's time to start before I end of with a load of saggy bits, lol, and it gives me access to swim too......

The only thing you really need to reach your goal is motivation to keep going with whatever you feel works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've not stepped into a Gym thus far and have lost 56kgs (100lbs +) just by eating right and exercising outside. I have a 5kg/11lb free weights I use for some weight work, but beyond that just a good pair of running shoes! Can be done if you're willing :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to a gym. I've used fitness games for both Xbox Kinect and Wii. I also go on a lot of walks around town and occasionally do Zombies,Run 5k training (need to work on my consistency with this).

Here are my most recent progress pictures:
    e9tfde.jpg
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am thinking of working out at home rather than a gym to save money. Has anyone had success with working out at home and lost 70lbs or more that way? I am 5'6 and 215lbs and 25 years old. I would like to lose 70lbs. I am a little worried that if I workout at home I won't lose as much as I would at a gym.

I have two 8lb weights and a fitness band and a bicycle. I am not sure what kind of workouts to do yet but I do have a Jillian Michaels Revolution DVD set that I haven't tried yet and I could do that.

Thoughts and/or success pics from losing weight with no gym?

Thanks!!
    I have lost 70 lbs., 60 of them without even really exercising much at all. Weight loss is much more predicated on eating less calories than you burn. Not to say exercise isn't important, and isn't helpful, but in my opinion, it is much easier to eat 100 less calories than it is to burn 100 extra. Bottom line, yes, you can lose the weight without the gym.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep lost all my weight before I even stepped foot in a gym. Didnt lose a thing once there. You don't NEED a gym at all. Nobody does really. You can lose weight, tone up & get fit all without it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!