2»

Replies

• ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    OP, may I ask why you ask? As in...what makes you think it would not be okay?
    Hmm, because many of dieters avoid sugar and im bothered if i do some of it i can ruine my diet :) im asking anything here coz people on mfp are kind and generous towards their answers! Btw thanks for asking though

I was just curious that's all. I guess there are many myths in mainstream dieting. I wonder if people actually know WHY they are told not to consume something.
    Agree ☺, at first time that im in a diet i believe that those mythologies about dieting is true but in the long run i find out that everything is ok in moderation especially those calorie dense foods ☺

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Hmm, because many of dieters avoid sugar and im bothered if i do some of it i can ruine my diet :) im asking anything here coz people on mfp are kind and generous towards their answers! Btw thanks for asking though

I was just curious that's all. I guess there are many myths in mainstream dieting. I wonder if people actually know WHY they are told not to consume something.
    Agree ☺, at first time that im in a diet i believe that those mythologies about dieting is true but in the long run i find out that everything is ok in moderation especially those calorie dense foods ☺

Yep. Yay! I like to keep my sugar and cream for my first coffee of the day. If I drink a bunch of coffee, I might start taking the rest black for the day. Compromise/moderation.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes it is okay. Today I wasn't hungry for breakfast so I just nibbled on 6 pieces of Twizzlers for the calories. That's about 7 tsp of sugar. Whatever you want to eat whenever you want to eat it is generally okay, unless it's not okay in your particular case (health condition, makes dieting harder for you, causes you to overeat, does not fit your chosen dieting strategy...etc). In that case, you judge the situation the way you see fit, otherwise, any food you want is okay in the morning and any other time.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Yep. Yay! I like to keep my sugar and cream for my first coffee of the day. If I drink a bunch of coffee, I might start taking the rest black for the day. Compromise/moderation.
    LOL
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I didn't think anyone but me would remember the song- now I can't get it out of my head :)
    Off to YouTube it.

Cheers, h.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, it's okay, but more important is to understand WHY it's okay. 2 tsp of table sugar in the morning is one limited data point in your overall day.

The reasons why some "dieters" might not have that particular 2 tsp of table sugar:

Carbohydrates prevent ketosis which is the basis of popular fad diets, although there are a few individuals who do better on those diets and some who crash big time on those diets.

Also the simple sugar is a high glycemic index food and that's also not good for many people. Each case has to be looked at individually. The 2 tsp you consume in coffee in the morning by itself is not necessarily a high glycemic "diet", it's just a cup of coffee with sugar. How does it add up with everything else in your diet? The glycemic index measures how quickly your blood sugar rises after consuming a carbohydrate. Studies show that those who eat a diet of high glycemic index carbs have the greatest risk of many chronic diseases. If you eat a high glycemic index food, you produce significantly more insulin.

Throughout the day, choose your carbohydrates wisely. They are necessary for optimum functioning body. Carbs spar protein so it can build and repair tissue. Oatmeal, most whole grains, nontropical fruit, legumes, dried beans and peas, and other minimally processed foods usually have a lower glycemic index.

I used to have that little bit of sugar in my coffee, but now I choose not to, not because it's bad, but because I have evolved and make other choices based on knowledge and balance. Like others said, you can have compromise and balance either way.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Sugar is not the devil when it comes to weight loss. Heck, I've gone over my sugar amount almost every day for 2 years and I've lost 100lbs. Don't worry! The only bad thing got weight loss is consuming too many calories. I eat the same foods that I used to when I was obese, just less.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Sugar in the morning is fine, but only after you brush your teeth. No one wants to smell your morning breath.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sugar in the morning is fine, but only after you brush your teeth. No one wants to smell your morning breath.

Hah true words.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Are you a diabetic?
    Nope :)

No problem then, but you brushed your teeth right OP?