Losing Weight as a SAHM

Options
I could write a book on all of my struggles losing weight as a stay at home mom, but I won't. Here are the facts: I have a 9 yr old, 15 month old and a 3 month old. My down falls are having a sweet tooth, and over all, just wanting to snack on the snack foods we have around the house. I'm a navy vet who for almost 11 years got high intensity cardio. I discharged in Aug 2014. I gained about 15 lbs after getting out, and have gained another 11 pounds after having the babies. I'm also a full time student (night classes on Mon and Tue. With class Sat morning). I need suggestions from other stay at home moms. I usually try to incorporate 3 walks per week with the little ones in a stroller (I go for 2.5 miles approximately). We do normally eat out on the week ends more at like Chick fila, or KFC. We had Olive Garden this weekend. I know that doesn't help, but I want to enjoy myself in some way.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Heya, Air Force vet here.

My mom was a SAHM and didn't have any weight issues. We had healthy snacks and no KFC or Olive Garden, and she was very active. She had flower and vegetable gardens and did most of the maintenance on the house. We had a wood stove and bought logs for it, which she chainsawed. My grandfather bought her that chainsaw for her birthday one year. The hammer was called "Mommy's hammer" lol.

Not suggesting YOU have to get a wood stove, lol, but if you want to lose weight while continuing to eat high calorie meals, you'll have to earn them via exercise or cutting back at other meals.
  • kristielove
    kristielove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I get what everyone is saying about the high calorie meals, however, we don't eat out every day. Typically throughout the week the meals are cooked at home and very balanced. Saturday's are when we go out as a family, and we eat out together for enjoyment. I have fruits and plenty of veggies around the house. I like the suggestion of filling up on the veggies, and preparing it ahead of time. I find that when I deprive myself from all non healthy foods, and I don't see much progress, I temporarily give in and over indulge in those foods. But great suggestions, and points taken
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so yeah, the snacking is horrible. I try to avoid buying things I really like (Oreos) and I won't even allow myself small portions of somethings I know I won't be able to limit (Cheezits). I try to skip breakfast, eat high protein for lunch, dinners with the family and really limit after dinner snacking. This can work with big weekend meals too.

Also, maybe workout a standing appointment with your husband to get yourself at least one long weekend workout every week. Or is a gym with a daycare an option?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Theres 2 options for food in my house. Its called take it or leave it. Im in charge of the kitchen and buy what i want folks to eat, they can eat other foods outside of the house

I have 2 high needs children. An 11 year old with disabilities and a 14 month old who after being born 15 weeks has lung disease and development issues so the gym is out.

Instead i used my gym membership fee for the next 2 years and purchased a treadmill, rowing machine and dumbbells (ok maybe more like 3 years lol)

I also carry my son on walks usually on my front but we hike 5 -6 miles on a sunday so he goes on my back
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    It's easy to overeat good food. It's easy to have "once in a while" treat food situations come up several times a week. No, it's not your one Sunday meal that got you where you are. It's every meal, every day. So you can plan to have the calories banked to eat the fried chicken, but if you don't, that can be the 1,000 calories over maintenance in your week that leads to the slow creep over many weeks.

I bought kettlebells because they give me a kick-butt workout in a short time (like, 15-30 min) and don't take much room to store. A gym with a daycare would be amazing if you can afford it, but that wasn't in the cards for us when I was home.
  • alazio
    alazio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another SAHM here. Just a thought, since you have such a disciplined background, maybe you can use that to your advantage here. As a busy busy mom it's hard to add things to your schedule… More home-cooked meals, more workouts, etc etc. I would say to myself, what do I have the military discipline to take away? Can I live with hunger between meals a little bit longer before snacking? Can I get by on a smaller order at that restaurant then I otherwise would? ...that kind of thing. Sometimes doing less is the key.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    SAHM here too. I have a four-year-old, three-year-old, 16-month-old, and I'm pregnant with our final baby, due in July. I've chosen this pregnancy to keep tracking my calories (obviously not to lose weight, just to avoid gaining excess weight) to make the pregnancy easier to manage (I always seem to blow up bigger each time). A couple tips that have worked for me:

