USING DIET MEALS FROM THE STORE

Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Its not so much forever... its to get going. I need to drop 20 and it seems this is the only way to really do it that's feasible for me.

You want to drop 20 pounds AND keep it off. The goal really has 2 parts.

When you get to goal how are you not going to be tempted......again? Losing 20 pounds doesn't change future behavior.....you still have the same habits unless you have made an effort to change those habits.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Its not so much forever... its to get going. I need to drop 20 and it seems this is the only way to really do it that's feasible for me.

You want to drop 20 pounds AND keep it off. The goal really has 2 parts.

When you get to goal how are you not going to be tempted......again? Losing 20 pounds doesn't change future behavior.....you still have the same habits unless you have made an effort to change those habits.

This. As I mentioned upthread, if there is this underlying issue with self control around food, such that "if it is there I will eat it" then I believe that needs to be addressed as much, if not more, than the question about ready made diet meals vs making portion appropriate meals for the family.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. I took time away from the forum to rework some things. Anyway, ended up deciding to design my own program. Been doing it 6 days and lost 2 pounds and no, its not about diet frozen meals lol. Those got old after a while and I stopped logging anyway.

Great job!

A nice feature of AllRecipes is you can change the serving size and it will update the ingredients for you. This might be a nice tool for you to create recipes suitable for 3 people.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    When I tried using prepackaged food to limit volume, and they were stacked in my refrigerator, I ended up eating a couple at a time. Totally backfired on me.

Adjust the recipe and cook your meals as needed from scratch.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied. I took time away from the forum to rework some things. Anyway, ended up deciding to design my own program. Been doing it 6 days and lost 2 pounds and no, its not about diet frozen meals lol. Those got old after a while and I stopped logging anyway.

I feel like it's pretty inevitable that the pre-made diet meals get old - I hope your personal program keeps working for you! Plus, if something isn't working, you can just tweak it instead of having to find something totally different.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I was going to say those meals would get old quickly (and they aren't very filling for the calories in them, since they are made with cheap ingredients) but then I noticed the date on the thread. Glad you got it figured out! Congrats on your loss so far.

I still don't understand why you can't do math to figure out how much food to buy to make recipes from scratch. The easy way to keep from pigging out on leftovers is to buy things which have to be cooked to be edible, and only prepare what you need. No one except someone mentally ill ever binged on raw chicken thighs and unwashed turnips!

As far as the carbs are concerned, I'm diabetic so I have to count carbs. I am guessing your doctor is concerned about your blood work? The main thing about preventing blood glucose spikes is the total number of net carbs per meal, with "meal" meaning about a two hour period. So if you only have 16 carbs at one meal, that doesn't mean you get to have more at the next meal. However, you can also lower your levels by exercising after meals - just a simple short walk has been found to help a lot.
  • lclarkewalker
    lclarkewalker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I count carbs to a point. Im a recovered diabetic type 2. My sugars have been stable for 2 years in spite of it all and my a1c has been fantabulous so thats not really an issue anymore, thank goodness.

Im finding its easier to do my own thing. I get a headache if I dicker too much with this stuff. Here's a sample of my snack today:

1 whole pickled egg (I pickle them myself)
    1 tsp light mayo
    1 small squirt yellow mustard

Slice the egg in half, empty the yolk and smash it up. Mix in the mayo and the mustard, mix and stuff both sides. I stick them together... looks like a deep purple easter egg lol 80 calories