Flax seed

Options
Who has a lchf recipe they have found and tried..and tested?

Replies

• Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Who has a lchf recipe they have found and tried..and tested?

I forgot...using flax seed, ground or whole.
  • hlmd2
    hlmd2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that your body can't digest whole flaxseed.. It just passes through your system and you really don't get any benefit from it. You have to use ground flaxseed so that you can get the health benefits..

Has anyone else heard that ?
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too,the seeds need to be crushed or ground in a coffee grinder
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    or you could chew them really good
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I use them ground into flax meal as a replacer for eggs in baked goods that I make for my vegan friend occasionally. Other than that, I'll just mix them into bread sometimes.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I add whole flaxseeds to salad, scrambled eggs and baked potatos.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I put some in my smoothie this weekend. Unsweetened almond milk, protein powder, frozen berries, avocado, spinach, and ground flax seed. If you're keto you could omit the berries to save carbs.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle them (and other seeds) on my muesli.
  • Ketolover71
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I put some in my smoothie this weekend. Unsweetened almond milk, protein powder, frozen berries, avocado, spinach, and ground flax seed. If you're keto you could omit the berries to save carbs.

What type of protein powder do you use? I haven't found any that are worth the expense. Any that are good have carbs. I do use powdered peanut butter. That taste good.
  • Ketolover71
    Options
    Also flax seed ground is like nothing when you eat it carb wise. But I'm looking for some useful protein bars homemade using this. I have made a cracker with eggs and cheese. But nothing to brag about. Still perfecting it.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Very similar to Cream of Wheat in terms of texture/consistency and taste

2 T Coconut Flour (or 1/4 c Almond flour)
    2 T Milled Flaxseed
    1 T protein powder (I use zero carb Isopure Vanilla)
    Cinnamon

Mix together, add boiling water to desired consistency. If you use Coconut flour, it will need more water b/c it really absorbs the water.
    Using Almond Flour, it has approx 250 cals, 3g net carbs
    Using Coconut Flour, it approx 150 cals, 3g net carbs

Sometimes I throw some PB or unsweetend coconut or chopped nuts in there to change it up. I don't like mine really sweet, so for me, the protein powder adds just enough, but you can add sweetener if you want.
  • Ketolover71
    Options
    I made a fantastic 90 second flax meal bread yesterday! Completely easy and keto!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I grind up whole flax seed then add it to smoothies.