1. I try to drink water all day. I keep a quart size jar full of water with a straw on the counter. If I sit down to feed the baby or take a break and check my phone I just absentmindedly drink it. If my stomach is full of water I find I am not "bored hungry," and sometimes I tell myself, after I drink this quart of water, if I'm still hungry, I'll eat my lunch or snack or whatever. And more often than not, the water was what I was truly craving.
    2. I make a big batch of this cabbage soup (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13116/cabbage-fat-burning-soup/) and add ground venison for protein, freezing it in 3 cup portions. If I am hungry I can have a good size bowl for few calories. I think it tastes great too.
    3. I have been doing these workouts on a two-week cycle since I had my last baby. They are short, sweet, and allow for progressive overload as well as getting your heart rate up. There are 13 workouts meant to be done over a period of 15 days, and I do them first thing in the morning which makes the whole day feel like a win. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4v7vnw-E7M)
    4. I go with what my body is craving. If I'm not hungry in the morning, I don't eat. If I am desperate for some cheezits in the afternoon, I go with it and I log it. Last night I was craving peanuts in the shell; I told myself I'd wait until after bedtime but I was just craving them so much! So I just sat down and ate a little bowl and logged it and it was like my stomach was magically happy and stopped complaining. Sometimes I'll eat the bulk of my calories on a snacking spree at 3 PM and I hardly have enough for a small dinner, but I find that since I satisfied my appetite when I was really hungry, I'm not hungry for dinner. I feel like it's hard to tear yourself away from all the popular science/Pinterest tips like the "right" foods to eat and the "right" times to eat them. Figure out what your rhythm is and go with it.

Good luck and feel free to add me if you want :)
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    SAHM to a 7, 5, 3, and 1 year old.

I simply know what I want and stick to it. The kids all eat 5 times per day at the same time and that's it. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. Food is only eaten at the table (unless we're out, of cours) - this makes it FAR less likely that I'll aimlessly graze throughout the day and it's teaching the kids healthy eating habits. I often eat meals with them, but use their snack times to clean up some kind of disaster they've created.

I use the treadmill during nap time. We also have a YMCA membership so I can work put at the gym while they're in child watch there - they enjoy it and I get a break.

Obviously scheduling with an infant is a little more difficult, but getting everyone on a similar (as best as possible) was crucial for my overall sanity! Haha
  • kristielove
    Options
    @panda4153 I only asked for SAHM suggestions bc I feel they can relate more. I too have been a working mother, but find there a many differences and some similarities. Gym is not an option for me. Plus I have a three month old and school work that minimizes the amount of sleep I get. I would say naps, but normally the 15 month old only naps once during the day and that can vary from 25 mins to 40. During that time, the 3 month old normally wakes up to be fed changed etc. or I'm washing bottles, and cleaning up the kitchen in prep for cooking dinner later. As for working out every day, I suppose I could add in 2 more walks per week, but sometimes my schedule won't allow for it, or I'm to depleted to do it. Kudos to those who can. As I stated before, I'm a vet who had to maintain body weight for 11 years. What's challenging is staying at home all day when most of my adult life I've worked. This is where the SAHM pros are insightful. I've only been doing it for 1 1/2 years. It's certainly more challenging than I ever would have thought. That's why I'm here tho
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Im a SAHM of 5 (16,15,12,7 and 4 months). I can relate that it's damn hard work! Naps and showers are a luxury. There's never any time and the lack of sleep is problematic. Sorry I don't have much advice but it does get easier. I forgot how hard this baby stage was until now lol.
  • kristielove
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell yes, it is not easy. I'm so finished with having anymore children at this point. I had a point after bringing the youngest one home, and asking myself "what the hell were you thinking" lol. Between myself and the hubby we are spent. This semester in school has been good but rough too. It's good to be able to converse with someone who understands. How are you managing with weight loss?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell yes, it is not easy. I'm so finished with having anymore children at this point. I had a point after bringing the youngest one home, and asking myself "what the hell were you thinking" lol. Between myself and the hubby we are spent. This semester in school has been good but rough too. It's good to be able to converse with someone who understands. How are you managing with weight loss?

Haha I'm not. Something had to give and sadly it was the weight loss for right now. The funny part is that I was very much into fitness and lifting (still am) but when there is no time there just is no time. Beating myself up over missing the gym or not logging food was getting in the way of enjoying my baby.
  • kristielove
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I understand. I'm just trying to stay on some type of course so I don't regain what I've lost this far, and maybe lose some more
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I understand. I'm just trying to stay on some type of course so I don't regain what I've lost this far, and maybe lose some more

You got this! Baby slept through the night last night and I hope this is permanent so I can get back on track. At least I'm not gaining, I'm eating at maintenance intuitively.
  • kristielove
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell Thanks! I wish you well in your weight loss journey. As a side note, I'm a chef too, well, I completed training at Le Cordon Bleu. Maybe we should come up with good tasting and healthy recipes
  • ghostmountainpants
    ghostmountainpants Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. SAHM mom here. There are great suggestions from everyone already but I wanted to add in one thing that has helped me. Last year I lost 17 pounds without changing anything I ate by doing intermittent fasting. I stopped eating/drinking anything (except water) by 7pm and did not eat again until 11am the next day. It took me awhile to get used to it but now it comes naturally. I've been stuck at the same weight for awhile so I'm now counting calories and starting to finally work out, now that my daughter is old enough for me to. I am continuing the intermittent fasting still. Good luck!